If you like your adventures to be lightweight......

The Things We Ride
Gavinskii

If you like your adventures to be lightweight......

Post by Gavinskii »

20126days.jpg
20126days.jpg (93.53 KiB) Viewed 2462 times
2012bodywork.jpg
2012bodywork.jpg (81.92 KiB) Viewed 2462 times
20126days4stroke.jpg
20126days4stroke.jpg (110.15 KiB) Viewed 2462 times
R1150GS

Montesa 4Ride

KLX 250

Suzuki Beamish

2011 Nature Rally - Bronze Award
Alun

Re: If you like your adventures to be lightweight......

Post by Alun »

They make it look so easy, eh.
VR_Rider

Post by VR_Rider »

cheers for sharing, looks awesome!
Sprockette

Post by Sprockette »

I'm heading towards lightness personally. The way my RXS copes with things on the trail is a bit of an eye-opener for me. I'm sure there are plenty of things it won't be able to do but at 98kg dry I think its light weight has something to do with why its so easy and stress-free. I'm sure anything that would unstick the RXS would be fine for a light enduro bike.

Nice video by the way, gorgeous bikes and amazing riding. I love the look of those shiny expansion chambers on the 2-strokes.
Lord Sut

Post by Lord Sut »

If lightweight adventures are your thing check out www.blackc90.com.
Harty

Post by Harty »

Getting a KTM will certainly be lightweight, even more so whilst your riding along and the parts are falling off behind you ;-)
.....eat my dirt!
ChasF

Post by ChasF »

KTM should make one or some of these models with all the lightweight stuff but a detuned engine with extended service intervals and no added luxuries (instruments, screens etc.) which only add weight.

Yamaha made the WR250R but it weighed a lot more than the F which spoiled it. I think there is a niche for a full spec enduro but with a milder engine and slightly longer gearing weighing in at around 100kg.

2012 Ktms look lovely - it'd be a shame to get them dirty.
Gavinskii

Post by Gavinskii »

Harty wrote:Getting a KTM will certainly be lightweight, even more so whilst your riding along and the parts are falling off behind you ;-)
I give mine a couple of thousand miles a year of "spirited" green lane and enduro / hare and hounds riding and nothing dropped off yet :)
ChasF wrote: KTM should make one or some of these models with all the lightweight stuff but a detuned engine with extended service intervals and no added luxuries (instruments, screens etc.) which only add weight.
I tried quite a few in the range and found the EXC 450 a bit too lively for TRF trail riding - puts down so much power it sometimes struggles in gnarlier conditions. I've also played on the EXC 200 2 smoke which is mega light and has plenty of go, I just don't feel relaxed on big descents without some engine braking B)

After much deliberation I settled on the EXC 400, which although only 50cc less that the 450 is far less agressive, has the magic electric start button and is still reasonably light at circa 120kg. Although the KTM's have the perception of being "high maintenance", for trail riding this just isn't so. They only have a small oil sump (compared to the jap stuff) so oil needs changing more regularly (especially compared with a tourer). I tend to change oil and filter every 500-750 miles. Which in reality is every 5ish full days out laning and takes no more than 30 mins to do. To be honest the oil that comes out is pretty clean so this is probably OTT. But one has to remember that the bikes are developed for racing, yet I guess I dont typically use more than 35% of its capability so nothing is under duress and the guys that trail ride don't do a full rebuild every 75 hours (as per the rumours):woohoo:
Every person I've let try her out have been really impressed
R1150GS

Montesa 4Ride

KLX 250

Suzuki Beamish

2011 Nature Rally - Bronze Award
herman

Post by herman »

I had the same deliberations when I came to replace my 450 Honda, 400 exc or 200? Went for the 200 , farkled it a bit and love it. Did a 160 mile day a couple of weeks ago (makes you learn to stand up more) Image
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Sprockette

Post by Sprockette »

Good to hear all these nice things about KTMs. Thinking that the 690 Enduro is my best bet as far as adventure bikes go. Powerful enough for road riding, light enough for trails and a lower seat height than my much-missed DR-Z (and about the same weight!). I have promised myself a nice present of a new bike when I finish my studies and the 690 is high on my list. Although, it is a very long list! There are so many nice bikes out there. But lightness and nimbleness are things I would be interested in.

And lowered suspension. Not so far to fall when the inevitable happens. :P

Got to love those 2-strokes though, "burble, burble, ring-a-ding-ding". Fantastic.

Return to “BIKES”