KTM 990 Dakar V KTM 1050

The Things We Ride
scoobydidler

KTM 990 Dakar V KTM 1050

Post by scoobydidler »

Did you not consider taking the 990 on our trip gaz? Possibly more suitable for the majority of the terrain? You cant beat options tho :-)

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
BobH

Re: KTM 990 Dakar V KTM 1050

Post by BobH »

Beepee wrote:I bought the last 2014 KTM 990 ADVENTURE in Craigs Motorcycles Dewsbury, possibly the last one in the uk but willing to be corrected.
They were factory discounted brand new at £8500, was a no brainer for me. I liked the Beemer too but a GS would've cost 3 or £4000 more.
I had never even ridden one prior to this. I always personalise my bikes and like them to be different.
It's an awesome machine, all over Scotland camping etc, Ireland for the ulster gp, and down to Italy, back up through Austria Switzerland and Germany 2 up with full luggage over 10 days. 12000 miles over 2 years so far. 1st service done by the dealer and wouldn't trust anyone to do the 2nd. I'm an engineer and incompetence isn't my friend.
Mods, so far, I'll try and put them in order !
Charlies sidestand relocater
Alloy engine guard
Hepco and Becker racks plus luggage boxes
Stainless bolts
Scottoiler
Frame guards
Akrapovics
Wunderlich screen deflector
Ktm heated grips
Ktm orange caps
690 mirrors
Footpeg extensions (homemade with a spare set of pegs)
Oil drain hose conversion
Tomtom rider v5 combined with the RAM and ktm mount behind the screen
Saddleman seat
I've probably missed a few bits, not all necessary, Conti trail attack 2s are though.

Next on the list
Brittania Composites screen and light mod
Rottweiler kit
Woodys wheels
BeePee, just bought a 2013 990 Dakar (rode it home yesterday). After a year now, what are your thoughts about the mods. I need to get mine on the ramp to see exactly what has been done, then plan the essentials. Unfortunately it has stock pipes and I know the cost of changing will be big so will need to prioritise.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Pipe change is vanity, frankly. Spend your money on decent tyres and fuel.
Beepee

Post by Beepee »

[/quote]

BeePee, just bought a 2013 990 Dakar (rode it home yesterday). After a year now, what are your thoughts about the mods. I need to get mine on the ramp to see exactly what has been done, then plan the essentials. Unfortunately it has stock pipes and I know the cost of changing will be big so will need to prioritise.[/quote]

I like my bikes sort of individual. Most changes have been recommended by others, like the sidestand mod which was added before it even had 1 mile on it. Some were weight or performance based like the silencers, take one off and you'll see what I mean !
During maintenance this is where I changed some others too, I did an oil change this morning including screens and filters, cleaned and fettled while I was in there and had her running again in an hour. The hose mod is brilliant.
I removed the rear abs this morning too, can't believe the difference in the pedal feel.
ABS is pish !!!
Beepee

Post by Beepee »

That's a good point on the tyres. The standard Pirellis were great I thought but if you're doing mainly road use the Conti Trail Attack 2 are fantastic.
Mefo Superexplorers will kill you on the road ! Don't listen to Americans ! 2 wheel drift across a dry roundabout at 50mph fair makes you feel alive.........and the brakes are even worse when you've stupid tyres like that on the road.
bowber

Post by bowber »

Get the std silencer cats removed, quite easy for a reasonable welder, it removes most of the weight and makes them run cooler. If the link pipe has rotted through get a GPR 2into1 system, comes with a stainless link pipe.
Normal maintenance is easy once you get to know them so just take the tanks off and put it all back together once when you have time and it'll all become obvious.
Oh and Conti TA2's are very good for road only use.

Steve
BobH

Post by BobH »

Thanks Bowber and BeePee, the bike is fitting between an 1190 and DR650Se so its use will be long roads to off road destinations and travel. Considering it for a trip to Mongolia next year. It needs an MOT so right now I have ordered a new Pirelli front as it just had a new rear, will consider changing them if I take it to Morocco at the end of the year.

Have just sold another bike so the garage funds are flush. I will get it through a KTM dealer service to fix the FI warning that has come up. The cooling plug was only changed last year. Will go ahead with the side stand relocater (where is best to get?), clutch master and hose mod. Going for a touratech locking mount for the Garmin. Will look at Barkbusters or HDM hand guards. Have the original crash bars and considering changing to them as getting to the battery etc will be easier.

Regarding exhaust, I am looking to loose the weight, is it best to go straight to a 2 into1, does that affect the performance? I assume that if it is an option, the single exhaust will be correct. I like the idea of an additional rear fuel tank rather that fitting my Rotopax on the side frames.

Any other suggestions gratefully received
Discoed

Post by Discoed »

I have just waved goodbye to a 13 plate 990 adventure with 17k on the clock and full KTM service history - great bike if you can live with flakey electrics -my fault for riding it through two winters without realising how vulnerable the solenoid and RR are to salt! Replaced it all of course prior to selling. Great bike to ride, crap bike to service with its 4k service intervals and faffy oil changes (even with an oil tank braided hose fitted)

[IMG]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z32 ... tdcqtn.jpg[/IMG]

In the end after 6 weeks trying to sell it I sold it to a Dutch dealer for £5600 which given I only paid £6k for it two years ago isn't too bad I suppose. Kurt, the dealer comes over every week and buys biles with sterling on the floor to sell into the EU market, I suspect he's making a fortune right now!

[IMG]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z32 ... h7zyky.png[/IMG]

Gone back to a German shaft drive shaft drive as most of my miles are on the motorway. The KTM is an engaging and raucus fun bike to ride but its a commitment in terms of maintenance and glitches - high maintenance but great fun. I was sad to see her go in the end.
bowser

Post by bowser »

Loggy wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:31 am Went into the local KTM dealer the other day and they have a Blue 30th Anniversary Dakar 990 for sale with just under 10,000mls on a 11 plate. Next to it was a 15 plate 1050 Adv "very low mileage" bike for the SAME money. A few bikes along was a KTM 1190 Adv, 13 plate, one owner, 13,000mls for £500 more...

Why are the 990's still worth so much money??? Are these 990's that good?
since sombody has just replied to the thread bringing it back to life, the anwser is YES way way way better than the new ones in almost every respect, with exception of loosing out on top speed and, not being able to fit and fix tubeless tyres, other than that fecking A they are the best bike out there
GFJ1

Post by GFJ1 »

There's a nice 1050 up on uk gser. 16MY. 1k miles, some extras, never off road, £7495

Does look good value though I'm no expert on them

Return to “BIKES”