Range

The Things We Ride
Scott_rider

Re: Range

Post by Scott_rider »

jonny955 wrote:
To be precise, no one riding in Western Europe NEEDS a range of 250 miles but I and many others want one.
Jon
Unless you're riding in France :P . I'm kidding. I like the place but they do seem to have a complete lack of Petrol stations compared to the UK or Spain. Last year, my mate ran out of fuel on his Aprilia Tuono somewhere near Orleans which isn't exactly an unpopulated area and could we find a petrol station anywhere nearby...no! And another time we were on a fast dual carriageway somewhere near Bordeaux and the sign said next petrol 80km...50 miles...wtf! We ended up getting 10 litres from one of those horrendously expensive unmanned pumps at the side of the rest area and at about 2 euros a litre!
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
jonny955

Post by jonny955 »

Scott_rider wrote:
jonny955 wrote:
To be precise, no one riding in Western Europe NEEDS a range of 250 miles but I and many others want one.
Jon
Unless you're riding in France :P . I'm kidding. I like the place but they do seem to have a complete lack of Petrol stations compared to the UK or Spain. Last year, my mate ran out of fuel on his Aprilia Tuono somewhere near Orleans which isn't exactly an unpopulated area and could we find a petrol station anywhere nearby...no! And another time we were on a fast dual carriageway somewhere near Bordeaux and the sign said next petrol 80km...50 miles...wtf! We ended up getting 10 litres from one of those horrendously expensive unmanned pumps at the side of the rest area and at about 2 euros a litre!
Come to think of it, that happened to me last year in France!

I tend to avoid motorways and forgot to factor in that there was a bank holiday over there and all of the petrol stations we did find were shut! Luckily, we eventually found one open, on our route, and I squirted in no less than 28 litres. In theory, I could have ridden for another 30 miles but we were easily covering thast distance between the CLOSED stations!

I was within a whisker of buying a Triumph Explorer but the 20L tank was the deal breaker. I'd happily accept a smaller tank on most bikes but when you already pay such a weight penalty, you should at least be compensated by some additional practicality.

Jon
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

V_King wrote:sloshing around 30-50kgs of fuel is a horrible thing to do to a bike.
The obvious thing would be to use compartments like in ships or fill the tank with a sort of honeycomb as I think are used in Formula 1 cars, etc.

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
fullerton

Post by fullerton »

a day at brunters on me billy busa, one of these days i will try to see what mpg i get be i recon its between 8-12 mpg carnt be much cause i wont do more than 15 miles on the day

on the silly trip to spain i did manage to do the tank in 30 minutes on a unmodified busa

steve
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

jonny955 wrote:
Mike54 wrote:Re the Africa Twin debate, out of interest and not in any way making mischief, how many here need (not want, need) a range greater than say, 250 miles on a big bike and why? What trips are you planning?
To be precise, no one riding in Western Europe NEEDS a range of 250 miles but I and many others want one. It's one of the reasons I chose my bike (300 mile range and no, it's not a GSA).

Jon
The need vs want is a moot point in all biking - after all, who needs a bike at all! In Spain you don't need more than 250 miles, sure, but what this means is that you keep having to leave the best bits in search of main roads, towns, etc. when otherwise you can just ride to your heart's content on the backroads - if I encounter more than five vehicles in an 8 hour ride i'm annoyed by the crowds :whistle:

Back to actual capacity - my X-Country's most notable fault is the puny 9.5 litre fuel tank. So along comes the X-tank with an extra 6.5 litres - and at €450 it should be good! - almost doubling my effective range. Sadly it doesn't double the reserve tank's capacity - obvious of course but sort of counter intuitive when you're tired - guess who found out the hard way (thumbs)

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
AlanQ

Post by AlanQ »

I recently did 2000 miles in a week on my 990 and I love everything about the bike except its crazy fuel consumption. Never more than 120 miles til the light comes on so really every 100 miles I was on the lookout for a fill up. Plus getting it on and off the centre stand and with full luggage is a major workout. I really want to do Nordkapp next year but the poor range is making me think this might not the best bike for the trip.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

fullerton wrote: on the silly trip to spain i did manage to do the tank in 30 minutes on a unmodified busa

steve
Tell us more?...I like a bit of high-speed shenaningans
(before anyone moans, I know it's not big, it's not clever etc. etc....but it's fun :blush: ).
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
jonny955

Post by jonny955 »

I think I suffer from RANGE ANXIETY :ohmy: :laugh: :laugh:

But seriously, who in their right mind would accept a vehicle that needs refuelling every 120 miles? Try asking a car driver!

Jon
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

The Spanish Biker wrote:
V_King wrote:sloshing around 30-50kgs of fuel is a horrible thing to do to a bike.
The obvious thing would be to use compartments like in ships or fill the tank with a sort of honeycomb as I think are used in Formula 1 cars, etc.

Simon
Or just put in some fuel tank foam, job done (thumbs)
fullerton

Post by fullerton »

Scott_rider wrote:
fullerton wrote: on the silly trip to spain i did manage to do the tank in 30 minutes on a unmodified busa

steve
Tell us more?...I like a bit of high-speed shenaningans
(before anyone moans, I know it's not big, it's not clever etc. etc....but it's fun :blush: ).
me famous (infamous) day trip to Malaga, nicked by the police and fight on the petrol forecourt, but all for charity though

collar me at a rally and i will tell you all about and might even bring the speeding ticket (still have the petrol till receipts for the doubters)

steve

Return to “BIKES”