BMW K1600.

The Things We Ride
sprintster

Re: BMW K1600.

Post by sprintster »

I've heard of a Goldwing called a lot of things before,but never a sports tourer! :laugh:
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

andymac wrote:My mate's had 2 of them. They where in bmw more than he rode them and lost £9k in the first year,,,,,ouch!!
He has gone back to a 1200 wc rt.
Yep
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Bart1 wrote:A mate of mine also had the near identical experience......the phrase ending in bargepole springs to mind.
Yep
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Sleepy wrote:It's always 'a mate' that's had a dog... ;)
OK will tell you exactly who's had a dog, and who's seen loads of them, one was my ROSPA observer, lunched on it's own gearbox at Calais, only 300 miles after he'd picked it up from the dealer, the second was a driver for SOS motorcycle recovery, who are contracted out by BMW assist, he told me they'd been a nightmare, and he'd recovered loads of them.
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

No need for a sheepskin rug or a vario screen on my Tiger Sport, will sit at 90 mph all day long in absolute comfort. I do have the optional gel seat though.

Of course, it's a pure road bike, with 17" sports touring tyres front and back. My reason for having it as opposed to a tourer like a Trophy, or a sports tourer like a Sprint, is I like sitting high up and seeing over the top of traffic, and over hedges. Same reason the majority of new car sales are now crossovers.

I'm also 6ft and 16 stone, so I find it more comfortable than a Sprint. I also find on some tourers like the Pan European, that's there's too much wind protection, so it causes a low pressure in front of you, pulling you forwards and giving you a sore back.

The Tiger just fits me, I love it. I also found the same when I rode the Crosstourer.

The Sprint 955 however Sprintster, is a serious mile muncher, comfortable, wind protection just right, powerful and smooth, however I'm just slightly too long in the leg for the contours in the tank at the knee, so I feel a touch cramped there.
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

Having riden out with a few of them from the local BMW dealership, I can assure everybody that they are very quick off the mark!!!!
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
sven

Post by sven »

Probably like the majority of GS owners, I never ride off road, but love the riding position, comfort and versatility of an adventure bike. None of the road orientated sports tourers with upright riding positions have a decent pillion seat except for the R1200RS. The Tracer, GSX-S and Z1000SX are definitely for solo use.

I had a 2012 RT before the GS LC and it was definitely a better fast tourer when fully loaded with the missus and luggage, but it was nowhere near as much fun playing in the Lakes or Dales on a weekend. It could hustle on fast twisty roads though, whereas a K1600GT may struggle as it's just too big :huh:

Return to “BIKES”