a simple question for once

The Things We Ride
AndyB

a simple question for once

Post by AndyB »

Which bike do you most regret selling and which bike do you most regret buying?

I know that's 2 questions but they kind of fit together (thumbs)

Mine are very easy and probably not what some would expect of me but hey, you have to think about the answer with regards to the time it happened.

The one I regret selling was a BMW R100RS which I sold to buy a car and a smaller bike because of impending parenthood. I used that bike for commuting, holidays and shopping and it never let me down, went well enough and was actually fun to ride.

The one I regret buying was the Honda FT500 I replaced it with because it was a pig to start when hot, handled abysmally (even compared to the boxer) and was just a turd in disguise.

I've had many other mistakes regarding bikes I've bought & sold but they're the two that really stick in my mind.
Scott_rider

Re: a simple question for once

Post by Scott_rider »

Most regret selling...1994 Honda FireBlade CBR900RR... :( this was one of the first Foxeye models and it was 6 months old when I bought it. I'd put a Dynojet Stage 3 kit on it and it was fast with a capital 'F'. I know it's not big and it's not clever and it was probably very, very silly but back then we regulalrly rode on the wrong side of 150mph on the FireBlades... :ohmy:

Most regret buying...a brand new 1995 KTM 300 EXC :blink: ...just too much of a handful for me, it would spin up the rear wheel on the road sections in the first three gears no matter what the conditions were like. I felt like it it was going to kill me so I went back to a 250 :blush:
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

I cant say Ive ever regretted buying or selling any bike, and Ive bought some lemons. The thing is the lemons end up being keepers because I know them inside out and they owe me to much to sell.

You could say selling my Africa Twin to buy my 300exc was a sale and purchase I should regret; especially as the EXC lunched its engine on its first ride.
But I still have the EXC and love it and I saved for my 950.
If it hadn't cost me so much I probably would have sold it to help fund my 950.

Ive never sold a bike to fund anything but another bike so that helps I suppose.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Regret selling Suzuki GS1000E
Regret buying Kawasaki Z250
The Wilbur

Post by The Wilbur »

Regret buying Suzuki DRZ400S

Regret selling the CCM404DS that replaced the DRZ

:whistle:
SUCK : SQUEEZE : BANG : BLOW

www.f650.co.uk
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

Regret selling Honda Africa Twin RD04 in 1996, but since found and bought again. So that's OK then.

Regret buying Honda ST1100 in 1996. Brilliant bike but didn't excite like the Africa Twin it replaced.
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

I regret selling my 2003 KTM640ADV, I had a 950ADV as well at the time and I thought that I should just have one or the other, I just should have kept both.

I've never really regretted buying any bike but a 1980 KL250 I had for a couple of years did try my patience.
one-legged adventurer
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Hmm, most regret selling My KLX250 as it was super easy to use on trails.

I most regret buying my DR650. Its a great bike but I have not had the chance to ride it this year. I could have waited a year, saved up and got something new. Since I've had it its needed a fair amount of work too. Hopefully next year it will earn its keep.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
ChasF

Post by ChasF »

Not really a regret because I sold it for much more than I paid for it but the Suzuki SP400 I had was a really horrible bike.

The bike I most regret selling was a 1980 MG Spada Royale. It had all the usual Moto Guzzi foibles but it was so comfortable on long journeys (many 500/600 mile days easily passed). Never been surpassed by anything since.
Mac 60

Post by Mac 60 »

Missed my Honda CB1300 SA when i sold it. Such a good looking bike. Biggest regret was my KTM 990R. Nothing but trouble but it may just have been a bad egg. :whistle:

Return to “BIKES”