Africa Twin, high res image & full spcs link from visor down...

The Things We Ride
moto al

Re: Africa Twin, high res image & full spcs link from visor down...

Post by moto al »

africajim wrote:As I always say, horses for courses, and opinions, like arseholes, everyone has one!
Mine is simple, I ride a Crosstourer presently, I've owned seven Africa Twins, I will soon own my eighth AT, albeit a CRF not an XRV!
I love the look of the bike (tricolour especially) and it fills all the criteria I'm looking for.
I'm not going to knock any other brands but I don't want a KTM, I don't want a BMW and I certainly don't want a Triumph, I have ridden Honda's for over 30yrs, loved every one of them. I want a replacement for the CT so the new CRF is for me.
You can buy smaller, lighter, then but a van to Humph it around, you can buy bigger, heavier and tour for ever, but rough tracks are hard going. I believe the new CRF1000L AT will fulfill all the roles I require from a bike, Each to their own, but the new Honda's for me!
Very well put Jim. (thumbs) Al
moto al
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

AndyB wrote:
OnHellas wrote:
AndyB wrote:
OnHellas wrote:Oh, and big bhp number sell bikes.....True.
But real riders don't need big power to enjoy the ride, just a bike that they like.

Because who need, and can regularly use all 160 horse power?
Billy bullshit or proffesional racers. And I know which group there are more of and which ones tell the truth!!!
160bhp on a bike designed & manufactured 10 years ago is a lot to control, on a modern bike with every rider aid that you can think of it's nothing special.

Thats right, with traction control cutting the power, you don't get to use all of the 160 bhp.
As I say, we don't need and can't use it all.
Wrong. You do get to use it but the TC prevents it from spinning the rear tyre when it starts to lose traction on wet or greasy surfaces. The rest of the time it's there to be used.

Just because some riders don't want it that doesn't mean others can't use it even though they probably never will do.
So the TC stops the rear she'll from spinning by.......oh yeah, taking power away from it.
I can assure you that the vast majority of road riders do not, and cannot use 160 bhp.
You just can't ride a bike in the part of the Rev range where that maximum power is made on the public highway.
And those that try soon end up banned or worse.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

OnHellas wrote:
AndyB wrote:
OnHellas wrote:
AndyB wrote:
But real riders don't need big power to enjoy the ride, just a bike that they like.

Billy bullshit or proffesional racers. And I know which group there are more of and which ones tell the truth!!!
160bhp on a bike designed & manufactured 10 years ago is a lot to control, on a modern bike with every rider aid that you can think of it's nothing special.

Thats right, with traction control cutting the power, you don't get to use all of the 160 bhp.
Wrong. You do get to use it but the TC prevents it from spinning the rear tyre when it starts to lose traction on wet or greasy surfaces. The rest of the time it's there to be used.

Just because some riders don't want it that doesn't mean others can't use it even though they probably never will do.
So the TC stops the rear she'll from spinning by.......oh yeah, taking power away from it.
I can assure you that the vast majority of road riders do not, and cannot use 160 bhp.
You just can't ride a bike in the part of the Rev range where that maximum power is made on the public highway.

Go and book a test ride on something like a 1290 Superduke, ride it on full power then switch to rain mode where it's strangled back to 100bhp and tell me it's not more fun on full power. It's about having fun and I find that switching from full power to lower power takes away more than just power from the experience for me.
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

AndyB wrote:
OnHellas wrote:
AndyB wrote:
OnHellas wrote:
AndyB wrote:

Go and book a test ride on something like a 1290 Superduke, ride it on full power then switch to rain mode where it's strangled back to 100bhp and tell me it's not more fun on full power. It's about having fun and I find that switching from full power to lower power takes away more than just power from the experience for me.
At last we agree! Yes it would be more fun.
However, just because it is in the sport/high power mode, doesn't mean that the rider is actually using all of the power that the bike is capable of producing.

A mate of mine had an R1 and I had an Africa Twin,he couldn't keep up around the corners, even if I was two up!
I had a TRX850 and on a track day I was completely blown away by a bloke on a CB500.
(Both happened 15 years ago when those bikes where newish)

So, the power of the bike is determined by the rider twisting the throttle.
And for me, a bike with less power that requires more rider input, selecting the right gear, planning ahead, flowing through corners etc is far more rewarding than relying on great gobs of horse power.

My main bike is an 85 bhp F800GS.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

OnHellas wrote:
AndyB wrote:
OnHellas wrote:
AndyB wrote:
OnHellas wrote:
AndyB wrote:

However, just because it is in the sport/high power mode, doesn't mean that the rider is actually using all of the power that the bike is capable of producing.

A mate of mine had an R1 and I had an Africa Twin,he couldn't keep up around the corners, even if I was two up!
I had a TRX850 and on a track day I was completely blown away by a bloke on a CB500.

And for me, a bike with less power that requires more rider input, selecting the right gear, planning ahead, flowing through corners etc is far more rewarding than relying on great gobs of horse power.

Well I've just seen my ZX10R track bike heading away from my house on a trailer with a new owner looking forward to riding it both on the road and on the track.

That bike was punting out just under 178bhp at the back wheel with no rider aids at all (apart from self preservation) and I had no problems using every available bit of power both on the track and going over the mountain on the Isle of Man.

It was a much more rewarding bike to ride than any adventure bike claiming 150bhp but you always knew it had something decidedly nasty lurking behind the fairing if the tyres weren't properly warmed up :)

Track riding probably made me capable of riding at much higher speeds than a lot of riders but it also made me ride like an absolute clown and that's why the 10R hadn't been on the road since 2012.
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

AndyB wrote:
OnHellas wrote:
AndyB wrote:
OnHellas wrote:
AndyB wrote:
OnHellas wrote:
AndyB wrote:

Well I've just seen my ZX10R track bike heading away from my house on a trailer with a new owner looking forward to riding it both on the road and on the track.

That bike was punting out just under 178bhp at the back wheel with no rider aids at all (apart from self preservation) and I had no problems using every available bit of power both on the track and going over the mountain on the Isle of Man.

It was a much more rewarding bike to ride than any adventure bike claiming 150bhp but you always knew it had something decidedly nasty lurking behind the fairing if the tyres weren't properly warmed up :)

Track riding probably made me capable of riding at much higher speeds than a lot of riders but it also made me ride like an absolute clown and that's why the 10R hadn't been on the road since 2012.
If you are one of the very few that can utilise that kind of power output and ride the mountain section like a TT racer then my hat is off to you.
More importantly, if you rode like that on open UK roads then I'm glad that you gave up before.........
legoman

Post by legoman »

go on youtube look up Geek tv. and you will find the Honda team talking about it and showing you it.. its part of adventure bike TV. (thumbs)
moto al

Post by moto al »

image_2015-07-25-3.jpg
image_2015-07-25-3.jpg (45.13 KiB) Viewed 1958 times
???????? Ok it's photo shop . I think. :whistle: Al
moto al
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

Looks good though innit !!
ZX Raziel

Post by ZX Raziel »

Bash plate and the crash bars looks just wrong on that picture :sick:

Return to “BIKES”