MOT Failure

The Things We Ride
Redmurty

MOT Failure

Post by Redmurty »

Bugger bike less (well technically I own 2)my Tiger has just failed it's MOT for "notchy steering bearings" I can't feel anything wrong myself but I might just of gotten used to how it steers, my mate who is a Triumph mechanic said he thinks there's nothing wrong but the tester was adamant, out come the spanners, well it has done over 43k so I suppose it's not really a surprise

My Tiddler the DR is on a sorn at the moment as well as it gets finished for the HISS

:pinch: not having a working bike in over a decade feels very weird :huh:

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
bowber

Re: MOT Failure

Post by bowber »

Not a bad distance to have to change the bearings but if a Triumph mechanic says they are ok then they are ok and the worry is then what has caused the tester to feel notchy head bearings. Will he then fail it again because the new ones don't make any difference?

Steve
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

bowber wrote:Not a bad distance to have to change the bearings but if a Triumph mechanic says they are ok then they are ok and the worry is then what has caused the tester to feel notchy head bearings. Will he then fail it again because the new ones don't make any difference?

Steve
my mate recons they are not notchy but yes what else could it be if the bearings are good when we look ?

cheers Spud
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

Alternatively, based on what your mechanic mate has told you you could take a chance and go back for a re test and say it has been sorted by a Triumph mechanic.

Possibly save yourself time & money
SteveR

Re: Re: MOT Failure

Post by SteveR »

Redmurty wrote:
bowber wrote:Not a bad distance to have to change the bearings but if a Triumph mechanic says they are ok then they are ok and the worry is then what has caused the tester to feel notchy head bearings. Will he then fail it again because the new ones don't make any difference?

Steve
my mate recons they are not notchy but yes what else could it be if the bearings are good when we look ?

cheers Spud
Cable or brake lines catching? Had the same problem with Charlie's Honda, didnt sem anything wrong.. I dropped the front end down, cleaned the ball races, loads of grease and put it back together.

Good luck. I'd lend you the Vara, but it has a flat rear!
trophydave

Post by trophydave »

Flintlock wrote:Alternatively, based on what your mechanic mate has told you you could take a chance and go back for a re test and say it has been sorted by a Triumph mechanic.

Possibly save yourself time & money
If your mate is certain its alright I would be tempted to wipe it over with a rag then smear some grease around and take it back for a retest.It wouldnt be the first time an MOT tester has tried it on.
skipper

Post by skipper »

I would take it somewhere else next time.No time for mot testers looking for work.
Dave DRZ

Post by Dave DRZ »

skipper wrote:I would take it somewhere else next time.No time for mot testers looking for work.
Agree. If you trust your mate the mechanic, I'd take it somewhere else on Monday.

Dave
Far Off Places; a motorcycle adventure from Manchester to Manali www.faroffplaces.net
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

Another one just to take the bike elsewhere so long as another mot is cheaper than the bearings.
I took my car to the garage across the road from my work last year.I already knew they were chancers but it's just so easy to drop it off then cross the street to pick it up at night.£400 later and I still have 7 advisories.This year,with no work done to it,I take it to a country garage,a 1.5 mile walk from my house.Passed with one advisory and it wasn't even one that was listed last year!
daytona-supersport

Post by daytona-supersport »

If it really feels fine, then just wipe the area clean, loosen of the yokes and poke a bit of clean grease around the area, re-adjust the bearings and take it back for a retest. This is what many garages would do if you took it to them for head bearings. :laugh:

Return to “BIKES”