New ADV bike from SWM

The Things We Ride
Spurgus69

Re: New ADV bike from SWM

Post by Spurgus69 »

Were on earth did that comment about Harley's rusting come from. Not personal experience surely. I have owned three Harley's in the past and road them all year round in all sorts of weather and if anything seemed to maintain the finish better than a lot of jap bikes. As for bikes built in the east Triumphs new bike is built in Thailand and I believe all BMW 650 engines are Chinese built. I like the look of the swm but I don't think I'd buy one until it had proved itself, but that would also apply to any bike built in any country. Just as an aside I recently had a test ride on the new Africa Twin and I was underwhelmed by the experience. Nice enough bike, but no better than other adventure bikes I've ridden and right up to the test ride I was seriously planning on buying one having believed all the build up hype.
appleseed

Post by appleseed »

Spurgus69 wrote:Were on earth did that comment about Harley's rusting come from. Not personal experience surely. I have owned three Harley's in the past and road them all year round in all sorts of weather and if anything seemed to maintain the finish better than a lot of jap bikes. As for bikes built in the east Triumphs new bike is built in Thailand and I believe all BMW 650 engines are Chinese built. I like the look of the swm but I don't think I'd buy one until it had proved itself, but that would also apply to any bike built in any country. Just as an aside I recently had a test ride on the new Africa Twin and I was underwhelmed by the experience. Nice enough bike, but no better than other adventure bikes I've ridden and right up to the test ride I was seriously planning on buying one having believed all the build up hype.
A bloke I worked with had an 883 sportser and the down tube rusted through, probably due to not washing the bike enough in winter but i think that salt would kill any exposed steel.

and saying that I have even seen engine cases on a ktm690 enduro suffer corrosion from road salt so does that make the ktm a $hit bike ( probably :P )
IMAG0658.jpg
IMAG0658.jpg (50.41 KiB) Viewed 1085 times
IMAG0659.jpg
IMAG0659.jpg (35.59 KiB) Viewed 1085 times
so I dont see how anyone can justify slaggin off a bike that no one has owned just because some Chinese guy with has ponied up the cash to effectively resurrect the husk band using the SWM name.
V_King

Post by V_King »

Spurgus69 wrote:... As for bikes built in the east Triumphs new bike is built in Thailand .....
rockets, explorers, tropies are assembled in UK, tiger 800, speed/street tripples and bonneville series assembled in thailand. all of them made from the parts from all over the world. same is with all the "jap" bikes.

all the harley rusting business is regarding their cheap chrome.... :dry:

funny enough, UK is the worst with rusting, when commuting all year round. I don't know what do they put in a salt here, but it does all kinds of things to the bikes, which the rest of the europe does not have the problem with :blink:
""
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Mike101 wrote:I'll stick my arm in here...yes i know i'll get it bitten off....

....Now let the abuse begin.

Mike
No abuse Mike, but the SWM bike is not Chinese made,but Italian. Now some would say that is hardly a recommendation, but there you go.... The Chinese are the financial backers.

If that worries you in any way, just think on who will be funding the 2-3 Nuke power stations that will need to be built here in the UK in the coming years... Clue, it's the land where the Chop Suey came from ;)
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

V_King wrote: funny enough, UK is the worst with rusting, when commuting all year round. I don't know what do they put in a salt here, but it does all kinds of things to the bikes, which the rest of the europe does not have the problem with :blink:
Ahhh, here in the UK we have REAL salt, straight out of the ground from Cheshire!! None of these modern, funky substitutes!
dragonwheels

Post by dragonwheels »

Someone hasn't been listening properly...it's ITALIAN, made in the former Husqvarna factory in ITALY, by the former (Italian) employees.

The COMPANY is part funded by Shineray, a Chinese superbrand, as their stepping stone into Europe I suspect.

Oh wait - it DOES come with Golden Tyre GTS 201's, that's the far eastern influence!

I bought an SM630 Supermoto (Husky) from Touratech several years back and toured all over Europe and Ireland on it. Never missed a beat in 9,000 miles or needed anything but oil changes. Now you can get a new one for not much more than I paid TRADE (I worked for TT) back then! Great fun in the Alps and Donegal...in fact everywhere...and I note the Touratech catalogue still lists all the parts under the sm/te630, so you could bling one up with racks and belly pans etc
"Never trust a man who tells you he never feels the need to get drunk, he's either lying , or not paying attention"
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

dragonwheels wrote: I note the Touratech catalogue still lists all the parts under the sm/te630, so you could bling one up with racks and belly pans etc
Not being a frequenter of the TT catalogue, so excuse my ignorance, but could you give me a link to the Husky630 section in the TT catalogue? I couldn't see owt!
dragonwheels

Post by dragonwheels »

SteveR wrote:
dragonwheels wrote: I note the Touratech catalogue still lists all the parts under the sm/te630, so you could bling one up with racks and belly pans etc
Not being a frequenter of the TT catalogue, so excuse my ignorance, but could you give me a link to the Husky630 section in the TT catalogue? I couldn't see owt!
HERE YA GO, THE HUSKY PAGE ON THE tt WEBSHOP...here
"Never trust a man who tells you he never feels the need to get drunk, he's either lying , or not paying attention"
dragonwheels

Post by dragonwheels »

Hey there, If anyone's still reading this thread, lets get a question answered..when the bike becomes available, should be order it WITH or WITHOUT the luggage and lights pack - OR simply offer it as an extra? (Givi Ally boxes)

All feedback gratefully accepted - fire away!
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

dragonwheels wrote:Hey there, If anyone's still reading this thread, lets get a question answered..when the bike becomes available, should be order it WITH or WITHOUT the luggage and lights pack - OR simply offer it as an extra? (Givi Ally boxes)

All feedback gratefully accepted - fire away!
I'm hoping it comes ready to go..everything included....

Return to “BIKES”