KTM 990 Dakar V KTM 1050

The Things We Ride
Mike54

Re: KTM 990 Dakar V KTM 1050

Post by Mike54 »

Richard Simpson wrote:Probably the most vital mod to a 950/90 is a sidestand relocation kit.

I got a Blackdog one from Zen Overland...quite easy to fit and you can't see it once it's there.

The standard setup puts the sidestand bolts into the crankcase...hit the stand hard or hit the bike hard when it's on the stand and the crankcase can crack...and you will be late home for tea!

I don't know how the sidestand is attached on the 11whatever.
Interestingly its the same - and the BDCW bash plate has the relocator. Bloody lazy of KTM not to sort that out, frankly.
Beepee

Post by Beepee »

I bought the last 2014 KTM 990 ADVENTURE in Craigs Motorcycles Dewsbury, possibly the last one in the uk but willing to be corrected.
They were factory discounted brand new at £8500, was a no brainer for me. I liked the Beemer too but a GS would've cost 3 or £4000 more.
I had never even ridden one prior to this. I always personalise my bikes and like them to be different.
It's an awesome machine, all over Scotland camping etc, Ireland for the ulster gp, and down to Italy, back up through Austria Switzerland and Germany 2 up with full luggage over 10 days. 12000 miles over 2 years so far. 1st service done by the dealer and wouldn't trust anyone to do the 2nd. I'm an engineer and incompetence isn't my friend.
Mods, so far, I'll try and put them in order !
Charlies sidestand relocater
Alloy engine guard
Hepco and Becker racks plus luggage boxes
Stainless bolts
Scottoiler
Frame guards
Akrapovics
Wunderlich screen deflector
Ktm heated grips
Ktm orange caps
690 mirrors
Footpeg extensions (homemade with a spare set of pegs)
Oil drain hose conversion
Tomtom rider v5 combined with the RAM and ktm mount behind the screen
Saddleman seat
I've probably missed a few bits, not all necessary, Conti trail attack 2s are though.

Next on the list
Brittania Composites screen and light mod
Rottweiler kit
Woodys wheels
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

Mike54 wrote:950/990adv are decent offroad. terrible if you're tall unless you make big changes. weird geometry for me. 950 SE far far better all round, but rads are too small, only one fan, oil tank vulnerable, fuelled too lean from the factory etc etc. Mega bike though.

950/990 are terrible on the road really. They can do road, just not very well. 1050/1190/1190R far far better on the road. As good offroad? Well the 1050 has cast wheels but for the most part would be fine for what most people use them for offroad ie the odd bit of gravel. will do that on road tyres no problem like most bikes. 1190R is a capable offroad bike, just look at the chris birch videos. also far better on road than the 950/990.

looks wise, 950/90 wins really. dakar heritage, meoni etc etc and lets face it, that is the biggest reason people like them above everything else.

1190R for me - the world is changing, carb bikes are dying off and will be history in 20 years, museum pieces lets face it. like it or not, electronics are the way forward, and the 1190R is a mega do it all machine. cant wait to get one into the desert
Terrible if you're tall? this is where I win for once.

At 5'8 the 950 is great for me trail or road. I don't suffer from any of the buffeting or feeling cramped. Rode my last one all over Europe and loads of trails and never had an issue.

For once being a shortarse wins :laugh:
one-legged adventurer
bowber

Post by bowber »

I'm 6'3" and find the 950 very roomy, especially compared to a VFR750.

Good bikes off road but I'd not want to drag one out of a bog, the carbs are very smooth and make them relatively easy to ride on rocky going.
I find mine fine on road too, plenty of power but I suppose that depends on what your used to! The handling is good and you'll not have a problem getting rid of the bobbles on the edges of road based tyres.

If you do your own servicing they aren't too bad, took mine to bits to see how everything went and now it's no harder than any other bike I've had.
If you do get one and take the tanks off you'll find they don't seem to fit but they do go back on, apparently they change shape a bit as they are sat off the bike.

I'm going to put mine on a diet this year, my shed is a bit of a pain to get in and out of so getting it out can get a bit hairy!

Steve
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

I'll clarify what I mean by terrible if tall - sitting its fine, but standing offroad I can't do it at all, so I cant use the bike for its intended purpose
steve172

Post by steve172 »

I don't necessarily agree the 950/990 can't do big road miles.... I've done a 500 mile day on mine, with the majority of that on motorway (south of London to Central Scotland), and apart from regular bum shuffling it wasn't that difficult & 55mpg.
RichP

Post by RichP »

steve172 wrote:I don't necessarily agree the 950/990 can't do big road miles.... I've done a 500 mile day on mine, with the majority of that on motorway (south of London to Central Scotland), and apart from regular bum shuffling it wasn't that difficult & 55mpg.
Totally agree. Had my 950 for 8 years and on more than one occasion rode from Briancon in the Alps to Leicester just stopping for food and fuel without too much discomfort. I did find it a bit too big off road though so I changed it for a 690, but 400 miles in one day is as much as I can take on that - horses for courses I suppose. :)
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

I'm quite tall, and you do need higher bars or bar risers if you want to stand up for any length of time. I'm such a crap rider that I sit down most of the time so it doesn't worry me much...I did put the KTM bar risers on though.

But I found mine comfortable to ride on the road...I used to edit a magazine which was based near Dartford in Kent.

I lived in Gloucester...and used to do the return journey on 'proofing day' either end of a busy and pressured working day.

It was far more relaxing...even in winter...than doing the same journey by car. I took the car once and it took over five hours to get home....took about 3 on the KTM.
luckiegar

Post by luckiegar »

love mine to be fair use the 690 a lot at moment , but going to spain Portugal on the 990 in summer with missis she don't pack light :S and its always been fine for two up road work in the passed cant wait to ride it to be honest , done some serious off road on mine to as well I know what mike means you feel a bit like your arms are tucked under your shoulders bit short between foot pegs and bars , but to be fair very good bike off road till it goes wrong then its a sod to lift on your own
drdaveboy

Post by drdaveboy »

bought my ktm 1190 at premier bikes and did look at the dakar 990 i am really impressed with the 1190 and wish id bought one sooner prefer more than the 2 x 1200 multistradas i had and verses 1000 tiger 800 xc etc etc

Return to “BIKES”