Versys 650 or V Strom 650

The Things We Ride
Tonibe63

Re: Versys 650 or V Strom 650

Post by Tonibe63 »

I had a 2007 Mk1 650 versys and enjoyed it as a fun bike ideally suited to A/B roads and Uk speed limits when riding solo. It was quick to turn, relatively light, really slim for filtering and the engine was 'fruity' if you were happy revving it.
It was a second bike for me and a potential 1st bike for her indoors but she didn't go for her test and I found after an hour or so I got bad pains in the back of my thighs/knees due to the footpegs being too high (5'11", 15 stone).
I did test ride a Mk1 Vstrom and found it to be slightly roomier/bigger all round, it was also more comfy with a lazier feel to the engine and ride generally.
At the time we were starting to do more 2 up touring for which the GS was better suited so the Versys was sold as it didn't get used.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Alan29

Post by Alan29 »

Had a 650 strom for 3 years and 30,000 miles. Trips all over France 2-up, including the Pyrenees. 80 mph all day. 65mpg regularly. Only ever had/needed regular servicing. No issues at all. Great bike.
But try them both if you can. what suits me doesn't suit someone else.
gteps

Post by gteps »

Thank you for all the feedback and personal reviews, I have decided that the Versys 650 is likely to meet the needs I have as a road based commuter and I'm now looking at good condition used machines.
Lots out there so It won't be long I'm sure before finding the right bike :-)

Thanks again

gteps
Current Bikes:

BMW R1200GSA

Yamaha TT600R Belgarda
Throttled

Post by Throttled »

There is a very good UK Versys Forum and there are often used bikes for sale there.
YBR125 > KLE500 + KLE650 Versys Tourer
Teflon Jnr

Post by Teflon Jnr »

I'm on the Versys forum good lads
Jesus rides a Harley and the devil wears prada

๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ช ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช ๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ท ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ฒ ๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡บ
ianwill

Post by ianwill »

I have a MK3 Versys 650 and love it, very comfortable, great on the juice and it loves to rev.

I liked the look and feel of the V-Strom 1000 Adventure at the recent Scottish Motorcycle show and if and when I move up in engine size I shall definitely check it out.
waynecoluk

Post by waynecoluk »

Well if you haven't already bought a Versys I'll give a different review.
I had one for 4 months and didn't get on with it at all. The seat was the most uncomfortable thing I have ever sat on and had to get off every 30 miles or so it was that painful. The vibrations were very poor and made the riding experience poor and I had just come from a Ducati. I did a tour of Scotland on it and had I known what it was like I wouldn't have gone or used a different bike. The engine is "nippy" to about 70 or so then drops off but hey the speed limit is only 70 so fair enough.
The plus points were the handling as it is quite light and fuel economy was good. But they were the only good things about the bike I found. I traded it in for a Versys 1000 and it is only the same bike by name everything else is completely different and the 10-15 mpg drop in economy is absolutely worth it for the riding experience.
For a commuter round London for example then it probably is fine but for doing 10-12000 miles a year on and European tours on it was lacking.
However everyone is different. I have 2 friends who loved theirs so take both bikes out for a test ride ( I would try the 1000 as well though).
2016 BMW 1200GSA

2013 Triumph Street Triple
Old Geezer

Post by Old Geezer »

Alan29 wrote:Had a 650 strom for 3 years and 30,000 miles. Trips all over France 2-up, including the Pyrenees. 80 mph all day. 65mpg regularly. Only ever had/needed regular servicing. No issues at all. Great bike.
But try them both if you can. what suits me doesn't suit someone else.
+1 Got the V-Strom, 2010, 24,000 on clock when I got it, all good miles including a trip to Morocco. Since I got it had tours in France for last 3 years in the Alps, Provence and other areas. Also around Mosel area in Germany. Just 1 up but panniers and camping gear. Can't fault running and fuel economy, ave 63 mpg with range go at least 250 miles to the tank full.
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

I once owned the Wee Strom over the Versys cos its physically bigger and fits me better, its rep for supreme reliability and even though its an ugly bike, its still better looking than the Versys with its hideous front end.
Boggs

Post by Boggs »

I owned a Mk2 Versys 650 for 4yrs,brilliant motorcycle which never failed me once,took it through forests,rode it through the snow,toured all over the highlands and the yorkshire dales on it.I only sold it because i fancied a change for the sake of changing,but afer 2yrs,im now coming back to the Versys but it's gonna be a Mk3 this time,they are cracking bikes.

Return to โ€œBIKESโ€