What's The Ideal Bike For This Trip?

The Things We Ride
SteveW

What's The Ideal Bike For This Trip?

Post by SteveW »

May next year I am shipping a bike out to The USA. I don't want to buy or hire a bike out there, I want to ship my bike out and ship back.
I pick the bike up in New York. I'll ride Tarmac routes about 1000 miles in the Appalachian Mountains to Tennessee.
I am picking up the Trans American Trail in Tennessee, routing through Tennessee, Arkansas, Oklahoma and into New Mexico. That's about 2000 miles of mixed trail and "pavement."
The plan is still under development, especially this next bit, but I want to route through the lower passes of The Southern Rocky Mountains (Colorado) the high passes still snowbound, across the Great Basin of Nevada to San Francisco. That's another 2000 miles.
Then route back across California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas....The Southern States to Florida and ship back from Miami.
I won't pass up the chance get off the blacktop and ride the trails on the return leg.
So that's at least 10,000 miles. From 21st May until 16th July.
What bike would you take? Also.....What sights should I make sure I don't miss?
I plan on taking my GSA800 (2015.... currently 3000 miles) but I don't go for six months and I have a couple of "Spare" bikes that I could off-load to fund the "perfect" bike.
redbikejohn

Re: What's The Ideal Bike For This Trip?

Post by redbikejohn »

i think you'll struggle on a gs800. i read a report of someone using one and they struggled and they thought a 400cc bike would be better. julie (?) used a xt660z and she struggled on some parts (and she did the dakar)
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

have you seen www.transamtrail.com

I don't think there is a perfect bike, I think you need to get one that suits you best. Did 5.5k around the South island of New Zealand in January on a Daker 650. I really liked that bike but at times I wanted more power/speed for the road sections and less weight for the gravel and off road sections.

Being a beginner to this off road nonsense I'm starting to realise tyre's make a massive difference and like bike choice it's all about compromise. If (when) I was doing the TAT I would seriously look at the CCM and a DZR 400 but you are doing a lot more mileage on road than most who do the TAT.

DR 650, XR 650 or a Tenere ? 690 ktm ? I would want something light enough for the off road sections and big enough for your road miles

good luck with the search mate and enjoy your trip

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I hear you John, but my thoughts are the GS is pretty good off the Tarmac, if things are getting too silly I can route around situations by taking Tarmac sections....but I can't hide from the 1000's of miles of Tarmac, I've done my share of "Enduro-Touring" and it's a challenge day after day.
I should add I'll be travelling light...no camping.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

I would NOT recommend any motorcycle smaller than 400cc motor. You need a “Dual-Sport” motorcycle that you can handle through deep sand, mud, loose gravel, rocks and snow.

It’s important to be sure your motorcycle is in good shape prior to your departure. A tune-up and safety check is a good idea (fresh oil, clean air filter, good tires, correct air pressure, etc.)

off the site

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Spud, I was going to do the tat on my DRZ, but the trip evolved so I wanted a bike that would be comfy for the road.
Some of the other bikes you mention I've owned and agree they are capable.
I would say the 650 Dakar, or Tenere are options, because I want a new(ish) low milage bike.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Husky 701
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

A Land Rover Discovery... :laugh:
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Steve you need a slap! The GS800 will be PERFECT. stop mithering! ;)
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Mike54 wrote:Steve you need a slap! The GS800 will be PERFECT. stop mithering! ;)
Exactly, he does worry a bit, doesn't he :whistle:
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like

Return to “BIKES”