Range

The Things We Ride
cozmo1589

Range

Post by cozmo1589 »

captinktm wrote:
Mike54 wrote:Re the Africa Twin debate, out of interest and not in any way making mischief, how many here need (not want, need) a range greater than say, 250 miles on a big bike and why? What trips are you planning?
Well I for one have been flapping about fuel on many occasions. Riding the ridge line in the Carpathian mountains was a pain because of having to come off the ridge and find fuel. And of course off road you can half this fuel consumption. Even riding from the uk to Turkey it was a pain having to stop so often for fuel. Trying to maintain a good average speed is impossible if you have to stop every 200 miles, even more often if your not sure of fuel stops. The first thing I do with all my enduro bikes is increase the fuel tank size. I would buy larger fuel tanks for the 950 tomorrow if they were a reasonable price. I used to ride sports bikes and the TLS 1000 I had was a joke, after dyno tuning so it was running properly I could empty the tank in 68 miles! Travelling here in Bulgaria there are very few fuel stations out in the sticks, which make "adventure" riding a nerve racking gamble on will I make it to the next station. I'll never understand why KTM put under seat pipes and not rear fuel takes like the prototypes.
For those rare and extreme riding excursions can you not just strap a 25ltr GerryCan to the bike and your all done ;-) ??
2014 Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer DCT Highlander
captinktm

Re: Range

Post by captinktm »

cozmo1589 wrote:
captinktm wrote:
Mike54 wrote:Re the Africa Twin debate, out of interest and not in any way making mischief, how many here need (not want, need) a range greater than say, 250 miles on a big bike and why? What trips are you planning?
Well I for one have been flapping about fuel on many occasions. Riding the ridge line in the Carpathian mountains was a pain because of having to come off the ridge and find fuel. And of course off road you can half this fuel consumption. Even riding from the uk to Turkey it was a pain having to stop so often for fuel. Trying to maintain a good average speed is impossible if you have to stop every 200 miles, even more often if your not sure of fuel stops. The first thing I do with all my enduro bikes is increase the fuel tank size. I would buy larger fuel tanks for the 950 tomorrow if they were a reasonable price. I used to ride sports bikes and the TLS 1000 I had was a joke, after dyno tuning so it was running properly I could empty the tank in 68 miles! Travelling here in Bulgaria there are very few fuel stations out in the sticks, which make "adventure" riding a nerve racking gamble on will I make it to the next station. I'll never understand why KTM put under seat pipes and not rear fuel takes like the prototypes.
For those rare and extreme riding excursions can you not just strap a 25ltr GerryCan to the bike and your all done ;-) ??
Rare? I ride at least once a week offroad on the big girl, and the sort of places I am riding too I don't really want 25 litres of fuel hanging on for dear life. Taking the Carpathian mountains as an example, the bike was fully loaded with tent water etc. Yes I could strap a can on top, but I'd rather KTM expanded the tanks by 10mm and then I would n't have to. The idea of having the fuel tanks down the side is to keep the weight low and in the middle of the wheels, strapping a j.can on the back is not a good solution. Yes I have tried. B)
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

picos mestizo wrote:
cozmo1589 wrote:For those rare and extreme riding excursions can you not just strap a 25ltr GerryCan to the bike and your all done ;-) ??
Takes some doing "just strapping" 50pound of liquid to a bike. :unsure:
I totally agree, not only that who the f... pays 14k for a so called adventure bike and then straps scabby can on the back. The tank on these type of bikes should 30 litres min. If you need a piss every 200 miles then don't fill it up! :)
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

picos mestizo wrote:
Mike54 wrote:
picos mestizo wrote:
Mike54 wrote:Does it though? There is a big difference (ie original question) between WANT and NEED
The Want quickly becomes a salesmans Need to the punter holding the cash as the aftermarket parts supplier & some manufacturers have discovered.
One of the common needs which also applies to the car market is that some people need range because they hate filling station visits.
Yes I agree, but I am talking about actual need, not perceived need.
A want quickly becomes a need when through whatever reason you run dry or sweat over running dry.
Over the last few years I've run out twice & sweated many a time so I want & definately need a bigger tank on occasion.
I'd sooner lugg around 18 litres than stress over 8.5
Again I agree, I ride a 525 enduro ktm and that has a 12.5 litre tank I rarely end up on reserve but on the occasion when I have it would have been a long walk to fuel. I can't speak for BMW or Yamaha but the KTM 950 and 990's have a sort of top fairing which fills in the gap in the tank, this to my mind should have been fuel tank and would have meant the bike would carry 10 litres more. Yes it would have been high but by the time you get to the tricky stuff that fuel (extra stuff) would have gone. I even think I will put a couple of fuel bottles in there and forget about them?
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

scutty wrote:I added range to my 690 mainly because there are zero petrol stations on any of the tracks I like to ride on in France and Spain. I rarely use the front tanks in the UK but I hate having to come off a mountain just to hunt for fuel - it just wastes time and fuel.
As an added bonus, 300 mile range for commuting or long crap road sections means I get to stop when I want, not when the fuel tank wants to.
Spot on!

Return to “BIKES”