The new AJP PR7 Adventure

The Things We Ride
frenchy3

Re: The new AJP PR7 Adventure

Post by frenchy3 »

Well after all that i couldn,t justify spending £8500 on the AJP and purchased a ten month old SWM RS650r for half the price . It may not be as competant but more than good enough for me.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

So, what's the verdict on the SWM?
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

I like the style and the relative light weight. It seems pretty well put together and either it has a lower seat height or it settles on its suspension lower than my DRZ400S. It is the full power version at 54 or 56bhp depending on where you read it. The bike is very smooth to ride and has a great gearbox with well chosen ratios(this bike has the wide ratio gearbox as and the AJP uses the close ratio box from the Husqvarna TE630 SM/SWM SM650. With six speed gearbox,hydraulic clutch and Brembo brakes it has good components. The Marzocchi forks have less travel than many dual sport bikes but some owners bolt on the Husqvarna TE250/310 forks. The twin pipes keep it really quiet,even more than my DRZ with standard pipe. The weather has been rubbish so i will get out on it again when it improves. The Superdual screen and rack bolt straight on so i have them fitted but as the pipes are different on the superdual the bash plate will not fit as far as i know.
NomadLad

Post by NomadLad »

appleseed wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:56 pm The upgraded header is so much prettier :)
I'm very close to buying one of these... Any updates since? All still well?... hope so!

Cheers
Bikes:
-2016 BMW R1200GS LC
-2012 Triumph Speed Triple R
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

frenchy3 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:59 pm I like the style and the relative light weight. It seems pretty well put together and either it has a lower seat height or it settles on its suspension lower than my DRZ400S. It is the full power version at 54 or 56bhp depending on where you read it. The bike is very smooth to ride and has a great gearbox with well chosen ratios(this bike has the wide ratio gearbox as and the AJP uses the close ratio box from the Husqvarna TE630 SM/SWM SM650. With six speed gearbox,hydraulic clutch and Brembo brakes it has good components. The Marzocchi forks have less travel than many dual sport bikes but some owners bolt on the Husqvarna TE250/310 forks. The twin pipes keep it really quiet,even more than my DRZ with standard pipe. The weather has been rubbish so i will get out on it again when it improves. The Superdual screen and rack bolt straight on so i have them fitted but as the pipes are different on the superdual the bash plate will not fit as far as i know.
Bit of an update on the SWM.
The standard battery didn,t seem to have the guts to turn over the 12:1 compression ratio 600cc single so i fitted a new Lithium battery. Starting can be a bit hit and miss unless you flick the kill switch on and off a couple of times to properly prime the fuel system,then depending on the temperature sometimes it needs a pull on the handlebar mounted enricher lever but other times it fires without it(they have done away with this lever on the Superdual that replaced it. There has been a problem with the captive nuts spinning on the airbox lid mounts(common Husqvarna TE630 problem) This required replacement 6mm bolts being bonded into the back of the air filter case. I am really liking the bike and the gearing and six speed gearbox ratios are much better suited to road work than my DRZ400S. It is a bit more of a handful off road but i expected this and the amount of times i ride off road has reduced. Shame Husqvarna discontinued this bike and SWM did the same after a similar two year run.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

gspod

Post by gspod »

That is looking good. Seems to be that most bikes like this are around (over) the 200kg mark. With a similar price to the Ténéré, I guess a lot of people will go for the world wide dealer network.
With those stats though I’d be tempted. It says the engine has known reliability - who makes them?
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

gspod wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:40 pm That is looking good. Seems to be that most bikes like this are around (over) the 200kg mark. With a similar price to the Ténéré, I guess a lot of people will go for the world wide dealer network.
With those stats though I’d be tempted. It says the engine has known reliability - who makes them?
The engines for the AJP PR7,CCM Spitfire and the SWM RS650R and the later Superdual T/X are made by SWM in Italy using all the original tooling from the Husqvarna factory. It was all sold off when BMW dropped the models when they bought Husqvarna. I was informed that Shineray SWM,s Chinese backer makes the gearbox components but i have never managed to verify this.
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

NomadLad wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:01 pm
appleseed wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:56 pm The upgraded header is so much prettier :)
I'm very close to buying one of these... Any updates since? All still well?... hope so!

Cheers
The AJP bikes did quite well in the recent Hellas rally and have even been ridden in an enduro championship by a Portuguese rider. Torque racing are the people to speak to about these bikes.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Sat in one at NEC yesterday

Are they any good ?

Looked and felt ok
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like

Return to “BIKES”