Just brought my Africa Twin, quick question

The Things We Ride
skylineonfire

Just brought my Africa Twin, quick question

Post by skylineonfire »

Hello,

I confirmed my purchase of a brand new Africa twin in red, got it for an absolute steal, £9500 on the road. Collecting it Monday morning. I'm just wondering if anyone who has one yet has fitted the Givi luggage to it? I've got the trekker outback panniers to go on which is pretty straightforward with the rails being out for order already, my confusion is the top box.

I have the regular givi trekker top box, not the metal outback like the panniers. What fitments do I need to mount this? Is it just the rear rack plate i.e this http://www.accessorimotostore.com/index ... s_id=21588

Or do I need the M5/7/8 plate to mount on top of this rack? I assumed that would be the case based on what I've read but I've heard a few conflicting reports from other people and I just want to make sure I order the right kit, I've got a plate already, but it'll be going with the bike I'm selling.

Also, does anyone have any crash protection on it yet, and is there a general opinion on the best stuff yet, or is it still to early? Looking to get some bars as soon as possible, they've been lifesavers on my previous bikes. The touratech ones look good but have heard they are near impossible to get hold of at the moment.

Any tips/advice r.e the africa twin, or just general feedback more than welcome, really excited for this bike!

Thanks as always (thumbs)
loudpedal

Re: Just brought my Africa Twin, quick question

Post by loudpedal »

Hi
The Outback boxes go on with Givi PL1144CAM mounting kit
You have to drill two 20mm holes in the plastic undertray.
They give you to very long bolts which go down through the tray and are fitted with spacers.
This is to mount a reinforcing bar under the seat

The Top box will need a mounting kit Givi SR 1144 and either an M5 or M7 plate
It will mount both the ordinary givi trekker or the outback box

GiviBoxesAfricaTwin.jpg
GiviBoxesAfricaTwin.jpg (62.3 KiB) Viewed 1782 times
GiviboxesAfricatwin2.jpg
GiviboxesAfricatwin2.jpg (50.9 KiB) Viewed 1782 times

Loudpedal
jonesthesteam

Post by jonesthesteam »

The Crumbles fitted some crash bars, look good to me.... Jonesy
jonesthesteam

Post by jonesthesteam »

Not sure what happened to the link, try again.....
moto al

Post by moto al »

Hiya ,re crash bars I opted for the Honda ones ,personally I should have waited . Have a look at HOLAN , a dam site cheaper ,and if not a better quality .time will tell . Enjoy your Africa twin . (thumbs) (thumbs) .Al. warts and All (thumbs)
image_2016-04-09.jpeg
image_2016-04-09.jpeg (42.8 KiB) Viewed 1782 times
moto al
jonesthesteam

Post by jonesthesteam »

Balls!! Just look up "the crumble" on YouTube, he's just bought an AT and fitted some Sw Motech bars....

Jonesy
skylineonfire

Post by skylineonfire »

Brilliant thank you everyone, especially loudpedal that really helps clarify things especially for the pannier rack as I didn't realize drilling would be be needed, they've bolted right on the last 2 bikes I've had them on.

Jonesthesteam, thanks for that the SW motech look pretty decent, although right now after a bit of reading the Holan are definitely top of the list, especially since the touratech seem to obscure the decals.

Al, should be okay I got the manual ;) so no DCT to launch me skyward, just buttons to stick and clutch cables to pop out!

How's everyone coping with the tubes too? It's my first bike with tubes since the mountainbike days. A little anxious about learning how to sort punctures roadside, i.e taking the wheel off and switching tubes etc. I do a lot of touring in Europe and hope to go even further afield so it's something I need to learn. can't be much different to a downhill mountainbike, just bigger tyres and levers?!
moto al

Post by moto al »

Hi ,regarding tubes,i only hope technology has moved on ,I remember friggin sore knuckles, trying to repair a puncture in the rain at the side of the road in the early 70s :evil: :evil: . Al
moto al

Return to “BIKES”