new Africa Twin - perfect adventure bike?

The Things We Ride
Zookman

Re: new Africa Twin - perfect adventure bike?

Post by Zookman »

Spout wrote:232kg! Sheesh............

I was hoping for something lighter, and a bit more basic, something I could change my HP2 for.

From the specs alone, I like:
wheel sizes - good for tyre choice
tubeless tyres - good for repairs (if has centrestand)
nice in white
it's off road intentions

I don't like:
weight
non switchable off ABS (only rear can be disabled)
rider modes
lack of centrestand(?)

Looking forward to seeing one in the flesh and test riding of course (although I've never bought a bike that I've had to test ride)
Tyres are tubed.
Bernard Smith

Post by Bernard Smith »

robson wrote:
It maybe the perfect adventure bike for me ...... I have to say it looks beautiful...
Then you say:

1. it's heavy - Agree. Yes it is.
2. you'd prefer tubeless tyres - Agree. Tubes belong in the history books.
3. You'd prefer a bigger tank as 400 km range is kinda short - Disagree. There is nowhere in the world 250 miles will not find you petrol.

Personally I couldn't buy a bike without riding it. Sometimes they can look 'beautiful' and 'classy' but can feel 'not quite right' when you get down to business.

A dealer friend once told me that 90% of bikes are bought without ever riding them......... so you're not alone there anyway.

I hope you like it. I'll hang fire 'til I can blip it. (thumbs)

And then.

I'll buy one second hand........... B)

Reader’s Digest on TOUCHING THE WORLD - “…rueful, irreverent, always incredibly vivid, unfailingly honest, a powerful love story in a book crammed with astonishing achievements.”

http://www.worldtour.org.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews ... wpoints=1/
Trev

Post by Trev »

robson wrote:I have just canceled my yamaha xt660z tenere order and put deposit on new Africa Twin, manual version of course. I should get it in October according to dealer. It maybe the perfect adventure bike for me although I wish it was 15 kg lighter. I have to say it looks beautiful and classy, nothing today on the market presents itself like that. Only few things I would change. As I said earlier cut a little bit of weight but I can live with that, already signed to GYM :) It's 13 kg heavier then my current nc750x so not that much. I'd prefer tubeless tyres and bigger tank. 400 km range is kinda short for today's standards. My nc750x has more then that. Other then that I love what I see, power, torque, suspension, ground clearance, switchable abs. I hope yamaha will wake up soon because they don't really have nothing interesting in that adv segment anymore. I couldn't even buy quickly their dinosaur xt660z because they didn't have in stock.

p.s.
Someone here complained new AT is loaded excessively with electronics which is not true. As I see it it's barely minimum what is required today. If you want excessive electronics look at the bmw GS or Tiger 800 XCX...

I've got an NC700X (DCT version) and was hoping the AT would be lighter, looking at the specs released so far it is a bit or have I got something wrong?

What version have you gone for and what price are you paying (if you don't mind me asking?)
gebrauchtwagen83

Post by gebrauchtwagen83 »

I'm very disappointed. I really wanted to love this bike and consider it a replacement for mine but I think Honda have buggered it right up. It's as heavy as an r1200gs. It looks nice but I doubt the suspension will be as good as the current ktm adventure range or even the WP on the tiger which incidentally is lighter as well. It's just a quicker heavier transalp to be fair and I can't see it having an impact on the GS market.
jonny955

Post by jonny955 »

However nice a bike it is, there is no escaping the fact that the weight is going to seriously compromise it's use as an off-roader for the average skilled rider.

Why can't we have a sub-200kg kerb weight bike in this class? We have the KTM690 and CCM GP450 for solo use so how hard would it be for Honda to make a big trailie version, given an additional 50-60kg to play with? KTM were close with the 990 Adventure and technology has moved on since.

I remember when a 750 was a big trailie and certainly powerful enough for two-up touring with luggage (it still is). It seems the bikes we are presented with are simply alternatives of the existing competition (heavy and laden with electronics) rather than offering anything that may have a USP in the market.

I'm not knocking the Honda, I'm just a bit disappointed that it's 'more of the same'.

Jon
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

I think Honda may have a good idea how many bikes actually go off road, small beer in comparison to overall sales I would of thought

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
jonny955

Post by jonny955 »

Redmurty wrote:I think Honda may have a good idea how many bikes actually go off road, small beer in comparison to overall sales I would of thought

cheers Spud ;)
Yes, you are right, Spud.

Which illustrates my point - all the manufacturers are chasing the same market and none, it seems, are addressing the demand for smaller, lighter alternatives. We end up buying what they make anyway, regardless of what our ideals may steer us towards, so the accountants are happy.

The buying punters will first need to accept that a simplified AT with lower power, smaller CCs and much lighter weight will cost the same to manufacture, distribute and market as the big one. Maybe then the manufacturers will dare to build something different.

Jon
moto al

Post by moto al »

The Africa twin v bmw 1200 gs
image_2015-07-29-5.jpg
image_2015-07-29-5.jpg (66.57 KiB) Viewed 1444 times
moto al
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

It looks to me more like it's aimed at the Tiger 800/800GS rather than the 1200GS, or maybe the gap between the two types.

Can't see any MPG figures, and does the castor on the front wheel look a bit excessive :S
geordy paul

Post by geordy paul »

You'd prefer a bigger tank as 400 km range is kinda short - Disagree. There is nowhere in the world 250 miles will not find you petrol.
Yes there is. Not many, but there is.

Return to “BIKES”