Best touring bike up to 3k

The Things We Ride
Will

Re: Best touring bike up to 3k

Post by Will »

-Ralph- wrote:
The Sarge wrote:There is a low mileage Tiger for under £3k on Fleebay at present .

Jesus, low mileage, but 3 grand for an 02 plate?

Old Adventure bikes are a rip off at the moment.

Two comparable bikes that'll do exactly the same job, they just look different and don't have the Adventure tag

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... &logcode=p

Good finds there Ralph the exhaust on first one looks bit odd parallel to ground
Bsa A10
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Will wrote:
-Ralph- wrote:
The Sarge wrote:There is a low mileage Tiger for under £3k on Fleebay at present .

Jesus, low mileage, but 3 grand for an 02 plate?

Old Adventure bikes are a rip off at the moment.

Two comparable bikes that'll do exactly the same job, they just look different and don't have the Adventure tag

Good finds there Ralph the exhaust on first one looks bit odd parallel to ground
it does, looks like someones extended the hanger with another part
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

Interesting comment about the 1050 Speed Triple engine. I never knew that. I had an early '05 Speed Triple and mine didn't suffer oil usage problems despite riding it hard but what I did notice in 10,000 miles was:

a). it would easily go out of 'tune' and feel a bit flat or not crisp, if that makes sense? I used to get a Triumph TOR tune done at least once every year.

b). the electrics were temperamental. Not Italian style temperamental but still slightly annoying. The Triumph immobiliser was a pain in the arse at times and on more than one occasion it would struggle to fire up or even cough when out on the road. And it ate batteries in the cold weather.

However it was a great bike and it never ever let me down but I always had a niggling doubt in my mind that it might do...again, if that makes sense :huh:
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Alan29

Post by Alan29 »

There are plenty of V-stroms and TDMs on e-bay under £3000.
They would certainly do the job.
economix

Post by economix »

+1 for the Varadero but very top heavy and you will drop it fully loaded unless you have thighs like Arnie or are very careful as to where you stop it.
Killed mine last year(and nearly myself), same as you I'm looking for a new mount. Have narrowed it down to a CBF1000 which a mate owns and I know the provenance and a Tiger 955. Just a bit concerned the Tiger might be as big and heavy as the Vara.
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Kinioo wrote:
-Ralph- wrote:As said, loads of options, you need to narrow it down a bit TBH. What style are you after, Adventure, Street, Sports Tourer, Tourer?
Fair point,

Was thinking along the lines of XJR, BMW Rs, big bandit, big versys.

Don't like sports bikes due to riding position probably the sportiest I would go is VFR.

Don't like GSs either.

Chris
This is a problem when you ask the question on an Adventure bike forum it would seem.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

Scott_rider wrote:The Triumph immobiliser was a pain in the arse at times and on more than one occasion it would struggle to fire up or even cough when out on the road. And it ate batteries in the cold weather.
I had to disconnect my Datatool S4 on the ST outside the Triumph dealer in Ajaccio after it failed, I re-fitted the OEM connector block myself, after the dealer took 1 look at my predicament and shrugged his shoulders & walked away. Luckily I knew how to do it and was prepared, plus with a little assistance over the phone from my local dealer in the UK, on which mode (ferry) I should put the alarm in before yanking the plug out. This left the alarm/immobiliser chirping mildly like a budge rather than a ear splitting alarm until the internal battery died
rdonson

Post by rdonson »

IMG_0069.JPG
IMG_0069.JPG (72.48 KiB) Viewed 1778 times
May be looked on as over priced and not a tourer but I did 28k miles last year on an Africa Twin. big tank, mild manners,takes luggage well,800 mile days. with no faults/trouble at all, The only mod a Corbin seat...
trophydave

Post by trophydave »

Will wrote:
The silencer on the ST is adjustable,the picture shows it in the lower position for when luggage is fitted.
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

Are Trans Alps any good. You can get them very cheap.

Return to “BIKES”