BMW X Challenge

The Things We Ride
KTMChris

BMW X Challenge

Post by KTMChris »

I'm looking at buying one of these. This will replace my 950adv and if I get on with it the DRZ will also go. I've seen this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-G650X-X-C ... 4ade476c6a The cosmetic side doesn't bother me its the electrical fault that i'm not sure about neutral swith fault?
Anybody had one of these with this fault? What's your views on the price. I'm thinking about £2200 is a fair price given the faults/damage.

What do you think.

Cheers
Tramp

Re: BMW X Challenge

Post by Tramp »

yamahafjr1300!

Post by yamahafjr1300! »

I have seen this bike myself but am put off by the exhaust bandage!! I tend to steer clear of bikes that have started to develop electrical issues also!. This time of year I would try a cheeky offer of 2k, and work from there.
Good luck, Alan.
Dave DRZ

Post by Dave DRZ »

I wouldn't be put off by the exhaust bandage, I'm guessing it is there to stop your legs burning. I've ruined my trousers by melting them at that point - I'm using some Bailey wire as an impromptu guard till I sort out something better.

Given the condition and the mileage I agree that £2600 is too high, especially at this time of year when no one is buying bikes.

No experience of the electrical fault, Chris, but may be a simple as a side stand switch. As with the drz there maybe a way to bypass it?

Dave
Far Off Places; a motorcycle adventure from Manchester to Manali www.faroffplaces.net
bond_yzf

Post by bond_yzf »

I think that is rockoz's mates x challenge
mjojom

Post by mjojom »

i believe it would be one of the two circuits: 1: neutral sensor switch
2: side stand switch. should be easy to check/fix
quite common on bmw`s actually.
Dutchgit

Post by Dutchgit »

It's probably the switch in the clutch lever. These can stick over time if neglected/old. You might get away with just some WD40. The switch is only a few quid.
There's a rubbing spot on the airbellow on the rear shock. That's going to bring a bad day soon. the plastic guard for the shock is also missing. Possibly removed as it was rubbing the spring on compression.
For two grand you might get lucky.
It'll end in tears I tells ya.
johnnyboxer

BMW X Challenge

Post by johnnyboxer »

There are a number of Achilles heels, like any bike

Clocks go west & can cause battery drain

Clutch cover can wear & goose the whole clutch

Starter solenoid

Forks/Airshock need work

Good bikes but not perfect
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
KTMChris

Post by KTMChris »

Thanks for the replies, I've been reading through the ADV thread theres a lot of reading there :woohoo:

Will check the air shock for wear. If I got one and got on with it would probably swap it out for a standard shock.

The main reason why these appeal to me is that I want only one bike. I know they have there faults but no bikes perfect :laugh:

At 150kg I think these would fit what I want. Weekends away (solo), trails and could commute if needed. I love the DRZ but getting to and from the lanes/destination it just needs a little more. :(
johnnyboxer

BMW X Challenge

Post by johnnyboxer »

Fuelling is fine but typical BMW 650 & can be jerky at low revs offroad

The 650 engine is tuned for high revs smoothness - not low speed offroad

You have to gear it down loads from a 15 to a 13 front sprocket to make it tractable for the uk & then it's compromised for the road speeds

A carbed bike will be better offroad in the uk - the Xchallenge excels on fast open & dry tracks, not snotty & rocky uk trails, the Airshock is crap at slow speed, the faster you go the better it is - it's crap on uk rocks

A 640 KTM Adventure will be better in every way
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like

Return to “BIKES”