Well can we be tempted by electric??

The Things We Ride
davsato

Re: Well can we be tempted by electric??

Post by davsato »

A few years ago I would've bought a Vectrix electric scooter thingy, 60mph, decent range, it would've been perfect for my commute during the week but it was £8k, which was more than a base 1150GS at the time.
Dave
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

Battery technology and the cost of batteries will have to move on some way before i'll be interested in totally electric cars & motorcycles. Although i can see them having their market in off road bikes that dont need a large range of mileage.
Ebikes are an interest of mine and battery and electric motor suit this leisure transport fine, but currently thats where it ends for me.
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

250 mile range and charge in 30 minutes (I'd stop that long for a coffee and a bite to eat after that kind of mileage anyway), and yes electric will be fine for me so long as they make the same torque as a 1000cc bike.

The issue in future is going to be the charging, there's a couple of charge points at each motorway services now, but imagine the day when every vehicle in the car park needs connected to one for 1/2 hour. There's going to be a he'll of a queue unless they stick one at every space.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I'm sure I've said it here before but the Chinese are already well ahead of the Japanese when it comes to developing electric motorbikes.

I've yet to ride one but a long time friend of mine races one in the European Championship and he says they're very hard to ride because the characteristics of the motor are completely different to an internal combustion engine. I've been offered a ride on one for a few laps but it'd be on a "you bin it, you mend it" basis so I keep saying no.

I might be tempted by the KTM electric freeride if they weren't so expensive :pinch:
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

AndyB wrote:I'm sure I've said it here before but the Chinese are already well ahead of the Japanese when it comes to developing electric motorbikes.

I've yet to ride one but a long time friend of mine races one in the European Championship and he says they're very hard to ride because the characteristics of the motor are completely different to an internal combustion engine. I've been offered a ride on one for a few laps but it'd be on a "you bin it, you mend it" basis so I keep saying no.

I might be tempted by the KTM electric freeride if they weren't so expensive :pinch:
I had a long test ride on the Zero DS and after 5 minutes you forget it's electric...still plenty of mechanical noise and other than being twist and go, you soon just think of it as a motorcycle...had linear torque which made overtaking easy...it's controlled up to 30 to prevent you flipping it, but after that it's all the same....I would have one if the price wasn't currently so ludicrous...Like Zookman, I also have an electric pushbike which is also an eye opener....
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

-Ralph- wrote:250 mile range and charge in 30 minutes (I'd stop that long for a coffee and a bite to eat after that kind of mileage anyway), and yes electric will be fine for me so long as they make the same torque as a 1000cc bike.

The issue in future is going to be the charging, there's a couple of charge points at each motorway services now, but imagine the day when every vehicle in the car park needs connected to one for 1/2 hour. There's going to be a he'll of a queue unless they stick one at every space.
Truth is , most riders commute less than 30 miles and for leisure only go to their nearest burger bar/ cafe...a 100 mile range would suit a large % of bikers..
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Gedge wrote:
-Ralph- wrote:250 mile range and charge in 30 minutes (I'd stop that long for a coffee and a bite to eat after that kind of mileage anyway), and yes electric will be fine for me so long as they make the same torque as a 1000cc bike.

Truth is , most riders commute less than 30 miles and for leisure only go to their nearest burger bar/ cafe...a 100 mile range would suit a large % of bikers..
True, wouldn't do me though, I do 500 mile days at least 8-10 times in a year.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

Did anyone see the electric mtb at the dirt bike show? Despite the cost my mate and I were very interested as we hoped to zoom around silently on trails and b/paths but alas in the UK anything with any ooomph is classed as a proper vehicle so mot license insurance etc etc another fail.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

I don't necessarily think range is the problem. Lets face it the re are also much fewer moving parts, so service costs should be minimal. The biggest challenge would be 'refuelling'.
How long would it take and where can you recharge, especially if out for a days riding.
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

Zookman wrote:
SteveW wrote:PedElectric bikes are fun.
Who wouldn't want to take this Bultaco off road?
Because it's got pedals and its silent I'd take it anywhere I'd take a normal push bike.
Who cares if it's not legal, I don't.
image_2015-11-29.png
Looks well cool and i'd love a go on that..... but ride that on a road and you'll be nicked as soon as a copper sees you. They'll do you for no registration plate, no Tax & insurance and no crash helmet if you aren't wearing one. They will also take the bike off you there & then.
No.
They'd stand there scratching their bits wondering what it was!!
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.

Return to “BIKES”