The Suzuki DRZ400 S Thread ~ is it the best genuine allrounder?

The Things We Ride
johnnyboxer

The Suzuki DRZ400 S Thread ~ is it the best genuine allrounder?

Post by johnnyboxer »

Everything points to this being a great bike

Plenty of grunt for a 400

Good road manners

Ability to offroad well, for a trailbike - even though it's on the heavy side of light :whistle:

Loads of aftermarket parts and backup

Oldschool enough, so you can fix in the shed

Will tour ok, for a 400cc bike - with soft luggage

Is it the best all round sub 800cc bike?

Tell me how you like it, good and bad (thumbs)
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Scott_rider

Re: DRZ400S ~ is it the best genuine allrounder?

Post by Scott_rider »

Good bikes but the lack of a 6th gear comprise their road ability, in my opinion.
I once had the 'E' model and it desperately needed a 6th gear.
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Scott_rider wrote:Good bikes but the lack of a 6th gear comprise their road ability, in my opinion.
Some say that the 6 ratios on the DR350, end up the same overall as the DRZ400S with 5

I'm sure I read that the 5th on the DRZ400S was higher, that the DR350's 6th

Is this true?

Unfortunately a lot of bikes only come with 5 gears nowadays

i was always looking for 6th on the XChallenge or the XR400

6 gears seems a better compromise, I agree
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Got to agree. There are pros and cons to any bike but the fact its so common, rugged and grunty makes it about the best there is. Lets list some competition with a few pros and cons to start the debate:

XR400 Old, most don't have electric start? Great off road.
CCM 450 Expensive, maybe more tricky to work on but other than that perfect?
KTM 690 Sound unreliable? Expensive? But extremely good all round?
DR650 Rare (over here), bit heavy, great power.
DR350 Too old now? Reliable (as long as I haven't worked on it. Cheap, light?
CRF250L Cheap, lightish, lack power, good off road
F650GS Cheap, heaviest, best on road?
DRZ Cheap reliable, fixable, grunty, lightish.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

johnnyboxer wrote:
Scott_rider wrote:Good bikes but the lack of a 6th gear comprise their road ability, in my opinion.
Some say that the 6 ratios on the DR350, end up the same overall as the DRZ400S with 5

I'm sure I read that the 5th on the DRZ400S was higher, that the DR350's 6th

Is this true?

Unfortunately a lot of bikes only come with 5 gears nowadays

i was always looking for 6th on the XChallenge or the XR400

6 gears seems a better compromise, I agree
Having done a lot of road miles on both the DR350 and the DRZ I would say the DRZ feels like it needs a sixth gear because the joy of the engine is low down but when you actually rev it a bit higher its fine. The extra power in the DRZ means you can ride at higher speed for longer and not worry about the engine. The DR350 has a better gearbox but the lack of those extra horses is more noticable on a long run.

Just one guys opinion though...
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ
Fried Egg Sandwich

Post by Fried Egg Sandwich »

Yes. (thumbs)
Nuff said (except for the granite seat) :evil:
Suzuki DRZ400S
BMW R1150GS
Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke Irish orator, philosopher, & politician (1729 - 1797)
mancunian

Post by mancunian »

I have owned the following bikes green laning extensively on all of them, rallies enduros and classic trials on some of them and a fair few road miles on a few of them: -
dr350s
drz400s
exc250r
exc250 2t
exc300 2t
640 advR
650 pegaso

I currently ride my beloved 640 adventure R, I have however allways maintained that the best genuine allrounder is the drz !
What else can comfortably go around an MX track then sit on the motorway (semi)comfortably at the national speed limit?
And only needs the oil changing every 6000 miles!
Paul-S

Post by Paul-S »

I feel that this bike would fit the bill nicely

As has been said it's reliable, capable off road, simple to work on (no fancy electronics), good service intervals and millions of parts available

I ran mine recently on a road ride out and it coped very well. I have near standard gearing for an S at 15:43 and it's doing 6k revs at 65 mph (on satnav) 6.5k at 70 mph but it feels all day comfortable at 65. I've taken it to 84mph but it's moving around a lot on the MT21s at that speed. Max speed on dyno was 91 at max revs (not going to be riding anywhere near there).

Regarding the dyno and set up (Yoshi can, link pipe, 3x3 etc) At 5k rpm it was making 20 hp and now it's making 25 hp at the same revs. That's at 55 mph so a big lift in a range where I can use for overtakes. Similarly it was producing 21 nm torque and this is now up to 27 at the same revs. Massive effect. Max power was only available at 9k rpm and has increased from 33 to 35 but I'll never need or be riding at that rate. The important gains have been in the midrange within the National Speed Limits

I have ridden an enduro version off road a couple of times so I know the suspension can cope. I have been looking at the S for over 2 years now and before Xmas got exactly the one I was looking for and (lower compression engine but with the enduro suspension) the one that you have seen modified with the bigger tank, pannier racks and rack, adjustable screen cockpit fairing from Britannia Composites. I have no wind blast or rain on me so the screen is in a perfect position for me. More efficient lighting all round allows me to have charging facilities, Montana and heated grips. Couplped with the recent Tony Archer modified seat it's good for big trips and I have the soft luggage to go with it.

At 94kgs lighter than my Africa Twin with more power to weight and torque too it's not surprising that it's quicker up to 70 mph than the Twin (and I don't hang about on the twin either)

Regarding the 6th gear on the DR350 and only 5 on the DRZ, I went out 2 weekends ago with David on the DR350 and me on the DRZ. At motorway speeds he felt the DR350 was pulling too many revs compared to the DRZ. The DR has one tooth less on the rear too.

My new addition

P1060296_2015-04-08.jpg
P1060296_2015-04-08.jpg (82.48 KiB) Viewed 1946 times

I'm looking forward to some long trips on this
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

I think the DRZ is a bit too tall.

If the Tenere was lower and lighter it would be the perfect all rounder as the bit more power makes it better on the road.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
Lairyskippy

Post by Lairyskippy »

Definitely..........but having bought a KTM 690 Enduro R my DRZ400S will soon be up for sale. It's currently residing in Spain having a holiday and lapping up the sun. It'll be trailered back to Blighty and up for sale asap.

Return to β€œBIKES”