BMW GS Adventure or Triumph Explorer??

The Things We Ride
JonnyBravo

Re: BMW GS Adventure or Triumph Explorer??

Post by JonnyBravo »

I swapped my 12 plate Explorer that i bought new - for a used BMW GS Adventure on an 11 plate

the BMW is so much better in every respect in my opinion, except outright speed.

I took the explorer both off road and on a track day - it was shit off road, far too top heavy but was excellent on the track day
(I even did the Taffy Dakar on it) and I binned it off road on the road down to slaggan bay in Scotland at about 35mph. The crash bars worked well!

I took the GS down to Spain on the HISS this year - it was absolutely sublime. It is the best bike I have ever owned by far. Master of everything needed in a motorcycle for me.

I traded my explorer in for the BMW in Norwich - I rode 3 hours there on a shitty November day - swapped to the BMW and rode home. I knew in 5 mins from leaving the dealer it was the right choice for me

Finally, people knock the BMW build quality but the Triumph was much worse in terms of fit and finish
paint rubbing off the grab handles, fasteners rusting etc and it had so much recall work done and new parts fitted it should have had a 'Q' plate! However, Triumph were up front about the work needing doing and the dealer was excellent at BS in Stoke
When nothing is going right - go left
waynecoluk

Post by waynecoluk »

I've ridden both and tbh they are both great. It will come down to which one feels better for you.
IMO the Triumph had the better engine and was grunty as hell. But the GSA felt fantastic and I liked the idea of the extended range. Maybe the new Explorer will have that option when it comes out.
If I was doing more road riding it would be the Triumph, if I was going to do a lot of light offroad I would go for the GSA.
2016 BMW 1200GSA

2013 Triumph Street Triple
special one

Post by special one »

Why is massive tank range a big deal? Are you guys riding your bikes in remotest Africa where fuel is scarce?
200 mile range is more than enough, by then 99% of people want a stretch so refuelling then is welcome.
I've done lots of miles in Europe and never had trouble getting fuel.

Just remember a bike carrying an extra load of fuel is also heavier so you're using more fuel to carry more fuel.
Current bikes...

2003 KTM 950 adventure in silvery blue...

2013 KTM 450 exc-f in orange /white

2007 Scorpa SY250 trials in blue.
shed

Post by shed »

I've just watched the YouTube video of Charlie boorman on stage with carl foggerty promoting the new triumph explorer
xtgaz

Post by xtgaz »

nether yamaha xt 1200 (thumbs)
JonnyBravo

Post by JonnyBravo »

special one wrote:Why is massive tank range a big deal? Are you guys riding your bikes in remotest Africa where fuel is scarce?
200 mile range is more than enough, by then 99% of people want a stretch so refuelling then is welcome.
I've done lots of miles in Europe and never had trouble getting fuel.

Just remember a bike carrying an extra load of fuel is also heavier so you're using more fuel to carry more fuel.
Then i am in the 1% as I was often frustrated by having to refuel the Tex so often

And - the GSA is lighter than the Tex when both fully fueled up ( or certainly bloody feels it )
When nothing is going right - go left
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

The percentage of motorbikes that have a fuel tank bigger than 20 litres can't be that high either.

I ride 500 mile plus days, and I've learned that the easiest and nicest way to do that is over 10-14 hours depending on whether motorway is used, with a stop every 60-90 minutes.

If I had a 33 litre tank I'd have stopped 6 times before I needed fuel.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner »

I've just watched it too, I thought Boorman was a BMW man!? Bike looks good though :)
heavy

Post by heavy »

xtz1200
sven

Post by sven »

I still miss the fuel range of my old R1200RT as I prefer only having to fill up once a day when touring (I tend to ride around 250 miles/day in Europe). My GS LC does around 200 miles to a tank, so isn't bad, but still slightly frustrating.

Much as I like the GSA LC, I prefer the large supermoto feel of the standard GS as it's a bit of a hooligan (thumbs)

I never really considered the Explorer as I haven't liked the other Triumphs I've ridden. The T120 looks interesting though :)

Return to “BIKES”