Id say this has been under used

The Things We Ride
dave j

Re: Id say this has been under used

Post by dave j »

No different from all the Hardly Movingsons owners - A marketing departments dream.

Its selling a "lifestyle" - some buy the hype, some don't. Pay your money takes your choice. Personally, I love seeing hardly used gear on e-bay, costs me half the price, because the seller "must have" the latest farkle (which they still won't use!)
KTM 1290 Super Adventure T - Power!
KTM 690 Enduro R - lighter to pick up
Husqvarna Svartpilen 401 - Fun.

Even our dogs are orange.

Only bikers understand why dogs put their heads out of car windows.
steve172

Post by steve172 »

I don't understand why people buy such bikes and put hee haw miles on them.

When I picked up my 2011 KTM in mid march, it had only done 2,500 miles average per year. I have put almost that on it in the last 6 weeks i.e. it's been ridden every single day and done a trip up north.

I guess the plus side is that it gives some of us an opportunity to buy an "as new" bike for much less dough.
jonesthesteam

Post by jonesthesteam »

But....if everyone motorbike owner used their bikes all year round in all weathers then surely the people like me who can't afford new, but do like to buy great condition, low mileage bikes would be out of the market.

These sort of bikes are the ones that dictate the second hand bike market, I wouldn't want to have just a choice of knackered old shitter or brand spanking new.

I say it's his choice and is beneficial to all bike owners (apart from those who only like knackered old shitter or shiny new :)

Jonesy
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

jonesthesteam wrote:But....if everyone motorbike owner used their bikes all year round in all weathers then surely the people like me who can't afford new, but do like to buy great condition, low mileage bikes would be out of the market.

These sort of bikes are the ones that dictate the second hand bike market, I wouldn't want to have just a choice of knackered old shitter or brand spanking new.

I say it's his choice and is beneficial to all bike owners (apart from those who only like knackered old shitter or shiny new :)

Jonesy
A bike that's extremely low mileage for its age isn't the best second hand buy. If your buying stuff thats 3-4 years old and only done 3-4000 miles, then I'd agree with you, but this eBay auction is for a 14 year old bike. How many years has it spent sitting in a garage, going nowhere and basically neglected. A bike needs to be ridden, maintained and generally looked after. A bike left in storage but not ridden will have brittle rubber parts, corroded electric connectors and brittle insulation on the wiring loom, stiff dry chain, seized dry bearings, seized brake calipers, a weak battery, gummed up carbs, cracked tyres, paper air filter falling apart, and possibly even a mouse nesting in the air box.

If I bought this bike it'd have to be for a brilliant price to pay for all the time and money I was going to spend stripping it down, relubricating and replacing consumable items or knackered parts.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

I agree with Ralph. People in this country seem to want to shy away from higher mileage bikes, why I have no idea. Perhaps because we are a small island and many seem to think 200 miles is a long way.

The perception of engine problems? Give me a high mileage well maintained bike all day long over a low mileage one that's been sitting in a garage for years. Modern engines are amazing things, it's not the 1950's - that 1150 is overpriced and if bought and ridden will lose 2 grand plus of its value (at the asking price) in the first month if used as intended. It's a poor buy.

By contrast, a KTM 950 S sold last night on ebay for just over 3 grand. 30k miles on it, what an awesome buy for someone. A mate just bought one for a good price as well. Slightly higher mileage but a very diligent owner and used as intended. Same, around 3k. These are a hell of a lot of bike for the money.
AirbusPaul

Post by AirbusPaul »

steve172 wrote:I don't understand why people buy such bikes and put hee haw miles on them.

When I picked up my 2011 KTM in mid march, it had only done 2,500 miles average per year. I have put almost that on it in the last 6 weeks i.e. it's been ridden every single day and done a trip up north.

I guess the plus side is that it gives some of us an opportunity to buy an "as new" bike for much less dough.
Know the feeling I bought a new 1190 in October 2013 and have done 1000 miles due to my work comitments
If I don't get to use the bike this year I may as well sell it.
johnnyboxer

Id say this has been under used

Post by johnnyboxer »

Mike54 wrote:I agree with Ralph. People in this country seem to want to shy away from higher mileage bikes, why I have no idea. Perhaps because we are a small island and many seem to think 200 miles is a long way.

The perception of engine problems? Give me a high mileage well maintained bike all day long over a low mileage one that's been sitting in a garage for years. Modern engines are amazing things, it's not the 1950's - that 1150 is overpriced and if bought and ridden will lose 2 grand plus of its value (at the asking price) in the first month if used as intended. It's a poor buy.

By contrast, a KTM 950 S sold last night on ebay for just over 3 grand. 30k miles on it, what an awesome buy for someone. A mate just bought one for a good price as well. Slightly higher mileage but a very diligent owner and used as intended. Same, around 3k. These are a hell of a lot of bike for the money.
GS bikes will always fetch more than KTM's as they are more in demand & popular though

Big KTM are cheap for a reason - lack of demand

A 12-13 year old 1150 GS with 70k on it will still fetch £3k if it's in good nick

Airhead GS prices are even crazier
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

as someone has already said some people actually ride their bikes, I was asked the other day if I rode my bike if it rained, I simply replied "if I didn't I would only get out a few days a year" the person who asked me said their mate only goes out if there is absolutely no chance of rain.
I have 40k on the Tiger which is nothing I think that engine will last a long time if looked after, and there comes a point where residuals mean it is simply not worth getting rid of the bike.
I think the simple answer is to ride the bike that's what it was bought for and just take care of it, it's quite simple for me because of a massive house refurb I don't have the money to throw at new bikes otherwise there would be a CCM and a Tiger XCA in the garage or if I was feeling really brave one of Mike's built Yams (thumbs)

Buy ride enjoy, no matter how long your living your a long time dead :whistle:

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself

Return to “BIKES”