The Suzuki DR thread.

The Things We Ride
Andi_Archer

Re: The Suzuki DR thread.

Post by Andi_Archer »

Mad Hatter wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:18 pm Answered my own question, still £290 though :shock:

https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorcyc ... -lever-kit
Its a pity you cant adapt the Rekluse concept to your bike to give you an automatic clutch
https://rekluse.com/
Mad Hatter

Post by Mad Hatter »

Andi_Archer wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:56 am
Mad Hatter wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:18 pm Answered my own question, still £290 though :shock:

https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorcyc ... -lever-kit
Its a pity you cant adapt the Rekluse concept to your bike to give you an automatic clutch
https://rekluse.com/
Apparently its been done using mostly parts from the drz400 kit
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

@Ash Richardson

Filter and cage.............
IMG_2626.jpg
IMG_2626.jpg (107.28 KiB) Viewed 3154 times
one-legged adventurer
Ash Richardson

Post by Ash Richardson »

Yes Bob, I'll have it, message me the info I need to give you the monies!
bowber

Post by bowber »

Hi, wanting some ideas and maybe parts.
My cousin bought my old 93 kick only 350 a year ago and it's been fine until late last year. Basically it would run for a short time, less than a minute and then stop, it'd start again a short time later, run for a short time and stop.
He fitted the spare carb and had the same result.
After some testing he figured the trigger coil was faulty so got an ebay replacement.
Now we have checked the spark and it can jump a huge gap easily, 1/2" plus, new cap, new plug, valve timing checked, tappets checked, flywheel position checked, carb completely stripped and cleaned, float height checked, new fuel but it refuses to start and will only kick back occasionally.
It feels like timing to me but unless the cdi has messed up then the only thing we can think of is the new trigger coil has a much higher ohm reading than the manual says, this might mean the trigger voltage is being reached sooner than needed. We re checked the old trigger and it starts off in the correct range (around 200 ohm) but as you heat it up it rapidly changes so I think he's found the original problem but fitted the wrong trigger. The 93 SP has one trigger, later bikes have 2.
So does anyone have any other ideas?
Could do with some original parts to try on it but obviously they're like hens teeth.

Hopefully this makes sense as I wrote it on my phone.

Steve
Mad Hatter

Post by Mad Hatter »

I know it sounds obvious but have you checked the fuel filter and the tank breather?
bowber

Post by bowber »

Mad Hatter wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:00 pm I know it sounds obvious but have you checked the fuel filter and the tank breather?
Yes, check and rechecked, plenty of fresh fuel in the carb and signs it's reached the plug.
Also retried the old plug and cap.
He's just told me it looks like Crooks in Barrow have a genuine trigger coil in stock so he's getting a price.

Steve
Mad Hatter

Post by Mad Hatter »

bowber wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:27 pm
Mad Hatter wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:00 pm I know it sounds obvious but have you checked the fuel filter and the tank breather?
Yes, check and rechecked, plenty of fresh fuel in the carb and signs it's reached the plug.
Also retried the old plug and cap.
He's just told me it looks like Crooks in Barrow have a genuine trigger coil in stock so he's getting a price.

Steve
Stands to reason it must be the trigger coil then if the old one was running it but breaking down when warm. What does the eBay jobby one measure at?
bowber

Post by bowber »

He measured it at 500 ohms, which is the reading he found for the later bikes. He's now found another one that is meant to have a reading of 200 ohm which is in the middle of the spec for his year of DR.
He's also found some new old stock CDI's so if it's still not right he'll get one of them.

We'll see once this arrives, bit frustrating but that's old bikes for you.

Steve
Mad Hatter

Post by Mad Hatter »

Going back to the lighter clutch conversation the other day, I actually got around to picking up my little gizmo. Its just a pivoted arm in a fancy metal box, perfect example of leverage in action though.

It will reduce the clutch travel but hopefully I'll still have enough otherwise I'll have to go back to a normal sized lever instead of my cut down one which means I'll suffer on long clutch in technical down hill stuff but needs must and all that.
IMG_20180225_125639.jpg
IMG_20180225_125639.jpg (70.22 KiB) Viewed 3025 times

Return to “BIKES”