Triumph Tiger 800XC Fractured Main Frame

The Things We Ride
Steve1129

Triumph Tiger 800XC Fractured Main Frame

Post by Steve1129 »

Is the 800XC an off road adventure bike? I'm sure XC stands for cross country? That is what Triumph advertise it as or so I thought when I chose it for my trip through the Americas. But here is the reply I got from Triumph CEO regarding the fractures on my Tiger main frame. I rode solo across the Americas covering 29000 miles with only panniers and top box carrying spares fuel water etc, all weighing roughly 65kg. Less than your average pillion. This weight was spread across the panniers topbox and pillion seat.

This is what Triumph say:

Your email has been read by Mr Bloor and passed onto the warranty department to answer.

The design department has been consulted on this issue, they confirm that no such issues were experienced during the extensive testing that was carried out during development, and we have no other reports of this issue in service.

While this model is designed for little off road use, it is considered that the frame would only crack in this manner if the bike was overloaded, for that reason the decision has been made that we are unable to replace the frame under warranty. This decision is based on the fact that the temporary repair has removed all evidence and makes it impossible to closely examine the frame fractures.

I am sorry, but we unable to offer you any further assistance in this matter.

Best regards.

Warranty Technical Support
Triumph Motorcycles Limited
Jacknell Road, Dodwells Bridge Industrial Estate
Hinckley
Leicestershire
LE10 3BS
United Kingdom

(thumbs) For all who have commented on or have been following this thread, I am happy to inform you that Triumph UK are have stood by their offer of a replacement frame for my Tiger 800XC.

They have also offered to meet me halfway with the cost (just over £400 to me) of having the frame replaced and the bike rebuilt, which I have accepted.

And as I have said both in my blog and on this forum; I never had an issue with the Tigers ability as an adventure bike (despite the fractures), the bike has coped with everything the terrain and I threw at it, and I would do it all again on the same bike.

And as an avid Triumph fan I am glad we have reached a resolution and I am looking forward to getting back on my bike and planning my next trip.
(thumbs)
UnionTriumph.JPG
UnionTriumph.JPG (118.54 KiB) Viewed 2240 times
redbikejohn

Re: Triumph Tiger 800XC Fractured Main Frame

Post by redbikejohn »

they have a history of trying to get out of paying for warranty work
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
peterpan241

Post by peterpan241 »

With such a successful machine you really like to think they would replace it, investigate the alleged overloading and improve their design. Oh no lets reject the claim, pretend it didn't happen and then we'll bitterly refute all the bad press that comes our way. Nice one Triumph!!! :(
Adventure before Dementia
Frequentflyer

Post by Frequentflyer »

To be honest the only thing thats stopped me buying an 800 is Triumphs poor reputation for putting things right.
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

I remember the pre-launch videos of this model. It was definitely sold as an off road capable machine.
Without prejudicing your legal position are you able to put a bit of context around your mishap.
Cheers
Dave
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

thats crap ..they wont budge so just put it up on you tube and face book with nice hd pictures of the failed frame along with a copy of your reply ....feck em :evil:
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
herman

Post by herman »

Denial has been their policy from day one as I found with a 900 many moons ago. They make loverly bikes but I wont have another purely based on this policy.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Steve1129

Post by Steve1129 »

Yes, I basically rode it solo through the Americas a lot of which was on gravel and dirt tracks from Ushuaia to Prudhoe Bay. The cracks appeared in Colombia which is where I had to get the temporary repairs done.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

hey steve perhaps yopu should point out to them what they are saying on there own websit
what a total cop out ...

this is cut and pasted from the 800 xc page

n the Tiger 800 so it’s got loads of torque and muscular power. And the tough steel frame and long distance fuel range are from the Tiger 800 too. The added XC is what gives you the next-level off-road ability.

This is a hard-core bike that you can cross continents on, whether or not there are roads going in that direction. Just load it up and go.
- See more at: http://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/mot ... W3Dfb.dpuf

http://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/mot ... ger-800-xc
dumbasses
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

I don't think that would just be a problem with Triumph.Fracture a frame then get someone else to repair it before putting in a warranty claim.If you change your own oil on any make of new bike you'll invalidate the warranty!

Return to “BIKES”