Any MG Stelvios out there?

The Things We Ride
ianrd

Re: Any MG Stelvios out there?

Post by ianrd »

I owned one 2 years ago great bike a real bike,but it was to big for me. I have a wilbers rear shock for a Stelvio, will sell cheap it will lower the bike by 2.5 cm
BIG DON

Post by BIG DON »

B)

As Marc in a earlier thread I once owned guzzi's and would consider one of the latest models. But as well as the clutch grown do you guys know of any difference [except the obvious] between the 2 & 4 valve models, I have heard of much trouble with the 4 valve rocker and tappets and special kits to try and solve the issue.
Campagman

Post by Campagman »

There are basically 2 versions, the original with the 18litre tank and the facelift end 2nd version via a 32litre tank and slightly different bodywork to fit the ginger tank.

The 4v and 8v engines are basically the same, the both have 4 valves per cylinder, then the much later ones I think have the roller cams and improved fuelling with 2 lambda sensors.

Rider aids are just ABS on some bikes, mine doesn't have it. Don't believe any traction control, electronic suspension or mapping features have ever been offered on any variant

The none NTX variants have a 189 rear tyre, the NTXs have a 150 which allows more tyre choice especially around non road tyres. The face lifted models did have a cast wheel version, but the NTXs are spoked (but no tubes - offing son each spoke)
jonny955

Post by jonny955 »

All the 'big tank' models use a 150 section rear tyre, whether spoked or cast. I know owneres who have retro-fitted the wider 180 spoked rim to these models and also the Norge rear wheel allegedly fits (180 section & cast).

Much has been made of the flat tappet vs roller tapet engines. There are many high mileage flat tappet engines that have been perfect over several model years and I also heard Guzzi's decision to change to rollers was to make the engine run a bit quieter.

Still, most potential buyers would be steered towards the roller tappet engines for peace of mind.

Jon
fiatman

Post by fiatman »

I have one this four years a 2008 model non abs, had the cracked fork axle pinch bolt problem but this happens on lots of makes. Clutch groans every cold start but hasnt been a problem. Have been on a number of trips and it performs faultlessly, love its all day comfort easy to live with. i do all my own work simply because they are so easy to work on think its staying forever, great value for money. Best of all when its parked in a row of bikes its the one that gets the most looks especially in red.
fiatman

Post by fiatman »

Went to the BMW main dealers the other day with a friend who has a new air cooled GS for its first service, staff came out to him and told him there was a problem and it would cost £2000 to fix, mate nearly had a canary until they told him it was under warranty. While waiting two guys pulled up in nearly new air cooled GS's, they came over for a chat, turns out they were panicking as they had heard rumors about front fork problems. The Guzzi always draws attention and I had several people come over invariably they always get round to the question does it give you any bother??? bit rich really considering their own experiences. One battery, tyres and an annual service which I do myself for half the price of a BM one and thats been it. We covered about 200 miles that day, two GS's one air cooled one water cooled, the Guzzi averaged 49 mpg and we were at 80 mph for a lot of the way passing everything. The Stelvio still ticks all the boxes for me.
vermin

Post by vermin »

I had a 2011 NTX the most comfortable bike I have owned but vibration problems made me change to an Explorer. The tappet problem is on all 4valve engines it happens when the engine overheats and the oil film between the cam and follower breaks down. I have Guzzi mates who have done over 60,000 miles on stelvio's but they have had cams etc replaced.
I did my m/cycle apprentiship on Guzzi/Ducati in the mid 70's and I run the South Wales Guzzi Branch.

Return to “BIKES”