Who actually uses their bikes?????

The Things We Ride
Phil

Re: Who actually uses their bikes?????

Post by Phil »

Was chatting to a bloke the other day who wants to get a brand new bike (CBR600) and currently has a Thurndercat. He said he's had it 2 years and done 2000 miles!:ohmy:
LargeWayRound

Post by LargeWayRound »

Ah well

Its good for people who wish to buy low mileage second hand bikes.
Filagen

Post by Filagen »

Totally with you, use your bike as much as you can, if it aint for riding it is an expensive investment with huge depreciation. My vara will be eleventy seven hundred miles too soon, this means bigo service, bought it Sept last year. Usally cycle to work 15 mile round trip and leave the bike for the weekend ride around Wales, or with the ABR club if its raining. Keep it up, keep on biking, sod the car, they're for poorly people and ladies.

I know it is not easy, suit, shoes, kids, etc, but nothing is easy. If you can't bike everywhere, so what; it doesn't make anyone less or more by using a bike. The only thing I will say for those with the opportunity or make the choice to use your bike daily, good for you, gold star on the board.
Sprockette

Post by Sprockette »

LargeWayRound wrote:Ah well

Its good for people who wish to buy low mileage second hand bikes.
I steer clear of those like the plague. A well used, regularly serviced bike will always get my vote. Been bitten several times buying an older, low-mileage bike now. At least 5,000 or 6,000 miles per year of age is good in my book. You can never be sure the low mileage is due to it having problems or whether someone has just not ridden it much.

Hornet 600 was 3 years old, had 1,400 miles = huge electrical problems
DR-Z400S was 5 years old, had 3,000 ish miles = engine ate itself
GS500E was 5 years old, had 7,500 miles = undecipherable problem with cylinder dropping and bad fuelling, in several different garages for over 2 months straight, pain in the neck.

Bandit 650SA 5 years old, 25,000 miles, only a small issue with the exhaust (which should have been picked up when they "completed" the sale MOT, tut tut, naughty naughty) but easily fixed = brilliant!

I'm sure not everyone has had problems like this but it seems to be a recurring one for me so this is my Self-Defence Against Bad Bikes method of buying.
LargeWayRound

Post by LargeWayRound »

Sorry about your issues buying lemons sprockette .

I guess any second hand bike going to have something wrong with it , just like SH Cars..

:):(

p.s. dont get me started on S/H Cars .. I have the worst luck :blink:
herman

Post by herman »

Well I used to do lots of miles on my bikes,I always bought sports tourers and went to rallies,demos,europe,etc. Then a small person came along and I found myself a weekend warrior only going out for a pointless blast. My bike became a rarely used toy until I bowed to pressure from friends and returned to enduro bikes which rekindled my interest somewhat. Still don't do mega miles but the ones I do are fun and usually a challenge. As for all these low mileage adv bikes kicking about....good,I want one. :)
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I have to use a company van for work and in summer I only get home every other weekend but I still go out on one of the bikes every chance I get and always have 4 or 5 trips to Europe over the year where I can ride the bike every day for the duration of the holiday.

It does make me laugh when people comment on sports bikes with low mileage and assume that the owners are fair weather riders because I've got a ZX10R that I've owned from new for nearly 7 years and it's got 12k miles on it but in that time I've put over 30k miles on other bikes and ridden a lot of miles off road where mileage is only part of the story. Several of my friends also have sports bikes with low mileage yet most of us do a big winter trip every year whether it's to the Elefant (we're going again next year) or to Norway where we can stud the tyres on trail bikes and act the idiot for a fortnight.

Never judge an owner by the miles on their bike because sometimes you'd be making a mistake.
Francis Begbie

Post by Francis Begbie »

Nowhere near that many , i've probably done 20k in the last 2 years, although only a couple of thousand this year since getting a car i've become lazy and use that for getting to work instead. Its just easier sometimes to have an extra 10 mins in bed and not have to get to work 10 mins earlier to take your gear off. Also with the time of day i start and finish work theres never any traffic about so it makes no odds.
GB

Post by GB »

35m mile commute a day, don't own a car 6000miles in 3-4months, trails at the weekends, two trips abroad so far and another 2000mile one next week :cheer:
Finally back on a GS :D
Dodgygeeza

Post by Dodgygeeza »

Hi, I ride my Xtz750 daily to work and back about 15miles. I used to ride more than I do now but since having the kids, and the missus working any hours that I`m not, so I`m left babysitting, 'adventure miles' are not so many. But get out whenever I get the chance, sometimes even just ride to the shop instead of walking. Takes longer to get kit on, get bike out etc, than to walk to the shop and back twice but why not!!!

My neighbour buys a new sports bike every couple of years, then spend thousands on kitting it out with new exhaust, the latest team colours etc. It then only gets used for local bike nights or occasionally on a sunday afternoon. On the odd occasion when they venture further afield, normally to a race meet, the bike is transported in a van nearer to the destination before being wheeled out to ride the last bit :blink:

Return to “BIKES”