Yam 660xt

The Things We Ride
Mac 60

Yam 660xt

Post by Mac 60 »

Hi guys, Mate of mine {ZX10 pilot} is looking to give adv riding a go and wants something mid range to start with. Looking at one of these. Mainly for trips to Scotland and single track roads use. Lives in N Ireland and wondered how its on trips on A roads and short motorway trips to get into the cuds. Any pro and cons appreciated.
herman

Re: Yam 660xt

Post by herman »

It will do that just fine. I had the R. Only gripes were at sustained higher speeds (trying to keep up with Tramp on a mission to get home before his ankle swelled up making boot removal impossible) I got numb fingers but its a single. The finish can let it down looks wise if not cared for and all the bearings need re greasing from the factory. Most excellent bikes otherwise. http://www.xt660.com/index.php
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

i like my xt660z. read my review of the bike here: http://redbikejohn.com/Tenere%20Owner%27s%20Review.htm

i have ride reports etc of the bike on the website too....
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
cozi70

Post by cozi70 »

I also live in NI and have owned the very similar xtx,but now the xtz model.
I'm very impressed with these bikes,even compared to my main bike (1200gs) . Yes,there is better finished and faster singles but for reliability and economy I think it's good,with plenty of low down power and aftermarket bits available.

SPEN

Post by SPEN »

I've had 3 Xt660x's and a 660 z , great going bike for a single ,very reliable ,both have skinny seats which cut the arse off you and the Z seat pushes you into the tank crushing your balls.I've ridden both around scotland,doing over 350 miles a day on both bikes !! and i'd take anyone of them again without a second thought !!! and i also live in NI (thumbs)
RandG

Post by RandG »

I bought my xt660z from a fella on here and have tripled the mileage it had on it in a year. I absolutely love riding it. If I'm going out solo, it's my weapon of choice, bearing in mind I have a 16 plate triple black GS so I think that speaks volumes. I did a 1000 mile round trip to Wales couple weekends ago, while spending the whole of Saturday trail riding on it, and doing the strata florida all geared up with panniers and camping equipment.

It's not fast but in the right hands it is more than capable, though the 21inch front will take a bit of getting used to when nipping on round corners.....on knoblies :whistle: For single track roads, I cannot think of a better bike, I did Mull a month or so ago over two days and couldn't hand pick a better bike......I like mine :laugh:
Emf#53

Post by Emf#53 »

SPEN wrote:I've had 3 Xt660x's and a 660 z , great going bike for a single ,very reliable ,both have skinny seats which cut the arse off you and the Z seat pushes you into the tank crushing your balls.I've ridden both around scotland,doing over 350 miles a day on both bikes !! and i'd take anyone of them again without a second thought !!! and i also live in NI (thumbs)
Maybe the R has a different shape seat as I found mine very comfy for a standard seat - unlike the standard seat on an 800GS which I found terrible.
cozi70

Post by cozi70 »

I also found the xtx,same as xtr seat very comfy and agree about the seat on the z with it's bump in the middle not being great for lanky me.
I do plan on asking my seat repair guy if he can modify the foam and remove the hump ,which would also involve recovering it ,but I currently don't want to lose the use at the bike for those days while he does his magic. .
Has he seen the cheap black 09 R on gumtree Belfast from yesterday?
https://www.gumtree.com/p/yamaha-motorb ... 1170961912
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

They're brilliant bikes for long distance touring. I've put about 20k miles on my Z and both Steve Packer and Mark R who post here have done a lot more than that on their ones which are the R model.

Carry spare rear wheel bearings if going on a long trip :pinch:
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

AndyB wrote:They're brilliant bikes for long distance touring. I've put about 20k miles on my Z and both Steve Packer and Mark R who post here have done a lot more than that on their ones which are the R model.

Carry spare rear wheel bearings if going on a long trip :pinch:
Replace rear wheel bearings regularly and as Andy says carry spares, and if you plan to fit them also carry a drift to take the old bearing out!

Note, it's always the disk-side one that fails (and sometimes the sprocket carrier one). There are mods available (double width bearing on the sprocket carrier) which I haven't done- I just change bearings and cush drive rubbers every year.

I've done lots of days of 400+ miles, the most I've done in one day is about 780miles.

I would put a sheepskin on the seat to avoid getting uncomfortable if it's hot though but apart from that a pretty comfortable bike (XT660R), but you need the larger screen to reduce the wind a bit.

Return to “BIKES”