Scooters/mopeds

The Things We Ride
bond_yzf

Scooters/mopeds

Post by bond_yzf »

Right I've never owned a scooter/moped and I'm thinking buying to commute on 40 miles a day total.

Anyone on hear do it?

I'm looking at the lexmoto's which I know are Chinese and I do expect the wheels to fall of and it to explode in a shower of shit but any info would be appreciated.

Oh it's a 125 4 banger

Otr £999 with 2 years warranty
halfpint

Re: Scooters/mopeds

Post by halfpint »

buy anyting jap or italian not crap not prc why give yourself the problems . it just not worth it. you can buy a second hand honda or yam for a grand
herman

Post by herman »

That will buy you a Honda pcx or similar which will loose £100 or so in two years if you look after it and sell very quickly. The cheap new one will be in a skip by then. I sold a 110 lead recently for £80 less than I paid for it a year later and it had a few battle scars. Get one with the bigger wheels if you can, I hated a Piaggio we had as it had the small wheels then had a Peugeot tweet which was blessed with good brakes and big wheels, chalk and cheese to ride.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

I had a gillera 180cc runner good for 75+... Real good at 60mph...scary when wet on roundabouts...the 2Stroke gillera are rapid....or get a boring sensible value for money honda....any scotter is commuting in traffic heaven...just get used to the lag from when the throttle is turned...
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Out of your budget I guess, but the maxiscoots which have a proper engine in frame setup are brilliant bits of kit. I had a 600 Honda Silverwing that was pretty bloody amazing. Bit big for Big City urban commuting but tons of luggage space and quick off the line up to about 80, max out at 110 and superb weather protection for a commute or motorway. The Piaggio big uns go like sh** off a shovel. The big Gilera/Piaggio 3 wheelers are awesome but hold their money well... Yams little 3 wheeler seems interesting, but pointless here in the UK.

The smaller 400cc Suzuki and Hondas maxiscoots are also good and more affordable

However, I am with the other posters on it surely making more sense to find a tidy mainstream make scoot that will depreciate slowly if at all... Honda's 125 PCX is like a baby version of the Silverwing and feels well built and put together. Goes OK for urban use.
Maljones

Post by Maljones »

I use a Honda innova 125. Good on fuel (100++ mpg) big wheels and keeps up with traffic no problem. Can probably pick up the later fuel injection model for that price as well. Screen and topbox job done :)
image_2016-03-19.jpeg
image_2016-03-19.jpeg (69.77 KiB) Viewed 1625 times
Uncle Buck

Scooters/mopeds

Post by Uncle Buck »

I used to use a BMW C1 which I loved. Sold it when I didn't commute anymore. Brilliant in the rain.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

bond_yzf wrote:Right I've never owned a scooter/moped and I'm thinking buying to commute on 40 miles a day total.

Anyone on hear do it?

I'm looking at the lexmoto's which I know are Chinese and I do expect the wheels to fall of and it to explode in a shower of shit but any info would be appreciated.

Oh it's a 125 4 banger

Otr £999 with 2 years warranty
I bought my son Lexmoto FMX125 Four months ago. For his commute to work.
Which I guess is the model your looking at.
It's pretty big for a scooter, he's 6'-3" and it fits him well
I've rode it and it's very comfortable and plush. It feels and looks better than £950's worth.
The service intervals are very short, but as he's mechanically challenged the 2 year warranty is pretty important to him so he ensures he keeps to the schedule and has it dealer serviced.
The main stand has bent and he's waiting for a new one under warranty. It died on him last week on the way to work, I picked him up in my van and dropped the bike off at the dealer, they sorted it the same day.....they adjusted the carb and it's been fine since.
If you get one, coat the mat black exhaust in multiple layers of paint straight away, otherwise it'll be red with rust in no time.
It's pretty slow, my younger son had a Yamaha Vity 125 and that was much more lively. Top speed is just about 55mph on the flat and it can get pretty embarrassing going up hill.
I think there's a big bore kit and exhaust out there which will improve things.
bond_yzf

Post by bond_yzf »

Yeah it's the fmx Steve

Thanks for the info
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

Would you think about a little 125 like the Honda CG.

They last for ages, you still get to play about on it, and resell for exactly the same as you bought it.

You can stick a whopping great box on the back for carrying all your stuff, and then not have to worry about refilling it for 200 odd miles, and when you do it'll only cost a few quid.

I'm rapidly becoming a big fan of 125's. So much more thrill throwing it around corners :)
image_2016-03-19.jpeg
image_2016-03-19.jpeg (94.37 KiB) Viewed 1625 times
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)

Return to “BIKES”