The Honda Africa twin 1000 , warts and all.

The Things We Ride
motorbike

Re: The Honda Africa twin 1000 , warts and all.

Post by motorbike »

in that case you should wait till early next summer and pick up a discounted second hand one..by that time most of the teething problems should have been highlighted
moto al

Post by moto al »

I'm just back from a run to Moffat in the borders , what a great day read 16 air temp on the bike . Not a wart In sight . (thumbs)
image_2016-03-20-2.jpeg
image_2016-03-20-2.jpeg (58.46 KiB) Viewed 1611 times
moto al
rlkat

Post by rlkat »

moto al wrote:I'm just back from a run to Moffat in the borders , what a great day read 16 air temp on the bike . Not a wart In sight . (thumbs)
image_2016-03-20-2.jpeg
Al, is there anything you miss about your NC that the AT doesn't do?
I've no idea how to add a signature.
moto al

Post by moto al »

I thought the NC was a great bike,it saw me through a bad time in my health ,the NC got my confidence back .Now the Africa twin is a completely different beast . I would compare it 2 the early BMW 1200gs ,in which I covered over 30k on bikes that didn't belong too me. But that's another story .going back to the Africa Twin it do,s all the gs will do but only better.today I met up with some old pals in Moffat ,Ron one of my pals has just ordered a new BMW Gs 1200 adv ltd edition in motorsport colours . Now the price well over 18k with the toys. I don't know about your good self ,but I certainly wouldn't pay that sort of money for a gs.. Cheers you did ask .Al (thumbs)
moto al
EricKTM@

Post by EricKTM@ »

650ginge wrote:God that dash is horrible.....1970's sic-fi.

I still thinking this could be a good bike for me. But can't get a ride on one here in Ireland and it will be August before there are any DCT's.
M50 honda in dublin have a demo and lee honda in cork also have a demo. Both manual bikes.
"In the spirit of adventure, open to all riders and carrying a message of friendship between all men"- Thierry Sabine 1977 founder of the Paris Dakar -
loudpedal

Post by loudpedal »

650ginge wrote:
God that dash is horrible.....1970's sic-fi.

I still thinking this could be a good bike for me. But can't get a ride on one here in Ireland and it will be August before there are any DCT's.

M50 honda in dublin have a demo and lee honda in cork also have a demo. Both manual bikes.

Belfast Honda have a DCT demo

Loudpedal
650ginge

Post by 650ginge »

Good to know.

Is Allens near portadown gone now?
IainD

Post by IainD »

-Ralph- wrote:
EricKTM@ wrote:When you finish riding a new flag ship model which you enjoy and you get onto your 12 year old girl to go home and she puts a bigger smile on your face the the new bike it's just not time yet.
Very true. That's why I can't bring myself to change my Daytona 995i. The triple engine is full of character, 147bhp is plenty, the throttle butterflies are connected directly to my right hand with a cable, the suspension is good enough, the handling is good enough, no slipper clutch you need to be in the right gear at the right time, no electronic rider aids. It's just me and the bike and you have to ride it properly and have sympathy with all the controls. Whenever I swap bikes with a mate who just bought the latest and greatest, they still come off my bike with a big grin on their face.

Riding a new sports bike is epic, and in many ways any new sports bike beats my Daytona hands down, but you can't escape the fact it feels like a playstation game which could be piloted by a gorilla, and I can imagine the newest adventure bikes are now going the same way.
The 955i Daytona is a beautiful bike, really easy on the eye and a great ride too.

I loved mine (55 plate, single sider, black frame, racing yellow) but became too sore on my wrists, neck and knees, so it had to go. The confidence the front end inspired was awesome.

Now have a VFR800fe and a Trannie 700 so definitely into middle aged man bikes now.

I like the the looks and spec of the new AT, but can't see what (real world) benefit I would get over either of the bikes I have.

Oh dear, at this rate the car will be being changed for a Honda Jazz...
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

IainD wrote:
-Ralph- wrote:
EricKTM@ wrote:When you finish riding a new flag ship model which you enjoy and you get onto your 12 year old girl to go home and she puts a bigger smile on your face the the new bike it's just not time yet.
Very true. That's why I can't bring myself to change my Daytona 995i. The triple engine is full of character, 147bhp is plenty, the throttle butterflies are connected directly to my right hand with a cable, the suspension is good enough, the handling is good enough, no slipper clutch you need to be in the right gear at the right time, no electronic rider aids. It's just me and the bike and you have to ride it properly and have sympathy with all the controls. Whenever I swap bikes with a mate who just bought the latest and greatest, they still come off my bike with a big grin on their face.

Riding a new sports bike is epic, and in many ways any new sports bike beats my Daytona hands down, but you can't escape the fact it feels like a playstation game which could be piloted by a gorilla, and I can imagine the newest adventure bikes are now going the same way.
The 955i Daytona is a beautiful bike, really easy on the eye and a great ride too.

I loved mine (55 plate, single sider, black frame, racing yellow) but became too sore on my wrists, neck and knees, so it had to go. The confidence the front end inspired was awesome.

Now have a VFR800fe and a Trannie 700 so definitely into middle aged man bikes now.

I like the the looks and spec of the new AT, but can't see what (real world) benefit I would get over either of the bikes I have.

Oh dear, at this rate the car will be being changed for a Honda Jazz...
Snap!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
moto al

Post by moto al »

image_2016-03-21.png
image_2016-03-21.png (892.33 KiB) Viewed 1611 times
image_2016-03-21-2.png
image_2016-03-21-2.png (919.72 KiB) Viewed 1611 times
A Scot abroad (thumbs)
moto al

Return to “BIKES”