Range

The Things We Ride
Mike54

Range

Post by Mike54 »

Re the Africa Twin debate, out of interest and not in any way making mischief, how many here need (not want, need) a range greater than say, 250 miles on a big bike and why? What trips are you planning?
Tonibe63

Re: Range

Post by Tonibe63 »

200 miles/3 hours riding is more than enough for me. In reality it is usually my bladder that waves the white flag before my fuel light :laugh: .
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

You little tinker...lol

Its all in folks head and lazyness....its nice to stop and piss regularly and have a brew so why not refuel?..or are folks crossing the deserts everyday...180 mls is adequate..

Ive come to manage on 13 ltrs so 160 mls...

Folks.go on about bike weights then carry loada of fuel and other stuff...
Spout

Post by Spout »

I used to fill up 3 times a day on my commute - 3 lots of 80 miles.

I now manage twice a week.

Same bike - different job!
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

More than enough for me, but I'm not a WANNABE :whistle: (thumbs)

Steve T

B)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

I upped the range of my x-Country from a measly 270 kms to about 430 kms by fitting the great but expensive X-tank. But with an 80-120 km round trip down of the sierras to the nearest fuel it's been well worth it!

Good question though. (thumbs)

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I very rarely want to ride over 200 miles without a stop but I do quite a lot of miles on German autobahns going to winter rallies and it's a nuisance when I've done 170 miles and have to stop because the signs by the service station entrance say the next one is 70 miles away.

It might not seem a big deal but I live 120 miles from Harwich and when I've then got 500 miles to do the next day I can do it with two fuel stops and the third stop is the overnighter. I've got no willpower so when I stop I also have a coffee and a couple of smokes to top up the nicotine level and that's 45 minutes gone which makes the difference between riding on a German motorway after dark when the temperatures are plummeting or having the first beer of the night (thumbs)
fullerton

Post by fullerton »

me cause i hate filling up, i try to do my commute on one tank

steve
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

and don't forget that having an extra 2-3 litres of fuel gives you more scope to mess with the gearing. I've geared my Tenere to hit the limiter at bang on 100mph on the satnav but that messes with the consumption big time and if you're riding with others who can cover 200 miles between stops it's not very endearing to have to keep stopping early because you're running on fumes.
moto al

Post by moto al »

My bmw80/7 had a 35lt Heinrich tank . For long distance traveling ,I stop every 150 miles ,for a pea a stretch, and a drink of water, with that tank range you only need to fill up every 350 miles saving time . The longest trip Iv ever made was zeburrge to south of garmisch approx 700 odd miles in one day . My cruising speed was about 80 mph .Al sit safe (thumbs)
moto al

Return to “BIKES”