The Suzuki DRZ400 S Thread ~ is it the best genuine allrounder?

The Things We Ride
mancunian

Re: The Suzuki DRZ400 S Thread ~ is it the best genuine allrounder?

Post by mancunian »

The standard dust caps aren't much good either :dry:
Make sure you change them first chance you get (thumbs)
Paul-S

Post by Paul-S »

mancunian wrote:The standard dust caps aren't much good either :dry:
Make sure you change them first chance you get (thumbs)
Best change mine then

:laugh:
david a hall

Post by david a hall »

onslowe wrote:Before everybody goes out and buys a DRZ400S I would ask you to bear in mind that as standard the bike really requires a few modifications that can add up to a fair amount of investment in time and money. The main issue on road is a gearbox that has too few gears or the fact it is geared too low so you are thrashing it just to keep up with normal traffic and it is no fun on dual carriageways even if just for 50 miles or so. For off road the modifications can include :-
3 x 3 carb mod and rejet for more power, new exhaust can help save weight and increase power.
Case savers
Bash plate
Rack
better tyres
All fasteners changed for S/Steel as they rust easily
Rad guards.
Frame guards
Side stand foot mod
PAIR Valve removal
Better pegs
New handlebars and possibly risers as otherwise it feels as though it will spit you over the top ASAP.
Sprocket spacer change to Stainless or lose all your oil.
Sprocket cover replcement to save cases when chain snaps.
If you are a fast offroad rider the suspension will need work as its soft (dives a fair bit on road but not too bad)
The spokes rust like hell as does the rest of the bike.
I am sure there are other details as well, don't get me wrong its a decent, popular bike but it seems to be getting put on a pedestal and I would say at least get one that has had some mods already done or expect to spend plenty of time and money getting it anywhere near a KTM etc.
Cheers, Martin
What a load of bollox.... Mine is a 2001, no rust on the fasteners. I did blag a rack off one of my sons mates but not till I had owned it for 4 years and most trail bikes don't come with them as standard. I did replace the bars but ony after I had bent the old ones and new ones I nicked off sons Gas Gas that had risers on, but again after I had owned the bike for 5 years. So for the 6 years I have owned it it has been very very bog standard.... I have ridden it hard and regular, I'm sure there are plenty on here who have ridden with myself on my Drz.... Will testify to that.... This weekend because the Husquvana guy is a mate of mine I rode the entire range of bikes and none of them compare to my drz. They all had better suspension were bocoup rapid and ready to race.... But they were 6-7 grand and won't be be being ridden in 15 years time. My dr is for crossing mountains in Wales and nipping to town on, for that it doesn't need the stuff you describe as must haves.....
onslowe

Post by onslowe »

David, glad you are happy with your DRZ, as are many others. I just wanted to even up the reviews in case a potential buyer might be misled. Maybe Suzuki changed the supplier for their fasteners towards the end of the models production, that happens a lot. The mods I listed are almost all well known, therefore carried out on a regular basis, just passing on the info and not trying to wreck the bikes reputation.
SIF

Post by SIF »

You've got to love this forum !!! Great for opinions on what makes an adventurer or adventure bike, what it must have etc etc etc. If only we spent more time riding rather than typing..... ;)
david a hall

Post by david a hall »

onslowe wrote:David, glad you are happy with your DRZ, as are many others. I just wanted to even up the reviews in case a potential buyer might be misled. Maybe Suzuki changed the supplier for their fasteners towards the end of the models production, that happens a lot. The mods I listed are almost all well known, therefore carried out on a regular basis, just passing on the info and not trying to wreck the bikes reputation.
I'm content with it to take me where I want to go on it as it is.... I hate the dissatisfaction that gets chucked Into the pot, it does 65 on the roads and 30 on the trails, that's fast enough for me.... If I wanted toget to the top of the cathedral dune then the 501 I rode is the tool for that, if I wanted to win an enduro the 300 two stroke is the tool,to ride England's green and pleasants then the DRz doesnt need a lot of altering.
bond_yzf

Post by bond_yzf »

SIF wrote:You've got to love this forum !!! Great for opinions on what makes an adventurer or adventure bike, what it must have etc etc etc. If only we spent more time riding rather than typing..... ;)
oh how very true (thumbs)
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Like Mr Hall says, the DRZ-S makes a cracking trailbike, in the trailbike sense of the word

It's fully road legal and can carry a pillion, just add some knobblies and you're away

I was really surprised by mine, 3 weeks ago - even on stock 15/44 S Gearing - it was fine on gnarly Devon lanes and would breeze along the A roads at 65-70mph

If you want to trick it up, there a plenty of farkles

Me, I'm going to do a few sensible mods - alloy bashplate/frameguards/Suzuki rack (so cheap it surprised me)/case savers/countershaft spacer and that's about it (thumbs)
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
felco

Post by felco »

bond_yzf wrote:
SIF wrote:You've got to love this forum !!! Great for opinions on what makes an adventurer or adventure bike, what it must have etc etc etc. If only we spent more time riding rather than typing..... ;)
oh how very true (thumbs)
I agree with this too, lately I have spent far too much time on here, by Here I mean being online in general, haven't riden my bike for months! Mainly because I have been making modifications to a perfectly good bike :whistle:
But instead of reading I will be riding :) cant wait, btw I don't think the drz is a bad bike, reckon it was definitely a sales success for Suzuki, wonder why?
SIF

Post by SIF »

http://adventurebikerider.com/forum/25- ... -kent.html

Thought I had better make an effort....

Return to “BIKES”