advice on triumph explorers

The Things We Ride
Spike941

Re: advice on triumph explorers

Post by Spike941 »

I've had my 63 reg Explorer from new, two minor recalls and no issues to date. Before that I had a 07 reg Tiger 955i. Also no issues. On the Explorer I've ridden down to Corsica, around Ireland and down to Spain. Off to the Nordkapp in June. As others have said, the engine is superb and the bike has one hell of a turn of speed. Ok, the Triumph luggage could be better, but it's worked for me. The screen needs to be changed to suit, and the seat really ain't that comfortable. I use a big double sheepskin.

Comfort + Zero buffeting + superior luggage capacity = A Car.

I can't compare it with an S10 or a GS, as I've ridden neither. I personally don't like the look of the S10, and everyone's got a GS. (They've obviously got something right, whether it's style or substance, so can't knock 'em) On resent runs down the Grand route of the Alps, I estimate 80% of the bikes I passed were GS's. I really must take one for a spin, just to see what all the fuss is about.

Enjoy making your choice.
heilanlad

Post by heilanlad »

Just to throw another thought into the pot – I bought a '12 plate Tiger 800XC last year and immediately took it, with girlfriend, full panniers, camping gear etc from N. Scotland down through Europe to Lake Como and back. 4,000 miles in 10 days. It was comfortable (I'm 6'3"), capable and didn't miss a beat. Just saying – if you're looking for something that's nippy, fun to throw around, good for some off-roading but still comfortable for a long haul, it's maybe worth considering.
Mac 60

Post by Mac 60 »

Sleepy wrote:
Mac 60 wrote:Why did i buy one ? Oh yea the BMW dealers were twats :whistle:
So you didn't buy a bike purely because you didn't like the dealers.. what a weird decision.

My 14 year old bike hasn't seen a dealers since 2002..

Maybe but it diddent seem weird at the time. I was tradeing in a 2012 HD fatbob and a 2012 KTM990R. Basically they wanted the KTM for next to nothing. Sold the HD private and traded the KTM in elsewhere for £2000 more than the BMW dealers offered.
anthony29040

Post by anthony29040 »

Mac 60 wrote:
Sleepy wrote:
Mac 60 wrote:Why did i buy one ? Oh yea the BMW dealers were twats :whistle:
So you didn't buy a bike purely because you didn't like the dealers.. what a weird decision.

My 14 year old bike hasn't seen a dealers since 2002..

Maybe but it diddent seem weird at the time. I was tradeing in a 2012 HD fatbob and a 2012 KTM990R. Basically they wanted the KTM for next to nothing. Sold the HD private and traded the KTM in elsewhere for £2000 more than the BMW dealers offered.
pauls 990 was mint aswell (thumbs)
anthony29040

Post by anthony29040 »

allanmac wrote:I find the S10 to be quite easy going but if I want to fling it about it goes well for a fat lass :lol:. Dont know if you will ever take it off road but standing on the yam is a much nicer position than on the explorer for me anyway. Valve clearances only need checked every 24k & servicing it is quite easy in general. There is nothing Ive not managed at home stuck a manual cct on mine at just under 50k bcos it was getting to be slightly noisy if sat for a few days.

Cheers Allan
hey you they may be fat but there gorgeous. (thumbs)
anthony29040

Post by anthony29040 »

i have owned a 2008 gs 1200 a 2011 tiger 800xc and now own a s10 they all have been fantastic bikes and all reliable.they all had things i liked and hated the gs was in my opinion a bit poor on build quality and a bit flat,but the most balanced bike i have ever owned and a good feel good factor,the tiger 800xc i fell in love with from mile one as everybody say brilliant engine in my opinion build quality was very good ,road through two winters and not one rusty bolt on engine casing good wheels and paint work,never broke down and it had 43,000miles on it when i traded it in.the s10 my current bike in my opinion again fantastic build quality dead easy to work on not that anything has gone wrong,handles brilliant goes about the same as the tiger 800 which is very good ,loads of low down grunt the most economical out of all 3 bikes and best range,seat is a bit firm but i have the low seat was thinking of sending it to tony archer for a gel pad put in it.so i would say all modern bikes are good,ride as many as you can and buy the one that makes you smile.but dont buy a early honda crossrunner dont ask.hope this helps cheers tony.
parabiker

Post by parabiker »

wait for me wrote:I bought a new explorer in 2012 -

Great engine and i found it very good for long distance riding.
It was however, very top heavy and the build quality was piss poor.
I did a track day on it, the taffy dakar on it and binned it off road in Scotland once at about 40. The oem crash bars work !

I sold it 18 months ago and bought a twin cam GS Adventure.

Personally i find the GSA bike better in every respect and better at everything than the Tex was was by a country mile except outright performance.

Hate to say it but "told you so" now go and by a decent tent such as the Karsten Carp cotton inflatable jobby.......
coops!!

Post by coops!! »

Bought a new Xc TEX last year having ridden the 800xc for 3 years. I like the explorer but it is heavy. Otherwise great bike, fantastic engine (particularly for the road) and in the Xc format looks better than the super tenere, for example. No problems yet and seems well put together.
JonnyBravo

Post by JonnyBravo »

parabiker wrote:
wait for me wrote:I bought a new explorer in 2012 -

Great engine and i found it very good for long distance riding.
It was however, very top heavy and the build quality was piss poor.
I did a track day on it, the taffy dakar on it and binned it off road in Scotland once at about 40. The oem crash bars work !

I sold it 18 months ago and bought a twin cam GS Adventure.

Personally i find the GSA bike better in every respect and better at everything than the Tex was was by a country mile except outright performance.

Hate to say it but "told you so" now go and by a decent tent such as the Karsten Carp cotton inflatable jobby.......
Yes, you did :blush:
When nothing is going right - go left
V_King

Post by V_King »

if it is a second bike, I would go for either tiger 800, if you need the SUV credentials or tiger sport, which imho is more of a all rounder.

tiger explorer is more for the d1ck measuring on paper than riding focus. I found it a bit agricultural :dry:
""

Return to “BIKES”