living with a ural

The Things We Ride
bond_yzf

living with a ural

Post by bond_yzf »

Im considering buying a ural outfit and tbh I know nowt about them, dont ask me why im considering it ive just always liked the look of them

so what im looking for is real world honest opnions from owners and what are the pros and cons

it will be a toy something to tinker with and the odd occasional long weekend away

Any help mucho appreciated
special one

Re: living with a ural

Post by special one »

I can't help with any info apart from they look awesome and can I have a go in the sidecar? (thumbs)
Current bikes...

2003 KTM 950 adventure in silvery blue...

2013 KTM 450 exc-f in orange /white

2007 Scorpa SY250 trials in blue.
Willy_Eckerslike

Post by Willy_Eckerslike »

Slow, drink like a fish. Older ones had the usual electrical problems but were easy to fix, but were slow. Newer ones still need a bit of tinkering with but are much better now but still slow. Did I mention how slow they are?
A ship is safe in harbour, but that’s not what ships are for. – Grace Hopper
bond_yzf

Post by bond_yzf »

If I wanted fast id stick a chair on me 800

speed isnt a factor in it tbh
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I bought a new one in 2008. Desert camo. I got it from a UK importer, 750cc, brembo brakes and "European Bearings"
The official UK ones have to have the chair on the left, to get through the mot. This means you can't have the two wheel drive version. However, don't let that bother you, if want two wheel drive and you get a European one (rights hand chair) no mot testers are aware of the rules anyway.
The new ones which are 750cc cruise at about 45-50mph and top out at 65-70 if you've got the bollocks!
They are a bit difficult to get your head around at first, just forget everything you've learnt about riding solo motorbikes!
If you've never ridden a combination, Don't buy one and think you'll just ride it home. You will die.
Get some practice on an empty industrial estate at night or weekend.
They are totally impractical and don't make sense in the modern world, but they are great fun at less than 50mph.
bond_yzf

Post by bond_yzf »

This is a 650 1991 model
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

......pull up at any biker cafe and be prepared to fight off bearded men with a shitty stick.
Embarrass your kids by dropping them off on the school run.
Watch people pointing and laughing (not always with you) as you pass by.
Move from about a 4, straight to an 11 on the eccentric scale as soon as you get on.
stanbloke

Post by stanbloke »

Plenty of plans to work from Jim.

Build your own over the winter and put it on the gs , build two chairs..... I'll have one :-).
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Mine, The military desert camo one had Afrika Korps logo on the side. I was about to buy a deactivated Czech copy of the M42 machine gun to fix to the chair, then I had an attack of reality and sold it.
Go for it! They are mad.
KEITH640

Post by KEITH640 »

my brother had one and regrets selling it he loved it
i remember when he 1st rode it the left and barrel came undone and was lifting from the block slightly (going up and down with piston) that was funny, tightened up the bolts and carried on ,try that on a modern jap bike

Return to “BIKES”