BMW GS.... is it time to have one?

The Things We Ride
SteveW

Re: BMW GS.... is it time to have one?

Post by SteveW »

Try an GS800.
Just as good as the 1200, 90% of the time, better than a 1200, 75% of the time.
If that makes any sense :laugh:
boristhebold

Post by boristhebold »

SteveW wrote:Try an GS800.
But you'll always have that niggle that you're not on a boxer twin and by the above logic, get a 650 twin, its 70% as good most of the time and 40% better on Tuesdays and Fridays.

In reality, try em all, don't let the internet sway you (But the big GS is best) B)
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

boristhebold wrote:
SteveW wrote:Try an GS800.
But you'll always have that niggle that you're not on a boxer twin and by the above logic, get a 650 twin, its 70% as good most of the time and 40% better on Tuesdays and Fridays.

In reality, try em all, don't let the internet sway you (But the big GS is best) B)
Agreed, the F800GS does nothing for me
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

I tested the 800GS against the Tiger 800 and the biggest difference was the engine. The Tiger engine was a peach and very engaging, but I reasoned that on a long day do I really want and engine urging me to go faster and accelerate hard out of every corner like someone nudging you in the back. Eh? Also now my GS has 5000 miles the engine has loosened up and is much more responsive than the 500 mile demonstrator I tried.

I've since ridden a 1200GS and found the handling very "different". Lots of low down weight which made bend-swinging rather unusual - but nothing I couldn't get used to. What I didn't like was the cockpit area had more of the feel of a Pan European than an offroad bike :S

Ye pays yer money.....
jonny955

Post by jonny955 »

johnnyboxer wrote: Best selling bike in the Adv bike category for over 20 years (thumbs)
The Ford Fiesta is the best selling car in recent years but I don't have one of those, either :P

Jon
Snowy

Post by Snowy »

johnnyboxer wrote:Best selling bike in the Adv bike category for over 20 years (thumbs)
And thats a good reason to ride something else JB, every other bike I see at the weekend is a 1200GS. If your going to get one get an 1150 Adv (if you buy a standard one you'll always regret not having that fat tank).
misterlaffer

BMW GS.... is it time to have one?

Post by misterlaffer »

Never ridden a Tiger, can't comment on GS vs Tiger debate really, I chose the GS myself because the engine is like no other, you will love it or hate it. I like the switch gear too, clocks, suspension (paralever and telelever), numerous dealer franchises across europe, easy to get parts, numerous after market parts, good reliability ( relative to mileages and number sold). Although the Boxer GS is common in number, if you look at other options they are quite unique. That said, I would like to try the Trumpet triple, but they always so damn noisy to me.
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

Maybe just me but, I buy most things because I like the look of them. I like the look of the R1200GS. Maybe that's why I yearn for one so much. (thumbs)
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
jonny955

Post by jonny955 »

vRSG60 wrote:Maybe just me but, I buy most things because I like the look of them. I like the look of the R1200GS. Maybe that's why I yearn for one so much. (thumbs)
As good an argument as any! Go for it!

Jon
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

vRSG60 wrote:Maybe just me but, I buy most things because I like the look of them. I like the look of the R1200GS. Maybe that's why I yearn for one so much. (thumbs)
I got one in January last year. best bike I have ever had. I went into Blackpool Honda to look at and was expecting to buy a Varadero, but they had the varadero, a Crosstourer, an XT1200, a Vstrom, a triumph tiger, and the GSA1200 all lined up. The GSA just looked the complete package to me and I bought it. I have done nearly 40,000 miles on it without it missing a beat and have home serviced it too. They are the best seller for a very good reason - they are the best.

Return to “BIKES”