BMW GS.... is it time to have one?

The Things We Ride
Diesel Pete

Re: BMW GS.... is it time to have one?

Post by Diesel Pete »

Nice bike (thumbs)

I have to keep my top box empty for my other half's duty free fags as well :laugh:
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

daveuprite wrote:Try it sometime, but for a scientific comparison you should have equal experience of both bikes (obviously). The same rider with the same experience in the same conditions, tyres etc etc etc will ride around track corners I am guessing 25% quicker on a proper sports bike. This is not to knock GSs or any other roadster - it's about physics. Sports bikes are built to do the ultimate best job of going round a corner as fast as possible. In the wrong hands, they won't work. And nor will a GS. It's about the rider not the machine.
I agree. It's taken me a year to get as confident in corners on my Tiger Sport, as I am on my Daytona 955i. Still reckon the Daytona is more capable if pushed really hard as the suspension will be have better. Power has nothing to do with it, if you are using full throttle mid corner expect to crash, it's all about suspension and geometry.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Tiger 1050, excellent choice :) (see my avatar)

It's not as good as a GS two up, you only need to look at the two bikes to see the GS is going to better in that respect, but the GS is probably one of the best bikes for pillions out there, so it's not to say the Tiger 1050 is bad for pillions, far from it, compared to most bikes on the market is great.

I guess it also depends how fat your pillion is!
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Rederic wrote:You will definitely surprise your mates on there sports bikes (thumbs)
A reasonably good rider overtaking a few novices, and a few that didn't want to race or risk a crash, on a GS.
Mawnanian

Post by Mawnanian »

-Ralph- wrote:
Rederic wrote:You will definitely surprise your mates on there sports bikes (thumbs)
A reasonably good rider overtaking a few novices, and a few that didn't want to race or risk a crash, on a GS.
Interesting that the one bike he struggled to get past, nearly rear ending at one point, was a K1600GT, with a pillion.
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Mawnanian wrote:Interesting that the one bike he struggled to get past, nearly rear ending at one point, was a K1600GT, with a pillion.
I didn't watch that far, but the guys I did see him overtake weren't trying particularly hard, or they weren't that confident. I gave up watching at the point he apparently out accelerated a Busa.

Return to “BIKES”