V-Strom owners

The Things We Ride
boboneleg

V-Strom owners

Post by boboneleg »

So what's good and what's bad about them?

I have sold my KTM 950 ADV and want something to replace it. I won't use it off road (perhaps the gravel tracks on Salisbury Plain excepted) but want something for touring and days out.

I am thinking Transalp or V-Strom, I know all about Transalps but nothing about the Strom.

Cheers, Bob.
one-legged adventurer
SteveW

Re: V-Strom owners

Post by SteveW »

Do you not think the Transalp is too similar to your DR650, in regard to performance and feel?
The V-Strom would be a bit quicker and plusher.
What about one of the 800's?
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

650 of 1 litre V-Strom?
Putbinoot

Post by Putbinoot »

I've got an old 650 04 plate with 40 odd thousand miles on it and think im on my second chain, have a givi or something screen which helps with the wind, I like a lot of people ditched the square mirrors for aprilia mirrors which sorts that out, did not like original bar angle so put in a set of straighter bars, change the oil and filter now and again and ride it.
drumbrakes

V-Strom owners

Post by drumbrakes »

I like my 650 V-strom. some seem to think it's slow and boring, but It's more than fast enough for me, and engaging to ride.

I've spent a few visits to my local bike dealer browsing their selection and always leave thinking the bike I like most is the one I already have.

The seat and riding position are comfy enough for 500 mile days on B roads, stopping to put fuel in once. Also very comfy for pillions I'm told, though we've never done long distances on the same bike.

I have a Givi Aero-whatsit screen, which is great, but can't stop some turbulence off the mirrors.

Most companies make racks and panniers too suit. I have Givi Trekkers, they hold lots, but make it very wide, as they have to work around the exhaust. It has quite an air brake effect, and slows much quicker when you back off the throttle.
I think most makes are the same, I don't know of any that work round the exhaust efficiently.

When we go on trips I usually take either the top box and a roll bag, or the side boxes. I've never needed all of them

The main downside for me is that it seems to eat chains. I'm on the third in 15,000 miles, which is apparently too many.
Could be my own fault, I may not have the hang of adjusting them correctly. The dealer kept telling me they were to loose until one day it was too tight. I slackened it off, then it snapped a week later, at 60 mph, and took out the clutch arm at the same time.

I ride commute on it all year round, and it lives outside. That's probably why I've had problems with the ABS warning light, which all seemed to be caused by corroded electrical connectors.
Roy C.

Post by Roy C. »

I've a 2013 650 Strom, I think it's a great bike for touring on. Comfy all day, 200 miles tank range easy. bit of character as a V-twin is. Despite what people may say you can ride it off road but then you can ride any bike off road. going to Italy on it next week. Easily has equal performance to a mates GS1100. (thumbs)
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

boboneleg wrote:So what's good and what's bad about them?

I have sold my KTM 950 ADV and want something to replace it. I won't use it off road (perhaps the gravel tracks on Salisbury Plain excepted) but want something for touring and days out.

I am thinking Transalp or V-Strom, I know all about Transalps but nothing about the Strom.

Cheers, Bob.
Piguglyshandydrinker@xrv is running a weestrom now and raves about it to such an extent the TA's are slipping from their former lofty position in his stable! I am yet to persuade him to put TKC's on and get it dirty...! :)
XF650

Post by XF650 »

Know two people with the new 650 Wee. They both love 'em and do large mileages. Great all rounders with superb economy, comfort and a host of accessories to choose from. Original chain tends to last 10k - 15k but so much depends on lube, adjustment and how you ride it. Replacement chains, like any other bike, depends on getting a quality X chain or similar and NOT the cheapest find on evilbay. Mate had my old '04 Vstrom 1000 from me, did mucho miles and recently went for the new 650. Loves it! (thumbs)

Best thing you can do is go to a stealer and try one out. :woohoo:
tendays

Post by tendays »

My first weestrom chain (OEM) lasted 40K miles. The replacement DID O-ring chain only lasted 15K. Same setup and maintenance.

Going from a TA to a wee, the main upsides were the engine power and economy. Also great headlights, luggage capacity, pillion comfort as said before. Definitely the biggest downside for me was the low-speed throttle response which I found snatchy after the TA. Possibly cos it was my first FI bike. The dealer never improved it when serviced.

Much later I had issues with seized throttle body air adjustment screws - brass and ally bad mix - I don''t know if the dealer ever touched them as the computer can compsensate to some extent to an imbalance until it goes too far out and then your bike conks out pulling away on a busy roundabout... I ended up replacing the TBs at 70K, fortunately sourced some from a breaking bike in Germany. So check this! The screw on the front is quite difficult to access BTW. A well-maintained example may have extended vacuum hoses to facilitate easier TB syncronisation!

Also listen out for clunking forks. 'They all do that sir' type of thing.

The rear tappets are OK to check but a pig to adjust.

If you take it offroad engine bars AND sumpguard are a must, the oil filter is vulnerable as is the oil cooler.

Overall a great bike all things considered IMHO.
Locksmith

Post by Locksmith »

I'm on my second Vstrom and I've had a few Transalps. Both very good bikes but the Vstrom is the better bike IMO. More power, better handling, better mpg and will easily reach 100000 miles if looked after.
Mine will be for sale soon if interested.

https://goo.gl/photos/d1bdJXx7WPbHiktv8

2011 model 15000 miles with sensible extras incl Ardcases and in very nice condition.
Only selling as I use my Tenere most of the time.
Suzuki DL650 (Wee) with many nice mods ..

Yamaha XT660Z Tenere also modded ..

http://www.v-strom.co.uk/phpBB3/

http://www.adventurebikers.net/forum/index.php

Return to “BIKES”