Africa Twin, high res image & full spcs link from visor down...

The Things We Ride
captinktm

Re: Africa Twin, high res image & full spcs link from visor down...

Post by captinktm »

cozmo1589 wrote:Well what a mix bag of positive and negative comments thus far but then we can't all covert the same machine otherwise it would be a boring old world we lived in.

So i have owned 4 x new Hondas over the last 5 or 6 years or so and in my humble honest opinion regarding actual build quality and reliability, Honda simply cannot be beaten on either front. I also own a BMW which i think is absolutely bloody fantastic but its not built any better than the big H.

Re the size of the tank and overall range, well i for one am perfectly happy to refuel circa 200 miles or thereabouts. I actually like to get off the bike and stretch my legs and have a brew. I once had a Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX with a 32ltr tank and that thing ridden carefully would cover nigh on 375 miles, way way to long to be stuck in the saddle and anyone who says different must have a cast iron butt.

When everyone questions its overall BHP, when was circa 95bhp for something that weighs less than 250kgs never enough in real world riding situations?? Suzuki seem to think 100bhp is fine for their new V Strom 1000 and that selling well enough around the world. I have had plenty of bikes around 100BHP and all cruised perfectly well at legal speeds, all would out accelerate the vast majority of cars and all would easily exceed 100 mph which is plenty quick enough so unless you want to exceed 140 - 150 mph whats the real point? I currently have a 130BHP Honda Crosstourer and hardly do i ever really benefit from all that power on tap. I actually find it hilarious that KTM and Ducati for instance build adventurer touring bikes that have around 160BHP, totally ridiculous and on dual purpose tyres. Want more torque and power, get a sports bike i say. i for one am looking forward to a more agile and lighter bike to use day to day.

Looks are totally subjective and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I for one like its appearance and hope it rides as good as it looks. Once its available for demos later this year, i plan to chop in my Crosstourer and get myself one providing it fits me okay and is comfortable enough.
2015-07-23_20-07-09.jpg
:woohoo:
200 miles is great if you are riding on motorways or just short round trips but if you travel off road then it just aint enough.
Spout

Post by Spout »

Reading Hondas blurb it appears the ABS can be turned off on the rear wheel only.

Good job they have a non ABS version.
GB

Post by GB »

On the weight and HP thing it comes nowhere close to my dream bike.

bmw-hp2-enduro-7227_2015-07-24.jpg
bmw-hp2-enduro-7227_2015-07-24.jpg (35.46 KiB) Viewed 1108 times
Finally back on a GS :D
ZX Raziel

Post by ZX Raziel »

cozmo1589 wrote:Well what a mix bag of positive and negative comments thus far but then we can't all covert the same machine otherwise it would be a boring old world we lived in.

So i have owned 4 x new Hondas over the last 5 or 6 years or so and in my humble honest opinion regarding actual build quality and reliability, Honda simply cannot be beaten on either front. I also own a BMW which i think is absolutely bloody fantastic but its not built any better than the big H.

Re the size of the tank and overall range, well i for one am perfectly happy to refuel circa 200 miles or thereabouts. I actually like to get off the bike and stretch my legs and have a brew. I once had a Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX with a 32ltr tank and that thing ridden carefully would cover nigh on 375 miles, way way to long to be stuck in the saddle and anyone who says different must have a cast iron butt.

When everyone questions its overall BHP, when was circa 95bhp for something that weighs less than 250kgs never enough in real world riding situations?? Suzuki seem to think 100bhp is fine for their new V Strom 1000 and that selling well enough around the world. I have had plenty of bikes around 100BHP and all cruised perfectly well at legal speeds, all would out accelerate the vast majority of cars and all would easily exceed 100 mph which is plenty quick enough so unless you want to exceed 140 - 150 mph whats the real point? I currently have a 130BHP Honda Crosstourer and hardly do i ever really benefit from all that power on tap. I actually find it hilarious that KTM and Ducati for instance build adventurer touring bikes that have around 160BHP, totally ridiculous and on dual purpose tyres. Want more torque and power, get a sports bike i say. i for one am looking forward to a more agile and lighter bike to use day to day.

Looks are totally subjective and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I for one like its appearance and hope it rides as good as it looks. Once its available for demos later this year, i plan to chop in my Crosstourer and get myself one providing it fits me okay and is comfortable enough.
2015-07-23_20-07-09.jpg
You are right about it being nice to stop for fuel and have a little break , but sometimes there is no fuel , that is when bigger tank comes in handy , and you dont have to keep it full if there is no need , to save weight .

As for horse power number - it helps to sell , people love to brag about it .
The test where they have compared the GS1200 and the 1190 which has "many more horses"
rolling from 40 mph the BMW had won , horsepower comes in to play at high RPM's , most of us dont rev the engine all the time for obvious reasons , so for non racing conditions torque matters more than HP .
ZX Raziel

Post by ZX Raziel »

GB wrote:On the weight and HP thing it comes nowhere close to my dream bike.

bmw-hp2-enduro-7227_2015-07-24.jpg
And again apples to oranges .
we all know how good the bmw HP was and the 950 SE , but they never sold too well , why ?
But if that is what you want you can still get them second hand , nothing wrong with that .
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

captinktm wrote:

2015-07-23_20-07-09.jpg
200 miles is great if you are riding on motorways or just short round trips but if you travel off road then it just aint enough.
200 miles off road isn't enough fuel wise? I though roughty toughty overlanders carried extra fuel.
Where are you riding?
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

Oh, and big bhp number sell bikes.....True.
But real riders don't need big power to enjoy the ride, just a bike that they like.

Because who need, and can regularly use all 160 horse power?
Billy bullshit or proffesional racers. And I know which group there are more of and which ones tell the truth!!!
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

OnHellas wrote:Oh, and big bhp number sell bikes.....True.
But real riders don't need big power to enjoy the ride, just a bike that they like.

Billy bullshit or proffesional racers. And I know which group there are more of and which ones tell the truth!!!
160bhp on a bike designed & manufactured 10 years ago is a lot to control, on a modern bike with every rider aid that you can think of it's nothing special.

If you don't believe me then go and have a test ride on one because the biggest group is the one containing the people who talk without testing.
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

AndyB wrote:
OnHellas wrote:Oh, and big bhp number sell bikes.....True.

160bhp on a bike designed & manufactured 10 years ago is a lot to control, on a modern bike with every rider aid that you can think of it's nothing special.

Thats right, with traction control cutting the power, you don't get to use all of the 160 bhp.
As I say, we don't need and can't use it all.
Trev

Post by Trev »

Blimey who would have thought a new bike launch could be kick up so many varied opinions, goes to show we're all different although not everyone quite so willing to accept that. Ones thing for sure, the thing will sell like hot cakes if they get the pricing right and in one respect, the DCT, there simply is no competition - at the moment anyway.

Can't decide whether to go new or wait for the inevitable low mileage returnees that always come up from a new bike launch/eager beavers

Return to “BIKES”