living with a ural

The Things We Ride
Simon_100

Re: living with a ural

Post by Simon_100 »

john_aero wrote:You selling full thing for 500? If so i am interested
Maiul replied to John, but, yes, it is the full outfit (thumbs)

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Mike101 wrote:How do you find using it with the chair on the wrong side of the road?

Does it pull much?

Mike
It's not too bad as Spanish roads tend not to have much camber, but bearing in mind I live in the Pyrenees, where the roads are quite narrow, it can be a bit terrifying for the passenger!

"Does it pull much?" A rather ambiguous question :whistle: if you mean 'pull to one side' it rather adds to the fun, until you've ridden - not driven! - a chair to the outer limits you haven't lived: the front wheel skittering over the tarmac in a vain attempt for grip while you feather the throttle* and hang on to the bars with all your might, G-force tearing at your sinews all the while . . . and all at 45 mph (thumbs)

But of you mean, Does it pull? Well, when I rode here down to spain in 1991, when I was quite a young pup, I 'camped' along the way at a friend's farmhouse in France. Needless to say no cooking facilities, so I stopped by at a local posh restaurant to check an evening meal. Seeing my leathers, etc. the waitress, who was rather 'punky' and spike good english said, "Is it a Harley?" as she ran outside to take a look - well, you can guess the rest . . . so the answer to this version is, "No" :evil:

Regs

Simon

* in this case all it means it hold it wide open but be ready to shut ot off at any moment!
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

Thanks for the answers.

I've been looking at chairs for well over a year now and almost bought one in the summer.

I want something for me and my son to go off on and to enjoy camping etc together.

A lot of chairs are way over priced and more bling than useability such as the enfield powered chairs around at the moment.

I want something that will not kill me to do distances on and is easy to live with.

I think a ural is a toy..a luxary for those with money and time and not those who have limited time who want to travel a bit..but i might be wrong.

I spoke to Dave who imports them at the Salisbury rally about them and he said they will do whatever you want at 50mph...no more...so motorways are out!

What i want is a chair that looks like a ural but will cruise at 70mph...but thats not an option at the moment.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Mike101 wrote:I want something for me and my son to go off on and to enjoy camping etc together.

I want something that will not kill me to do distances on and is easy to live with.

I think a ural is a toy..a luxary for those with money and time and not those who have limited time who want to travel a bit..but i might be wrong.

I spoke to Dave who imports them at the Salisbury rally about them and he said they will do whatever you want at 50mph...no more...so motorways are out!

What i want is a chair that looks like a ural but will cruise at 70mph...but thats not an option at the moment.

Mike
Hi Mike,

That's pretty much why we bought the Dnepr: we spent loads of weekends just rolling around the Sussex countryside - OK we used to have friends with a cottage we could use - buying lovely grub from organic farms, local butchers, fish straight from the boats at Newhaven, a beer - or three :whistle: - on a village green somewhere nearby and them home . . .

The Spain idea really was a bit of a dunce - separate the chair, ride to the city to work all week, come back to the mountains, hook up the chair for shopping, camping weekends, etc. . . . typical 'exit fantasy' stuff. But of course life isn't like that . . .

I'd keep the bike if I didn't have so many other plans in mind - see my HISS rallies - plus starting a touring business, oh, and I've taken up really serious mountain hiking - all at fifty seven years young :) - and there's only so much you can do . . .

Regs

Simon

Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Follow on from the topic:

Here are more details of my Dnepr for sale - before i change my mind . . .

Simon

Tunneruk

Post by Tunneruk »

I've recently picked up a 1975 M66 650 as a project for my workshop. I'm going to do a full nut and bolt jobbie on it as a showcase for my services.

It is however a long way from standard and has had many many modifications over the years. I'm hoping to turn it into something special!

It's still sitting in the corner while I accumulate a selection of parts to start the build.
Here it is!

ImageUntitled by tunneruk, on Flickr

Image by tunneruk, on Flickr

artic fox

Post by artic fox »

have any of you spoken to Angel on here, he sells them and he's a top bloke, he will give you any advice on them and he carries spares, there is also a Russia bike web site, I used to own a Dnepr outfit which I completely re built with my son and I'm no mechanic, they are simple to work on, I also painted mine using a paint roller then sprayed it with cheap tins of matt lacquer from homebase
Never got to ride it much though as I had to sell it shortly after the rebuild but would love another one
04092011252.jpg
04092011252.jpg (55.31 KiB) Viewed 1724 times

Return to “BIKES”