living with a ural

The Things We Ride
daytona-supersport

Re: living with a ural

Post by daytona-supersport »

DanielS wrote:Get this instead. It popped up on Gumtree the other day and looks like a laugh, including machine gun! :)

http://www.gumtree.com/p/bmw-motorbikes ... 1086739403

That is brilliant. Would love to have that to play about on it. Must be one of the ultimate squaddy bikes. Chase a mate on a trumpet for the real great escape experience.
markoh

Post by markoh »

I've just bought a newer one. I love them. My latest is an early 2008 model in excellent condition with 2000km on the clock. They are great fun, brilliant for rallies and camping. I'm taking mine to the HISS rally next year and will be at the Yuletide rally with it in December.

Speed is not really an issue as it keeps up with traffic and you won't want to go much faster than that most of the time. It has a reverse gear which is brilliant and allows you to park wherever you like. If you are happy to do a bit with spanners than they are easy to maintain, lets face it they were designed to be maintained in the field by Russian squaddies and are still being used in the armies of third world countries.
bond_yzf

Post by bond_yzf »

Whats the insurance like on them
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Willy_Eckerslike wrote:Slow, drink like a fish. Older ones had the usual electrical problems but were easy to fix, but were slow. Newer ones still need a bit of tinkering with but are much better now but still slow. Did I mention how slow they are?
'Slow' is a relative term - 50 mph feels bloody fast on a Russian outfit! - besides, I rode mine down to spain quite comfortably in three shorts days, chugged up and over the Pyrenees in March no problems - apart from thinking I've ridden into the old , i.e. totally dark, Vielha tunnel with the hand-brake dragging - i'd only ever driven through it in a fast car before and didn't realise there was quite a gradient . . .
Redmurty wrote:speak to Simon he owns one

I can't persuade my Mrs to get into a chair or I would get one

cheers Spud ;)
Yes, do speak to me - it's for sale :whistle:

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

The Spanish Biker wrote:
Willy_Eckerslike wrote:Slow, drink like a fish. Older ones had the usual electrical problems but were easy to fix, but were slow. Newer ones still need a bit of tinkering with but are much better now but still slow. Did I mention how slow they are?
'Slow' is a relative term - 50 mph feels bloody fast on a Russian outfit! - besides, I rode mine down to spain quite comfortably in three shorts days, chugged up and over the Pyrenees in March no problems - apart from thinking I've ridden into the old , i.e. totally dark, Vielha tunnel with the hand-brake dragging - i'd only ever driven through it in a fast car before and didn't realise there was quite a gradient . . .
Redmurty wrote:speak to Simon he owns one

I can't persuade my Mrs to get into a chair or I would get one

cheers Spud ;)
Yes, do speak to me - it's for sale :whistle:

Simon
How much matey

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
bond_yzf

Post by bond_yzf »

Thanks for the offer simon but ive went for a k110lt instead
rodyorkabr

Post by rodyorkabr »

I look after an old Ural (1951) & sidecar with machine gun(my wifes mum...not the gun..the bike owner!)- they are excellent, but basic machines!
(that gumtree one is an DNEPR- not a BMW- although badged BMW-).....very similar (tricked out to look like a German bike, but with a soviet weapon...again feasible, but..... the BMW is as rare as hens teeth...& commands a price...this guy is selling on behalf of his "mate"- it's not a BMW.(can you see either Charlie or Ewan in the picture...or the support crew???)....no neither can I...just a bin, a limbless onlooker & rather ornate orange chair, although i'm rather fond of his shiny helmet..why he stores it on his garage door is beyond me ..although the finger prints should make this an easy catch. ;) ...its a cut and shite!

...ok then people...what was the URAL air filter made from when I got her.....GUESS!...think soviet...and then some!
markoh

Post by markoh »

bond_yzf wrote:Whats the insurance like on them
Not sure, I just added it to my existing bike policy. Didn't seem to make a lot of difference (apart from the admin fee).
markoh

Post by markoh »

Here's mine:

bond_yzf

Post by bond_yzf »

markoh wrote:Here's mine:

that is awesome (thumbs)

Return to “BIKES”