BMW GS.... is it time to have one?

The Things We Ride
boristhebold

Re: BMW GS.... is it time to have one?

Post by boristhebold »

Steev68 wrote:
Rederic wrote:You will definitely surprise your mates on there sports bikes (thumbs)
Love this. Just goes to show how much more important a good, smooth riding style is over a flat out and anchor on for quick, and more importantly, safe progress. And the bike running 2 up.. haha, great!
Doesn't half remind me why I'll never do a 'track day' Some dreadful riding on there (not the GS rider). Great overtake at 2min 20s :laugh: Most other riders didn't appear to know what they were doing and the two up K1600?, nice mobile chicane for 2 minutes, the rider seemed to deliberately speed up as GS man was about to overtake WTF is that all about. ;)
g00ner

Post by g00ner »

I've just bought an 1150 Adv. Previously had Tenere's, Ducati, 990's, etc

I love it B)
Snowy

Post by Snowy »

Diesel Pete wrote:I particlarly like the 1150 but that is based purely on looks.

Serious question.... even though I know the GS isn't designed for it but when in those lovely Alpine passes I am usually hammering the knackers off my poor Tiger to keep up with mates as we do like to crack on..... will the GS be better or worse than my Tiger on those occasions?
Buy a lighter smaller road bike and lead rather than just trying to keep up.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

The GS is so composed when braking. 125bhp is more than enough. Look how many overtakes the GS did out braking the sports bikes.
boatman

Post by boatman »

I had a 955 tiger ,rode abou 15 k on from new
Just buy a 1200 TWIN CAM gs There is no comparison the handling is way way better
And it has a shed load of usable power , Very few sport bikes will be able to leave you in the twists because it keeps its handling even when the surface gets a bit iffy . The non dip stable braking capability with the paralever suspension is quite incredible.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

boatman wrote: The non dip stable braking capability with the paralever suspension is quite incredible.
Telelever, Symon..............Telelever (thumbs)
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
jonny955

Post by jonny955 »

Although the GS is a very good motorcycle, you may find that the engine characteristics of your Tiger are more inspiring.

I know I did :laugh:

Jon
Spout

Post by Spout »

jonny955 wrote:Although the GS is a very good motorcycle, you may find that the engine characteristics of your Tiger are more inspiring.
Naaaah!
spoutwheelie_2015-10-01.jpg
spoutwheelie_2015-10-01.jpg (92.42 KiB) Viewed 1435 times
:woohoo:
nwmschris

Post by nwmschris »

Hi all on my 3rd gs 1200 now love em to bits .Had a few moments trying to get to grips with the new lc adventure after owning the triple black .but no looking back now .get one bought
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Don't get me wrong, that's a nice video and it does show that a GS can tackle a track with a decent rider. But the same can be said for almost any bike (OK, not a Harley maybe, but that's just down to geometry...).

You often see people claiming that their touring/roadster bike can 'keep up with my mates on their sports bikes' etc. All they are actually saying is that THEY can keep up with their mates and it proves nothing. The fact remains that modern sports bikes are designed to be at their best in track conditions, so the same rider of the same ability in identical conditions will always be quicker on a sports bike on a track. If a GS rider overtakes a Panigale rider on a track, all that proves is that the GS rider is considerably more confident and skilled.

Otherwise Rossi's race bike would look like a GS and he could carry his trophies in his metal panniers.

Return to “BIKES”