Versys 650 or V Strom 650

The Things We Ride
gteps

Versys 650 or V Strom 650

Post by gteps »

Currently looking into purchasing a second bike, mainly for commuting and a little fun.
Been looking at both the Kawasaki Versys 650 and the Suzuki V Strom 650 (used)

Anybody on the forum owned or ridden either who could provide some feedback both positive or negative, things to watch out for etc.

Many thanks

gteps
Current Bikes:

BMW R1200GSA

Yamaha TT600R Belgarda
Ken Shabby

Re: Versys 650 or V Strom 650

Post by Ken Shabby »

Ridden both and own a Mk.3 650 Versys.

The only person who would want a VStrom over a Versys for road use is a person who's never ridden the Versys IMO. Proper 160/120 road tyres, better brakes, much livelier engine which makes the VStrom appear flabby and lifeless (TT racers use nothing other than Kawsakis...).

Versys is so reliable the owners' forum is a boring place to be TBH...my last one (Mk.1) stood outside for 6 winters under a cover, had four oil changes in 20K miles, never let me down once.

The Versys is an unloved, underrated and unappreciated gem - which is great if you're a buyer as it makes it a bargain used.
steve172

Post by steve172 »

Personally not ridden or owned either, but don't think I could live with the ugly face of a Versys.

But in saying that, I have a 990 Adventure so maybe my opinion on aesthetics is invalid.
jonesthesteam

Post by jonesthesteam »

Not had a V Strom but have owned a MK1 Versys 650 for the last year or so, the best bike I've had, does everything I need (I don't take it off road), 100% reliable, lively engine although you need to keep the revs spinning above 4K to get the best out of it but the engine loves revving, suspension is a little choppy at times but I am on a standard set up that's now 10 years old so that may be part of the reason. I believe the latest version is better than the MK1 in most areas but I haven't yet been tempted to change because mine is just so damned good.

If you are in Devon and want to have a go anytime just drop me a PM

Jonesy
skipper

Post by skipper »

both are very good underrated and reliable bikes. versy is a little more sporty than the strom but the strom is probably the better for touring and also the bigger front wheel gives it the advantage for light off roading.had both and find the strom the better all rounder.
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

I've owned 2 Versys' ( the only bike I've ever land 2 of) and ridden the Vstrom .. On the road it's no contestthe Versys wins hands down.. Off road the Strom can at least get suitable tyres ... The Versys with off road wheels would be perfect ...
robson

Post by robson »

I have test ridden new v-strom 650 xt and I loved it, very comfortable, nimble
and well build. I like the spoke wheels also, what I liked less is engine which you have to rev more then usually you would. I hated the donald duck face though.
Teflon Jnr

Post by Teflon Jnr »

I have a mk1 650 versys and love it been all over on it Ireland tour been Scotland west Wales rally just back from the Malvern Hills taking her to France in June and ride it everyday it never misses a beat ridden a v strom and hated it had I agree with Ken shabby ride one you'll love it
Jesus rides a Harley and the devil wears prada

๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ช ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช ๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ท ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ฒ ๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡บ
onslowe

Post by onslowe »

Hi, I have the MK1 Versys and it is plenty of fun on the back roads and quick enough to 90 with a top end of 115. The finish is respectable and they are reliable. Whilst they are OK for touring I guess the V Strom would be better in that respect as it feels a lot bigger and probably more relaxing on the motorway. The handling is good but suspension a bit harsh at lower speeds and there are some vibes as with most twins. Depending on your budget I would either get a MK3 as they improved many minor issues or save money and get a MK1. I happen to think they all look OK, at least a bit different from the norm so worth a punt.
bigfoot

Post by bigfoot »

Hi

My dad owns a new shaped v Strom and my wife owns the old shaped one.

I've ridden both and taken out a versys a few times.

I would say I prefer the v Strom over all

The versus does handle slightly better but you get used to that very quickly and you stop noticing

The v Strom has a much smoother engine and for my height and build is comfier.

Engine on the Strom is tuned for touring and both bikes went to Croatia aand back no problem with high fuel economy. They were fully loaded with 3 weeks of kit.

Budget for a new can and it breathes freer and releases a smoother power curve.

Versys is an excellent bike but just didn't seem to suit me for touring so try both.

Have to say haven't ridden new shaped versys though.

Return to โ€œBIKESโ€