AJP PR4 Enduro Extreme?

The Things We Ride
SteveR

AJP PR4 Enduro Extreme?

Post by SteveR »

Anyone here got one please?

Pondering a purchase, but wanna sit on one first...* Also get a bit of feedback on real world "performance" of the bike. Not just speed, but range, potential for a bit of luggage with a silly arse rear fuel filler etc etc.

* Got a localish dealer who might have one in a week or 2, but there are a couple of other time considerations here...
special one

Re: AJP PR4 Enduro Extreme?

Post by special one »

Have a real good look over it, all ajp bikes are budget bikes, in my opinion, this shows when you look at the bikes close up, attention to detail is lacking, again in my opinion.
Current bikes...

2003 KTM 950 adventure in silvery blue...

2013 KTM 450 exc-f in orange /white

2007 Scorpa SY250 trials in blue.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Thanks. Not seen one in the flesh recently, but at the price they are charging, budget price is not an insult ;)
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Is that the one with the Rally Faring/Nav Gear/uprated Suspension/WC Engine?
If so, I guess they were a special build and not cheap, it'll have low miles.......but it will have been raced.
rallymoto

Post by rallymoto »

no mate the pr4 is a standard bike ,the pr5 is the one used for the rally conversion and is bomb proof !!!!!
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

rallymoto wrote:no mate the pr4 is a standard bike ,the pr5 is the one used for the rally conversion and is bomb proof !!!!!
hmmmm, pr5 bomb proof. Id have to disagree. Been on 2, broke both, 1 in a matter of hours, the other minutes. And I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary on either.
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

special one wrote:Have a real good look over it, all ajp bikes are budget bikes, in my opinion, this shows when you look at the bikes close up, attention to detail is lacking, again in my opinion.
I'd agree with this. I've got a PR5 Enduro Extreme and the suspension is fantastic, I think it's better than the 2011 or so KTM 350 EXCF I had (whichever was the first year). Top spec Marazzochi forks and Sachs rear shock. The wheels are really well made, the handlebars and levers are nice.

But... the switchgear is cheap. The bearings are rubbish (replaced wheel bearings, steering head within 18 months, the swing arm and linkage were just about OK. The plug cap and HT lead were rubbish and I replaced when quite new. The cable routing needed attention.

If you're willing to make sure the PDI is done right (or get it from a dealer you know and trust) and keep on top of the service- replacing the crap bearings etc. then I think it's a lot of bike for the money and frankly I don't want a lot of power off road, the PR5 makes the power in a way that I like.

As to the engines, can't speak for the PR4 but I believe it's pretty solid. I can't complain about the PR5 except the first one I had wouldn't start when warm (decompressor needed tension changing). A friend regularly rides with a group of them and I've heard no horror stories from him.

However... I don't think it is really an 'enduro extreme' bike, more a very accomplished trail bike.

I'm probably going to keep my 2014 for another year or two and then think I'll chop it in on a new one- would certainly consider another AJP quite seriously.
rallymoto

Post by rallymoto »

gotta speak as you find ...two years rallying and development on this bike and it had an oil leak on the last event !!!!!!!!!
The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

I had one on test kindly supplied by the agent in the South West aka 'Dragon Wheels'. From a ride perspective it was excellent, great suspension, steering so it went where you pointed it and braked really well. I liked the ride height and ground clearance which for me at 5' 8" was perfect. Putting it through its paces at Walters arena and the length of Sarn Helen I only had one negative comment, the power output for me was a tad laboured, just felt it could do with a few more horses, but to be fair I was riding a DRZ 400 on trails then and a KTM 200 EXC for sheer exhilaration so a big contrast. The engine in the PR4 has been around a while, bored out XL185 if I am not mistaken? and for me 18 bhp is just below what I want when Offroad. I had no issue with the finish, really liked the cast ally frame and the plastics were no worse than the Beta, Gas Gas and newer KTMs I see. Value for money I think they are excellent if you intend to keep it, resale is not great on them though so bare that in mind (thumbs)
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

rallymoto wrote:gotta speak as you find ...two years rallying and development on this bike and it had an oil leak on the last event !!!!!!!!!
Agree, everyone has different experiences with bikes. Mine were just not the best with 2 of these.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed them whilst they were operational. But the first, the older air cooled was dropped on snow and the gear lever penetrated the casing. Oil everywhere. Had to be recovered. The second, last year, water cooled. Only on the bike 20 mins before the clutch went. It wasn't abused or treated differently than any other bike I've been on. (and this bike only had 300 miles on the clock).

Return to “BIKES”