The Suzuki DR thread.

The Things We Ride
daveuprite

Re: The Suzuki DR thread.

Post by daveuprite »

Just finished changing the oil pump gears and clutch basket on my Beta. No special tools. Main bolt is 100nm.

So I put the bike in 6th gear, stuck an extension bar in the rear sprocket/brake disc, cable-tied the rear brake in the on position and planted my left foot on the tyre wall/rim with as much weight as poss. This is just enough to break out the bolt with a normal length torque wrench.

Some people put a copper washer or brass coin in the gears. It's sacrificed in the process but if you are gentle it helps to lock things up. I didn't quite have the guts to do this, just in case it lunched the gears.

Best of luck with it...
Ash Richardson

Post by Ash Richardson »

Nice tips! Thanks, I'll give it a go.

Am I wasting my time hoping the case gasket will come away fine? Should I order a gasket in preparation? I got away with it in my ktm......
Nico-D

Post by Nico-D »

daveuprite wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:36 pm Just finished changing the oil pump gears and clutch basket on my Beta.
Dave did you get the boano metal replacement gears ? What state were the old ones in and how many hours had they clocked ?

Apologies for drifting off Suzuki DR thread :roll:
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

I'd get another gasket Ash less than £9.00 fromwemoto
http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/suzuki/dr_3 ... er_gasket/
BobH

Post by BobH »

IMG_0747.JPG
IMG_0747.JPG (289.08 KiB) Viewed 2639 times
IMG_0749.JPG
IMG_0749.JPG (227.88 KiB) Viewed 2639 times
So I was thinking I am just about done and ready for Morocco except would love to use my heated gloves for the return trip in Oct, was 0 deg last year. So maybe a new Mofet reg/rec and maybe an upgraded stator. the PO said that the NSU mod had been done..... How? B?*&%? looks like Im gonna have to strip it back down and check. Then maybe have to send for more from Procycle (panniers were 3 weeks in UK customs).

I now have a set of the wolfman pannier frames to sell, will post pictures soon as away at moment. Anyone interested drop me a line.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Nico-D wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:49 pm
daveuprite wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:36 pm Just finished changing the oil pump gears and clutch basket on my Beta.
Dave did you get the boano metal replacement gears ? What state were the old ones in and how many hours had they clocked ?

Apologies for drifting off Suzuki DR thread :roll:
Good question Senor Nico (sorry can't find the sideways 's' thing..)

I replaced them with new plastic gears. Boano are not stocking the metal gears at the moment. I think they are waiting to commission another batch. But the plastic gears are about 1/50th the price anyway and it's not that difficult a job to do every 150 hours, so I went for the plastic again. The old ones were absolutely perfect - not one tooth damaged or missing. They didn't look any different to the new ones. But at least I know they are done now. Fitted a new clutch basket at the same time. Old one was a bit scored here and there but not terrible. The clutch plates/steels were excellent - no need to replace right now so I've re-fitted them. Did a full hydraulic re-bleed too - which makes all the difference on these bikes. Nice fresh gearbox transoil and coolant and Peter the Beta is all ready to go again. Should be OK for Phil's run to Rocamadour next Sunday.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Ash Richardson wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:35 pm Nice tips! Thanks, I'll give it a go.

Am I wasting my time hoping the case gasket will come away fine? Should I order a gasket in preparation? I got away with it in my ktm......
Ash, on my particular bike you can remove and refit the inner clutch casing without buying new gaskets each time. It's a tough rubber jobby and it's OK to reuse it, as long as you don't find any nicks or tears in it.

But there is a much larger paper/card gasket that seals the outer clutch/gearbox casing. If you have to remove the whole outer cover often the old gasket will disintegrate as you separate the cover from the engine - so you need to have a fresh one ready in advance.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

BobH wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:56 pm IMG_0747.JPG

IMG_0749.JPG

So I was thinking I am just about done and ready for Morocco except would love to use my heated gloves for the return trip in Oct, was 0 deg last year. So maybe a new Mofet reg/rec and maybe an upgraded stator. the PO said that the NSU mod had been done..... How? B?*&%? looks like Im gonna have to strip it back down and check. Then maybe have to send for more from Procycle (panniers were 3 weeks in UK customs).

I now have a set of the wolfman pannier frames to sell, will post pictures soon as away at moment. Anyone interested drop me a line.
Good pic. Looks really up and ready to go. Have a great trip.
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Looks the bollox Bob , i'm toying with the idea of some usd forks , got a set of husky ones in the shed with wheel ,caliper and the works just need to size up the bareings.
If the winds blowing the right way i'll see you in Maroc ;)
The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

BobH wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:56 pm IMG_0747.JPG

IMG_0749.JPG

That looks like a well fettled DR Bob !

Return to “BIKES”