Which Bike

The Things We Ride
Milo Tighfield

Which Bike

Post by Milo Tighfield »

just after some help. I'm looking at getting back on two wheels and I have narrowed my choice down to these. Could anyone enlighten me of the pro's and con's of owning one of them. Bear in mind I'm not exactly mechanically knowledgeable :ohmy:
Apart from the weight of the bikes, what do you think of them.
I like the Triumph Explorer 1215 I have read they have a good alternator for all the add ons but noisy engine.
I also like the Yamaha Super Tenere 1200, not really read about any issues apart from weight and mpg.
And finally the Bmw 1200gs, I've read bad stories about the newer ones being unreliable, but what about the slightly older ones.
I cant make my mind up out of the 3. I'm not quite ready for test rides yet. :huh: :whistle:
Wapping

Re: Which Bike

Post by Wapping »

Ride each of them yourself, it'll make it much easier for you to decide.
Bernard Smith

Post by Bernard Smith »

Milo Tighfield wrote:just after some help. I'm looking at getting back on two wheels and I have narrowed my choice down to these. Could anyone enlighten me of the pro's and con's of owning one of them. Bear in mind I'm not exactly mechanically knowledgeable :ohmy:
Apart from the weight of the bikes, what do you think of them.
I like the Triumph Explorer 1215 I have read they have a good alternator for all the add ons but noisy engine.
I also like the Yamaha Super Tenere 1200, not really read about any issues apart from weight and mpg.
And finally the Bmw 1200gs, I've read bad stories about the newer ones being unreliable, but what about the slightly older ones.
I cant make my mind up out of the 3. I'm not quite ready for test rides yet. :huh: :whistle:
Greetings Milo - How long have you been 'offline'?

Reader’s Digest on TOUCHING THE WORLD - “…rueful, irreverent, always incredibly vivid, unfailingly honest, a powerful love story in a book crammed with astonishing achievements.”

http://www.worldtour.org.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews ... wpoints=1/
threepot

Post by threepot »

Ride them all,and make your own decision. They're all good. We all have a preference,but what 'one mans meat'.....

Worth trying out the Triumph and Bm 800's??
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

How long have you been without a bike?
What did you used to ride. ?
What do you want to use the bike for.
What is your budget
How tall are you

Answer these questions first then test ride as many bikes as possible, that match your criteria.
Just remember there is no such thing as the perfect bike, you will have yo compromise somewhere, :whistle:

Best of luck in your search. (thumbs)

They like lots of pictures on here
gspod

Post by gspod »

Personally I don't think putting 'practical glasses' on when choosing a bike makes for a long term love affair.
1 - you may choose, statistically, the most reliable bike and get a Friday afternoon nightmare.
2 - You may chose a bike that you think suits your riding style and/or needs but if you don't gel with it you'll never like it no matter how practical it is.

IMHO buy the bike that you like the look of or that stirs your sole. If it's unreliable you'll tinker with it for pleasure, if it's hard to ride you'll learn. The main thing is that every time you open the garage door your heart skips a beat - that way you'll ride it all the time.
(thumbs)
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

I agree with going to see/try them. I'm at that point myself looking for a new bike, having narrowed the field down to 3 or 4 to make it a manageable exercise.

I noticed all your choices are big bikes. Big is not necessarily better. There are some good and capable 600's as well as the 800 mentioned earlier. After a period away, getting your biking mojo back on a smaller bike may be less intimidating and more fun ;)
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

The Explorer 1215 engine was described by one of the popular mags as a 'buzz-saw' of an engine, and when I rode it I could see why, it went like shit off a shovel, but did give quite a vibey vibration. You can't beat triple engines though.

I also found the suspension on the one I rode too hard, so you felt every ridge in the tarmac and it banged through potholes, but that might just have been the suspension adjustment on the bike I rode.

Other than that it's a stonker of a bike, and the best looking of those three IMO.

I went for a Tiger Sport 1050 in the end though as for a strictly tarmac only bike which you want to be smooth, civilised and turn like a sports bike, it won hands down out of the two, ridden back to back. Still if I carried a pillion regularly (and not just my 7 year old son who's tiny) and wanted the extra space I'd go for the Explorer.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

PS: Go ride a Honda Crosstourer, that was my first choice, but was only marginally better than the Tiger Sport IMO, and 2 grand more expensive for same age/mileage.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Milo Tighfield

Post by Milo Tighfield »

Thanks for all your replies and to answer some of your questions. I have every intention to test ride them all. I think what I should have put is what should I look out for, as I said I'm not very mechanically advanced. I can change fluids and filters but that's about it. Maybe I'm looking to much into it. I am a road rider and don't go off road, yes they are all big bikes and like you say big isn't always better, if I was going to travel off road then maybe something smaller. Touring for me is achieved more comfortable on a big bike when there are two of us on the bike and fully loaded. I have owned a 650 vstrom and although a good bike, it wasn't the one for touring for me. Before that I had a K1200RS SE, I've had about half a dozen BMW and other sports bikes. I was nocked of my bike last year and the bike written off. I'm hoping to be fit enough by late summer to start test riding.

Thank you (thumbs)

Return to “BIKES”