New ADV bike from SWM

The Things We Ride
dragonwheels

Re: New ADV bike from SWM

Post by dragonwheels »

appleseed wrote:dragonwheels, any idea when/if we will see the x variant in the UK?
couple of months I hear...
"Never trust a man who tells you he never feels the need to get drunk, he's either lying , or not paying attention"
appleseed

Post by appleseed »

Any idea on the cost?
dragonwheels

Post by dragonwheels »

appleseed wrote:Any idea on the cost?
It'll be euro 4 so about £500 more than the rrp of the Superdual (that's only euro 3 derogated ATM), but I think he X will have all the bells and whistle's as extra's at cost, so it may be the same base cost - or slightly less even, still waiting for details from Italy..can't say for sure yet...
"Never trust a man who tells you he never feels the need to get drunk, he's either lying , or not paying attention"
Mikekitts81

Post by Mikekitts81 »

There is one in worecester for just over 7000 I went looking the other week while I was at the 3 counties show ground they also have the 300 500 rs and the 650 supermoto ...to be honest thou didnt like the superdual at all had black matt wheels that looked really cheap and a lot of the other things on the bike didn't seem to good on build quality... now as for the 650 and the others I really was impressed by them they were better than I thought I had been looking at them for a while but no local dealer had any in nearest dealer that had one in was dave Clarke in Preston who had the 500 in and said I could take it out for a ride but just not the same as I wanted to try the 650 ... I wish I would have gone worecester few weeks earlier as the guy at the shop said he had just got rid of he's 650 and if I would have gone while he had it he would have let me take it out to try ... but seeing the superdual in person put me off it just wasn't wat I expected at all guess it's just each to there own thou ....
All things built not bought . The only way is adventure .
appleseed

Post by appleseed »

Just for reference sake the "x" version doesn't have the boxes, associated rack and has 21/18 inch wheels (possibly other changes too?).
I test rode the "t" version and really liked it. There were some ergonomics that i would need to get used to, mainly the depressions in the tank could be an inch higher but that's my fault for being tall.
Personally I am looking for something to fill the KLR/DR/XRL/XT660Z gap and think think the X version will be it and do a better job.
bond_yzf

Post by bond_yzf »

Had a look at this at the tt event and it looked cheap and tacky in places imo
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Mikekitts81 wrote:.....I wish I would have gone worecester few weeks earlier as the guy at the shop said he had just got rid of he's 650 and if I would have gone while he had it he would have let me take it out to try ... but seeing the superdual in person put me off it just wasn't what I expected at all guess it's just each to there own thou ....
You missed a bargain, as there was deffo some wiggle room on the price of the demo 650 ;-) I test rode it and loved the motor and transmission, ergos were not right for me though.

As others have said the super dual on 21/18 and minimum luggage kit looks a likely contender for a genuine overland big trailie.
#
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

i can see it being spot on in the xt660 klr class ..my thoughts are mixed as the weight of 180plus kgms seems to have spiraled from the 650r doner bike
engine is ace but service intervals of 3000 are bit skinny and correct me if im wrong that includes a valve clearance check as per the husky shcedule ?not insurmontable but a bit skinny
price at another 500 is then 8200 ..it starts to look like the 650r is abetter staring point at 145 kgms and 5700 quid ?

personally ill be waiting to ccms take on the engine and chassis ..i know their target weight is 135kgms thats straight from the cad designers mouth
ill also expect tractive and whitepower suspension ..hopfully that will appear as prototype at the nec
im only being truthful when i say i cant see what it brings new over a xt660 klr 650 class engine being nicer but at half the servive intervals ? ..the yamaha t7 is also iminant in that weight class and that is a pretty tempting motorcycle
its usp is not clear ...its not weight ..its not performance ..its not suspension and dare i say its not price its fair to say that a single cylinder 180kgm bike fitted with fastace forks at over eight grand is not tempting me at the moment
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
nathanthepostman

Post by nathanthepostman »

Yeah I'd agree with all that Minky. Service intervals do seem short. And agreed, once that £700 gets added for Euro 4 it's not going to be cheap, arguably too expensive.
In terms of weight it doesn't feel anywhere near 180kilos. That's heavier than my Terra TR650 and it felt lighter than that. Tough one, objectively it doesn't stack up, but I'll be honest, it was the nicest single I've ridden and I'll accept to not having ridden all. Different league for enjoyment to KRL650/Tenere, in my opinion. Not quite as light as CCM but that engine more than makes up for it, and CCM, if they're keen to keep weight to circa 135kilos for their 650 will have to charge a fair whack more I would imagine. And that T7, I'm not convinced Yamaha will get anywhere close to the prototype with the production model once it's been built down to a budget. I see the problem SWM will have is the same as GP450 in the early days; public scepticism and distribution. Whether SWM has the same dogged commitment as CCM I'm not so sure, but I think if they can get people on the bikes then they could shift a good few. But I just hope that stripped back one without all the panniers, screen etc comes through at a more reasonable price. I think it needs to.
Chasbmw

Post by Chasbmw »

Hopefully CCM will retain the 'low bike option' because for us short old farts, a seat height of 890mm doesn't work in the realworld.

Return to “BIKES”