test ride of tiger, explorer, cross tourer and v-strom today

The Things We Ride
SteveW

Re: test ride of tiger, explorer, cross tourer and v-strom today

Post by SteveW »

I don't think you can really go wrong with any of these bikes.
As for their relative off road ability, it's 75% rider experience/ability.
I was riding with Simon Pavey last week, he was doing things on a GSA that I'd find hard on my 450 Enduro.
david grime

Post by david grime »

not sure about the new models at the moment but i owned the last suzuki dl1000 and it was reliable but prone to rust in areas. but i still loved it. i now have the varadero 1000 and the cross tourer is near enough the replacement for it. i love the varadero...build quality has always been hondas strong point. and up until recently have been ahead on technology. but all companies are slowly catching up now but we all tend to had our favourites for one reason or another. i too do like the cross tourer and may replace my varadero for one in the future but i am bias towards hondas and always have been....history speaks for its self...most brands are pretty good these days and it is down to what fits you the rider and what floats your boat...the more expensive bikes tend to hold value better than cheaper bikes too but budget is different for everyone and this sometimes dictates what you can have or afford....at the end of the day each to there own...

dave
waynecoluk

Post by waynecoluk »

Well to give you guys an update, today I took out the Versys 1000. It's the current model not the upcoming 2015 model as that doesn't come out for a few months yet.
I was really impressed with it. The engine is fantastic and it is proper quick with shed loads of torque in all gears at all speeds. I kept doing 6th gear 30 mph roll ons to see what it was like and it pulls very hard.
The problems I had with my 650 Versys with the vibrations, lack of power and poor seat are non existent on the 1000 and even the handling was very good despite being an additional 30-40kgs over the 650.
In summary I've ordered one. To make it even better I've got the 1000 for 9500 quid which is 500 or so less than rrp but as its the showroom model it comes with colour coded panniers, top box, centre stand, belly pan, hand guards, MRA screen and engine bars thrown in for this price. That's a huge saving and I loved the way it rode. Oh, and to top it off they are going to do the rest of the outstanding money at 0%...no brainier really.
I thought is the new bike worth all the extra money when all it is is a change of fairing and a different exhaust to the current one? With all the extras it would have been an additional 2.5k to what I have paid.
The offroad potential is still there as I will only ever go up the odd dirt track and not green landing or anything.
I'll even get used to the looks again...but let's be honest no bikes in the adventure category are what you would call a looker.
I think I have got a bargain, and I'm really happy.
Thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated.

Wayne
2016 BMW 1200GSA

2013 Triumph Street Triple

Return to “BIKES”