F800GS to a 1200GS

The Things We Ride
hennieontanks

Re: F800GS to a 1200GS

Post by hennieontanks »

Just over 50mpg. That was at about 70-80mph.
gbags

Post by gbags »

I have an 800 and asked for one when I did the level one Off Road course in Wales. I asked for the 8 as I'm going to do a long South American trip soon on mine and thought I might as well practise on the bike I'd be riding.
On the second day I asked to swap for a 1200 after everyone just raved about them. I was given a new water cooled 12 and had a whale of a time. It felt more stable, it was easier to pick up. I spoke to a woman who'd also swapped and we agreed that the 12 was just great off road. There were only two of us on 800s and we both switched to and then preferred the 1200. There were forty odd returnees (levels 2 and 3) on 1200s and they were almost evangelical in their enthusiasm for the big bikes.
I love my 800 solo but when the wife and I load up the bike and head off, two up (170kg for the pair of us plus everything) it sometimes lacks punch. As we love the mountains, it matters.
Oh, and I've changed sprockets and chains twice which will never happen on the 12.
For these reasons I'd probably go big next time.
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

gbags wrote:I have an 800 and asked for one when I did the level one Off Road course in Wales. I asked for the 8 as I'm going to do a long South American trip soon on mine and thought I might as well practise on the bike I'd be riding.
On the second day I asked to swap for a 1200 after everyone just raved about them. I was given a new water cooled 12 and had a whale of a time. It felt more stable, it was easier to pick up. I spoke to a woman who'd also swapped and we agreed that the 12 was just great off road. There were only two of us on 800s and we both switched to and then preferred the 1200. There were forty odd returnees (levels 2 and 3) on 1200s and they were almost evangelical in their enthusiasm for the big bikes.
I love my 800 solo but when the wife and I load up the bike and head off, two up (170kg for the pair of us plus everything) it sometimes lacks punch. As we love the mountains, it matters.
Oh, and I've changed sprockets and chains twice which will never happen on the 12.
For these reasons I'd probably go big next time.
I agree (thumbs) I did the offroad school on the 800. There were two of us and we both struggled where the 1200 guys seemed to have no trouble. We both ended up having to get our 800's repaired because everytime you drop them something breaks (usually around the bars/levers). They're also difficult to pick up and difficult to get on because of the high seat.
royle100

Post by royle100 »

My experience was to stick with 800gs (although agree that 1200 is probably easier to handle on slow and tight offroad - as found out on GS Trophy few years back)

I bought a 2007 1200 GSA to replace my 800 as was doing 140mile daily commute to London and thought it would be more suited to motorway. Had it for about 3 months before going back to 800 (luckily I had not sold the 800 in the interim!)

cons of 1200 v 800 : increased fuel consumption , did not find it any more comfortable than 800 on motorway (had back ache from riding position), more difficult to filter in Ldn traffic, clunky gear change. Only benefit was not having to fill up daily however with reduced mpg couldn't quite get 2 day ride in before having to refuel (and it felt like you were paying for a car with the 33lt tank!)
"Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em."....Easy Rider
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

I agree about commuting on an 800, it's a doddle (thumbs)

I use my 800GSA for commuting and everything (no car) and I can usually get 10 days between fill-ups which is tremendous. Filtering is easy, the bars are above most wing mirrors even with hand guards, the seating position lets you see onto the roofs of most cars :lol: and the seat (for me) is all day comfortable (because I've done it).

The seat height worries a lot of people but it took me a day to get used to it; from "oh my god where's the floor" to not even thinking about it. The height is also an advantage for other drivers to see you. I was behind a Bandit rider who got punted off by a car. The driver said he saw me but not the other guy.

At low speeds when you're crawling in a jam it is very stable, and at the other extreme, throttle roll on from 50mph is impressive.

Offroad it's very capable right up to the point you drop it. Then it's a case of limbering/psyching yourself to pick it up and then out with the tools :pinch:

Clunky gearbox! At the offroad school, when 20 riders selected first gear to move off it was like a machine gun :laugh:
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

There's not a massive difference in size. I prefer the 800. I don't ride loaded up or with a pillion, if I did I think the 1200 would shade it.
image_2015-10-30.jpeg
image_2015-10-30.jpeg (54.54 KiB) Viewed 1663 times
ReaperX

Post by ReaperX »

:angry: :angry: :angry: you people are a pain in the arse lol, I was confident that I wanted and 800 before I read this article, now F knows what I should be looking at :unsure: :unsure: I guess I need to try now the 1200 I'm not sure if I like it as I never have but dam you lot I now have to try it.

Thanks a lot that's gonna cost me more if I do like the 1200 instead of the 800 How in the name of God I'm going to tell the missus lol. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
Mawnanian

Post by Mawnanian »

ReaperX wrote::angry: :angry: :angry: you people are a pain in the arse lol, I was confident that I wanted and 800 before I read this article, now F knows what I should be looking at :unsure: :unsure: I guess I need to try now the 1200 I'm not sure if I like it as I never have but dam you lot I now have to try it.

Thanks a lot that's gonna cost me more if I do like the 1200 instead of the 800 How in the name of God I'm going to tell the missus lol. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
For the sake of your marital harmony, don't try one.

Return to “BIKES”