The Suzuki DR thread.

The Things We Ride
boboneleg

Re: The Suzuki DR thread.

Post by boboneleg »

Great photo Ash. I’d buy a gasket if I were you as the Suzuki ones rarely come away intact. I have a clutch holding tool if you want to borrow it.
one-legged adventurer
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

BobH wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:56 pm IMG_0747.JPG

IMG_0749.JPG

So I was thinking I am just about done and ready for Morocco except would love to use my heated gloves for the return trip in Oct, was 0 deg last year. So maybe a new Mofet reg/rec and maybe an upgraded stator. the PO said that the NSU mod had been done..... How? B?*&%? looks like Im gonna have to strip it back down and check. Then maybe have to send for more from Procycle (panniers were 3 weeks in UK customs).

I now have a set of the wolfman pannier frames to sell, will post pictures soon as away at moment. Anyone interested drop me a line.

Your bike looks bang on Bob 8-)
I’ll definitely have your Wolfman frames if you sell them.
one-legged adventurer
Ash Richardson

Post by Ash Richardson »

Thanks Bob (uno leg) and Dave.

On the tool front Bob, that's very kind. I think by the time postage is done and paid I might have fashioned the steel bar on basket method up?

I've just been busy covering the wiring loom running round the headstock as I noticed it was getting abraded through the protective coating and wrap.....

My bike has what looks like genuine fork lower protectors, very snazzy! I've not noticed them in other peoples pictures....I'll take a photo sometime
Ash Richardson

Post by Ash Richardson »

Have any of you chaps modified the clutch for a lighter pull? If so how?

Had anyone got any pointers for a shorter clutch lever? I like to one finger pull the clutch and the big long lever isn't my favourite. I've been looking at the pro taper universal lever with reach adjust and bearing pivot at around £60.....

I've had a Clake on my KTM 400 which was superb and a Midwest mountain engineering lever on my 690 which was also very good but obviously nothing like this is available for the dr350.
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

The wiring wearing around the headstock is a common problem as is the heavy clutch lever. A new or well oiled clutch cable helps .
one-legged adventurer
The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

Ash Richardson wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:43 pm Have any of you chaps modified the clutch for a lighter pull? If so how?

Had anyone got any pointers for a shorter clutch lever? I like to one finger pull the clutch and the big long lever isn't my favourite. I've been looking at the pro taper universal lever with reach adjust and bearing pivot at around £60.....

I've had a Clake on my KTM 400 which was superb and a Midwest mountain engineering lever on my 690 which was also very good but obviously nothing like this is available for the dr350.
I used warp 9 looky likey levers from the land of chinky chong, have to say the quality is excellent but the heavy clutch pull is only worsened by a shorter lever of course. As Bob says, fit a new cable and keep it well oiled.

Sarge
Ash Richardson

Post by Ash Richardson »

Yea, I have got a new clutch cable on her, lubed up to the hilts. It's actually quite good for a cable clutch, I just love a very light clutch.

I found a zeta lever with an adjustable cam in that looks worth a try. My current lever is like a floppy cock so needs replacing anyway.

http://www.zeta-racing.com/lever/pivot_ ... index.html
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Ash Richardson wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:38 am Yea, I have got a new clutch cable on her, lubed up to the hilts. It's actually quite good for a cable clutch, I just love a very light clutch.

I found a zeta lever with an adjustable cam in that looks worth a try. My current lever is like a floppy cock so needs replacing anyway.

http://www.zeta-racing.com/lever/pivot_ ... index.html
That might work Ash. Looks funky too (especially on an old DR). I've just been trying to fiddle with the throw on my Beta clutch lever. OK it's hydraulic so very different to yours, but I thought I'd fiddle about making some kind of shim so that your hand effectively applies effort a bit earlier in the throw. I've put it inside the cup where the span adjuster meets the piston rod. It has kind of worked, though I'm not convinced until I do some nadgery woods work and I can really feel if there's a difference. With a cable I suppose you'd have to add something where the cable nipple sits to effectively shorten it. None of this alters leverage (only something clever like a Clake can do that, or maybe that Zeta variable cam thing) but it might improve feel.

If you want a light clutch try feeling up a post 2017 KTM300EXC. I had a little play with Herman's (ooh err matron) - bloody lovely. :D
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Hey feck off out of our thread with that "Orange nonsence " :lol:
Ash Richardson

Post by Ash Richardson »

Yea I think the new Betas and KTMs are sorted, very light, which is what you want!

Phil.... My KTM 690 Clutch was lovely! It was KTM, a lovely KTM. I used to ride a KTM. I'd have another KTM.......

Return to “BIKES”