F800GS to a 1200GS

The Things We Ride
DaveCon

Re: F800GS to a 1200GS

Post by DaveCon »

I've ridden my 800GS about 5,000 miles in the last couple of months and in my (rather uneducated) opinion the biggest problem is the skinny 21" front wheel. On road it's very easy to push it, and its quite an effort to change direction in twisties. I also find it tracks ripples in the road like a tram.

Offroad the skinny wheel can dig in quite easily. I also found if I tipped off it was very easy to damage the handlebars (which was very disappointing on an offroad bike) and picking the bike up is quite a maul.

It's well known how good the 1200GS is on the road. Offroad the low CofG makes handling very stable and if you tip off, the cylinders (cylinder crash bars preferably) prop the bike up a bit, and protect delicates like handlebars and legs and it's actually easier to pick up.

I'm on a bit of a downer with my 800 at the mo :(
Emf#53

Post by Emf#53 »

DaveCon wrote:I've ridden my 800GS about 5,000 miles in the last couple of months and in my (rather uneducated) opinion the biggest problem is the skinny 21" front wheel. On road it's very easy to push it, and its quite an effort to change direction in twisties. I also find it tracks ripples in the road like a tram.

:(
Have you tried changing the front tyre? I hustle mine on at a fair rate on the road and don't have any problems at all - and I find the nice wide bars make it easy to change directions in the twisties (thumbs)
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

That's interesting, thanks.

It's still got the original Pirelli Scorpion. I'm open to suggestions, what do you recommend. Also I was wondering about the fork springs, whether they need to be changed for a heavier set? I always run rear preload a bit harder on all the bikes I've owned (I must have heavy bones or something :whistle: )

I must admit I found the handling of the 1200 very strange especially at low speeds which I understand is down to the novel suspension set-up. It doesn't seem to compromise the offroad ability though.

The 800 can soak up some serious suspension travel without bottoming too (thumbs)
Emf#53

Post by Emf#53 »

I've got Anakee 3's on mine - they're a very road biased tyre.

I've not done the fork springs on mine but people that have changed them to Hyperpro springs say that it transforms the front end!
hennieontanks

F800GS to a 1200GS

Post by hennieontanks »

misterlaffer wrote:
hennieontanks wrote:Just a quick question, how well does the standard r1200GS windscreen work vs the standard r1200gsa?

Or is there another screen that is better?

Just asking, since I wasn't too convinced with the one on the F800GS (either the standard or the touring, although it was better.) When I test-road the F800GSA it felt much better and improved.
I have an R1200GS (standard) from new 2012 model (pre LC). You don't say if LC or none LC, as the screens are way different.

See my blog entry re: Givi Airflow here
Apologies, I had been asking about the new LC version.

But thanks for the info, I'll keep the givi airflow in mind if it is available for the LC 1200gs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

DaveCon wrote:That's interesting, thanks.

It's still got the original Pirelli Scorpion. I'm open to suggestions, what do you recommend. Also I was wondering about the fork springs, whether they need to be changed for a heavier set? I always run rear preload a bit harder on all the bikes I've owned (I must have heavy bones or something :whistle: )

I must admit I found the handling of the 1200 very strange especially at low speeds which I understand is down to the novel suspension set-up. It doesn't seem to compromise the offroad ability though.

The 800 can soak up some serious suspension travel without bottoming too (thumbs)
I hate Scorpion fronts on the road. Had the same problem with them.
Nowt wrong with a 21"skinny front.
Try an AVON Distanzia or a MITAS E08.
Quick fix with the Scorpion could be to pump it up harder which will give a bit less adhesion.
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
hennieontanks

Post by hennieontanks »

Just picked up my new R1200GS and had a nice ride to Bath.

So far, very happy with it.

R1200GSWarminster.jpg
R1200GSWarminster.jpg (80.41 KiB) Viewed 1953 times
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

They are a good looking bike the new ones. Other than the wheelie bin for an exhaust, but all manufacturers have that problem now, just needs switched for an Akropovic or similar.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
hennieontanks

F800GS to a 1200GS

Post by hennieontanks »

Just rode my 1200gs to Germany. The larger engine really made a difference on the motorway - a lot smoother and less vibration at 70-80mph in comparison to the f800gs. Image
jim-500

Post by jim-500 »

hennieontanks wrote:Just rode my 1200gs to Germany. The larger engine really made a difference on the motorway - a lot smoother and less vibration at 70-80mph in comparison to the f800gs. Image
They really are pretty handsome bikes now, they always looked a bit unfinished back in the "longwayround" days, but the 2012 models onwards look B) , seriously tempted by one! What sort of mpg did you see on the trip to germany?

Return to “BIKES”