test ride of tiger, explorer, cross tourer and v-strom today

The Things We Ride
Tonibe63

Re: test ride of tiger, explorer, cross tourer and v-strom today

Post by Tonibe63 »

Thanks for the write up Wayne but can I ask what are you going to use the bike for?
A bike is just a tool for a job (with the tank badge just an excuse for people to fall out with themselves) and if you are not going to do some gravel road riding then surely a big adventure bike will be doing the same job as your ZZR1400. We met a guy and his Wife in France on a ZZR1400 who both said it was more comfortable than their previous adventure style bike.
I had a Mk1 Versys at the same time as a larger capacity adventure bike and because my riding was going more towards 2 up European travel (+gravel roads) the Versys did very few miles so was sold.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
davsato

Post by davsato »

If you want a fast comfy road blaster that will happily carry 2 plus their gear around the world and be as reliable as a hammer, then I would get a.... Pan European!
Think outside the box, if you don't want any more off road performance than you can get from any bike, as a lot of ADV bikes have these days, then why compromise on getting an overpriced ADV bike that are more fashion than purpose? Gadgets and gizmos like pressure monitors and traction control don't float my boat.
Out of all the bikes mentioned so far I'd go for the new vstrom for the stonking engine, otherwise stick with your 650
Dave
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

I'm just hanging onto my bike until sport tourers become the latest fashion! Kawasaki's Z1000SX is already their best selling bike,now there's a new VFR800 and Suzuki have just announced a GSX-S1000F. (thumbs)
waynecoluk

Post by waynecoluk »

Tonibe63 wrote:Thanks for the write up Wayne but can I ask what are you going to use the bike for?
A bike is just a tool for a job (with the tank badge just an excuse for people to fall out with themselves) and if you are not going to do some gravel road riding then surely a big adventure bike will be doing the same job as your ZZR1400. We met a guy and his Wife in France on a ZZR1400 who both said it was more comfortable than their previous adventure style bike.
I had a Mk1 Versys at the same time as a larger capacity adventure bike and because my riding was going more towards 2 up European travel (+gravel roads) the Versys did very few miles so was solbd.
I will be using the bike for pottering around, the odd commute and I do about 3 tours a year so about 8-10000 miles per year. I'm not in to off road as such but know all the bikes mentioned will do anything light.
The zzr is great but the riding position isn't that comfortable for me, its defo more sports than touring. I have toured before on a vfr750 which was OK but not a patch on an adventure style bike IMO. My Multistrada was the perfect bike for me before the engine went bang. It just wasn't reliable enough regardless of what ducati are claiming now a days.
Davsato the 1000 versys new shape could be an option but it doesn't come out until next year.
2016 BMW 1200GSA

2013 Triumph Street Triple
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I collected my Multistrada yesterday and it's only now I've ridden it after the heads have been replaced that I've remembered how good they are when they're running right and how bad it was this summer as the problem got worse.

I'm still hoping BMW bring out another version of the S1000 because that'd be the bike to make me chop in the Multistrada.
V_King

Post by V_King »

horses for courses. for me suzuki was the biggest disapointment between crosstourer and super tenere (did not try triumphs). really odd in corners and all felt out of place :(

If I were you I would try super tenere. Really nice bike for touring and very nible - you do not feel the weight on the road.

regarding explorer wobble, was you friend using hard panniers, HARD mounted to the bike? they desined it to be as agile as possible at the mass and seating position, but to have bike stable at high speeds you need to use triumphs panniers with decoupling mechanism.
""
efayce191

Post by efayce191 »

I think the Crossdresser owners are getting a little bit excited and offensive. People are entitled to their opinion without someone saying you are talking shit.
How would you get your massive 4 cylinder touring bike up that steep gravel hill the S10 just flew up. Dont worry sir my traction control will kick in and hook my rear wheel up a treat, DOH ! . Can someone help me pick my bike up please. Still LOL.
bond_yzf

Post by bond_yzf »

I wonder why anyone bothers asking anything on here

why dont you all just grow the fook up
BigBashBonanza

Post by BigBashBonanza »

Agreed Jimbo, this site is attracting a fair amount of trolls these last few months.....
Look Large, Be Massive

Follow the Sapper
Kev63

Post by Kev63 »

We recently test rode the V Strom and the Crosstourer back to back. We had the V Strom for just over an hour and the Crosstourer for nearly 2.

The Crosstourer won the day for us. For me it felt right, more comfortable than the V Strom for both of us. In fact the Mrs felt that her fillings were going to come loose on the back of the Suzuki and she started to fidget after about 45mins. I loved the V4 motor, very smooth turbine power and I felt the bike coped better with the uneven road surfaces in the Highlands. The boss on the back also raved about the pillion comfort. VERY IMPORTANT !! As most of my riding is 2 up.

Next 2 bikes to get a test ride on are a Guzzi Stelvio and an S10. The only problem with living up here in the North is getting test rides. The Crosstourer and V Strom were 2.5 hours away. We are in the North East at the end of November so are currently looking for dealers with Demos.

Return to “BIKES”