The Honda Africa twin 1000 , warts and all.

The Things We Ride
moto al

Re: The Honda Africa twin 1000 , warts and all.

Post by moto al » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:18 am

Just remember lads consumer law is different north of the border,a friend in the legal profession told me on another matter ,re a Camera ,in Scotland the consumer has far more rights than folk south of the border.Al
moto al

Pre-order your limited edition ABR T-shirts
AndyB

Post by AndyB » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:24 am

I wonder if Honda would make him sign a non-disclosure agreement if they did give him something extra as a gesture of goodwill just to prevent the floodgates being opened?

I managed to get a grand in vouchers from a well known kitchen and bathroom supplier after they failed to deliver goods on time and left us without a kitchen for 2 weeks simply by putting a picture of the gutted kitchen on their Facebook page for an hour or two :laugh:

Mike54

Post by Mike54 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:39 am

moto al wrote:Just remember lads consumer law is different north of the border,a friend in the legal profession told me on another matter ,re a Camera ,in Scotland the consumer has far more rights than folk south of the border.Al
Al, the Consumer Rights Act 2015 covers the whole of the UK. In fact though, interestingly enough, consumers in scotland have one key difference in that they only have 5 years to deal with a defective product as opposed to 6 in Englandw/Wales/NI - so technically they have less rights, not more.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about ... -act-2015/

Oop North John

Post by Oop North John » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:32 am

So how many people based their buying decision on Honda's past build history, hoping it would be the same on the latest AT?

boboneleg

Post by boboneleg » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:11 pm

Oop North John wrote:So how many people based their buying decision on Honda's past build history, hoping it would be the same on the latest AT?
I would imagine quite a lot, I've owned several Hondas in the past and the build quality was good. It'll be a real shame if it turns out that this bike ruins their reputation.
one-legged adventurer

AndyB

Post by AndyB » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:40 pm

Oop North John wrote:So how many people based their buying decision on Honda's past build history, hoping it would be the same on the latest AT?
If that's recent history it's one thing but if you're looking back to the '80s when they were at their [strike]worst[/strike] best for throwing rubbish at unsuspecting buyers not many :pinch:

Oop North John

Post by Oop North John » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:50 pm

AndyB wrote:
If that's recent history it's one thing but if you're looking back to the '80s when they were at their [strike]worst[/strike] best for throwing rubbish at unsuspecting buyers not many :pinch:
True, no reports of chocolate cams on the AT, so far :(

And I'm not Honda bashing as even the mighty BM's seem to have more build issues than in the good / bad old days, and most forums seem to bemoan the build quality of ver 2 of the bike over the original. Assuming it has a similar engine configuration / size which the AT hasn't.

catcitrus

Post by catcitrus » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:31 pm

AndyB wrote:
Where did that come from?--in my experience late 80s hondas were very well built--I have two at the moment and they make recent stuff look absolute sh1t on quality. Now if you are talking about a design faults that's another issue.

Nigel

Post by Nigel » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:43 pm

catcitrus wrote:
AndyB wrote:
Where did that come from?--in my experience late 80s hondas were very well built--I have two at the moment and they make recent stuff look absolute sh1t on quality. Now if you are talking about a design faults that's another issue.
Knock knock who`s there? CX500 :laugh: chocolate cams!

Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:46 pm

Nigel wrote: Knock knock who`s there? CX500 :laugh: chocolate cams!
I wouldn't touch a new AT with a bargepole, however I can report that my CX500 suffered no mechanical issues and it and my CB400Four were two of the best built bikes I've owned.

(the worst? - a Ducati..)

Return to “BIKES”